Way Too Early Look at Next Year

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm not sure how next year will play out, but there are a couple guys we need to make pretty big jumps from this year to next year. I'm sure Prohm will tell them the areas he sees they need to improve and the guys will put in the work.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
If we can land a 10/8 post (whether JUCO or grad transfer) and a 38+% 3 pt shooter, I bet we we scratch into the tournament. If we don't hit on both, I'd guess the wrong side of the bubble. Summer like last summer and we'll be like somewhere between Texas and TCU.

Reactions: woodm07

FSD

Jul 5, 2015
I'm not sure how next year will play out, but there are a couple guys we need to make pretty big jumps from this year to next year. I'm sure Prohm will tell them the areas he sees they need to improve and the guys will put in the work.

A large concern for next year; 70 of our 76 points last night, say it again, 70 of 76, are not back next year! 92% of our scoring last night is gone.

The question is where is that kind of point production consistently coming next year? Without looking it up, I can only presume that type of stat played out over a good % of the season?

We will see.

• Agree
Reactions: State43

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I love Solomon's gritty play, and think he'll be a really good player for us, but we badly need a big man that can be a serious scoring threat and can create his own looks.
This, the pick and roll was totally ineffective with him just because they didn't respect his roll. Rightfully so.

But I do like the work he put in on the defensive side. He'll have to improve on his footwork and hands this offseason for the offensive side, but he seems willing to put the work in so I have high hopes for Mr. Young.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
We are so used to having several key, experienced players returning. Next year will be so different. I expect lots of inconsistency. I expect some great growth and I expect some guys are going to make big jumps, because they have to. I'm not sure if we will make the tourney next year due the lack of experience, but I do feel the CSP is laying a great base for the future. We will need to embrace the youth in our program next year and enjoy the process. Very few programs could graduate 6 seniors and not take a step back.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I think expectations have been high, reasonably so, the last few years. Given the unknowns, I hope we can temper them a little bit because no matter who comes in, the first half of the season will most likely be pretty rough. Look at the growing pains this year with Seniors.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
This, the pick and roll was totally ineffective with him just because they didn't respect his roll. Rightfully so.

But I do like the work he put in on the defensive side. He'll have to improve on his footwork and hands this offseason for the offensive side, but he seems willing to put the work in so I have high hopes for Mr. Young.

I agree. I think a summer of development will be huge. Plus his role this year was way different than what it needs to be next year. I would expect more offense out of Young next year.

Reactions: simply1

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I'm hoping Young has some Ejim in him and can become a leader with the seniors gone. Jackson seems like a guy that can take that roll too.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm just not sure I see NWB at the point at all? His ball handling isn't where it needs to be IMO. I still think Wigginton comes in and is our starting PG from day one. Jackson at the 2, and NWB at the 3.

They might all be interchangeable which would be fine too.

We need Juiston though. At KU he'd get about 10 mins a game, and at ISU he'd get about 30. He has a very limited time (2 years) to show the NBA his game, so coming to ISU would benefit him greatly in that aspect.

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
With what we currently have coming back, here's how I see the Day 1 lineup looking. Still think people are sleeping on Lewis a little bit:

G-Babb
G-Wigginton
G-Jackson
G/F-Lewis
F-Young

If we add someone like Juiston or a comparable JUCO/Grad Transfer, they'd probably replace Lewis, knocking Lewis down to 6th man.

Others in Rotation:
Lard
J. Long
McNeill
Kasongo

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I tell you what, the guys returning have some great role models to think about and hopefully carry on as a tradition for next year. That's how you build the culture.

Clones15

Feb 17, 2017
I'm just not sure I see NWB at the point at all? His ball handling isn't where it needs to be IMO. I still think Wigginton comes in and is our starting PG from day one. Jackson at the 2, and NWB at the 3.

They might all be interchangeable which would be fine too.

We need Juiston though. At KU he'd get about 10 mins a game, and at ISU he'd get about 30. He has a very limited time (2 years) to show the NBA his game, so coming to ISU would benefit him greatly in that aspect.

I agree with this. A lot of people here have been saying they think Babb is the PG next year, but I don't see it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see him more as a wing with Wigginton starting at the point and Jackson knocking down threes from the shooting guard spot, like you mentioned above. I know we won't have the shooters next year that we are used to having, but Wigginton's ability to drive (from the videos I've watched, hopefully that translates to the Big 12) seems like it would help to set up Jackson, Babb, and hopefully a grad transfer for open threes.

Stanton327

Mar 19, 2015
The Big XII is going to be tough next year. if history is any indication, we will probably be picked to finish in the bottom tier again. The good news is that we usually finish way better than expected.

We have somewhat of a tradition going now, and I wouldn't downplay that. Making the dance is now expected and I really think the team will be better than advertised, and know how to rise to the occasion. The guys coming back know what it takes, and you throw in some really good recruits, and I have some optimism.

Remember when we were picked to finish last with new guys coming in like Willoughby, and Cato? How about coming off a 15-15 season with LE, and we had some guys named Tinsley, Horton and Nurse. I think we were predicted to finish almost last that season.

Having Babb, Young and Jackson coming back is a really good thing. Those guys are battle tested and I really expect them to make even more improvement in their games next year. They will be leaders, and I'm certain we will make the Dance again....

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Agree on this, it was so strange that we had so many players unwilling to pass him the ball when he was rolling. I realize we never saw how he handled those kind of passes in practices but to not even try passing to him the ball made PNR just Monte with a long 2 or a 3. I think with teammates willingness to pass him the ball in the future we'll see a 10ppg scorer in Young even next year.

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines

The pick n roll with Young would have been a lot more effective if he would have gotten the ball more. Often he had a clear path to basket after the pick & wouldn't get the ball.

I think his offense will take huge strides next year.