WBB: ***#10 Iowa State at #16 Iowa (Wed., 6:00)***

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
At the end of the day, I expected this to be a loss. A rivalry game against a top 25 opponent on the road. Nothing shameful for the loss.

It does bring up a lot of questions about our offense and the defensive intensity that seems to slack when the offense isn't working. Some of that is something the coaches can help with (the focus on defensive intensity).

We are still fine if we can adjust and a few players continue to get more confidence (Soares and Fritz) - also, I can't believe I'm typing this, but Joens needs to be more aggressive in hunting her shots at times. I don't want her playing hero ball, but she still needs to take at least 10 shots per half.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Because they are going to lose games? Everyone does. And chances are we will drop a couple or three in a row. The minute that happens this place will go into nuclear meltdown mode.

yep, it's basketball, so I try not to get too upset by singular losses or such - only when we see trends that are concerning. GREAT teams can still loose 10+ games, sometimes the ball just doesn't go through the hoop.

• Winner
Reactions: kcdc4isu and jctisu

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
That can all be super exciting but sports doesn't work like 'well we're ranked this and that so it should just happen'.

I would guess they'll get to the tourney, win a game, maybe two and struggle with anyone that can pound the ball.
The game has changed during BF's tenure and he hasn't adjusted. Your prognostication is likely right on. Eventually in the tourney, you run into an intense physical team...usually sooner rather than later, because that's the nature of the women's game now...and that's just something that BF just doesn't do.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
yep, it's basketball, so I try not to get too upset by singular losses or such - only when we see trends that are concerning. GREAT teams can still loose 10+ games, sometimes the ball just doesn't go through the hoop.
Couldn’t have said this any better. What you watch for are trends. Guys right now you know they are going to bring the intensity every time. Offense is going to be a ride again. Only thing you wonder is if they push it too much and wear down. Last year I think that happened but they got a second wind. As long as you make the tournament and peak there you are doing what needs to be done.

The women have a nasty trend right now and it’s the 2nd Half of games.

• Agree
Reactions: acoustimac and ISC

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I didn’t think Bill could coach a win tonight, but I didn't think he would get his ass kicked
Bill is Bluder’s *****. She has absolutely owned him over the last several years.

I don’t get why he’s trying to accomplish on offense. We are built to run a move the ball free flowing offense and it couldn’t be more stagnant. That’s 100% on Bill.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
We shot poorly on the road to a ranked team and lost. It happens.

Biggest takeaway is that the team still has a ways to go to learn how to do use one of the most talented centers we’ve ever had. We need more experience with set plays for Soares so Joens and the rest of the team know where they need to be in the half court.
They’ll be tough come tournament time.

Reactions: NENick

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
On the road against a good team, probably top 15, if not top 10 team. Had a stretch when shots stopped falling and it snowballed. It's a loss, nothing more. The team will bounce back. Some on CF will lag a little behind.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Because they are going to lose games…? Everyone does. And chances are we will drop a couple or three in a row. The minute that happens this place will go into nuclear meltdown mode.
Well I'm hoping we don't lose as many this year so the board doesn't melt down. At this point I'm going to be optimistic knowing we'll lose a few, but won't go on a couple ugly skids like last season.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We shot poorly on the road to a ranked team and lost. It happens.

Biggest takeaway is that the team still has a ways to go to learn how to do use one of the most talented centers we’ve ever had. We need more experience with set plays for Soares so Joens and the rest of the team know where they need to be in the half court.
They’ll be tough come tournament time.

And it looked like Iowa was just throwing stuff up there and it went in.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
On the road against a good team, probably top 15, if not top 10 team. Had a stretch when shots stopped falling and it snowballed. It's a loss, nothing more. The team will bounce back. Some on CF will lag a little behind.
Not sure about top 10 team. They’ve been pretty meh this year and in their losses, which were against that top-15 level they have not looked good. Honestly even tonight they looked awful the 1st Half and then started knocking down shots. Their defense will be their undoing again.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Well I'm hoping we don't lose as many this year so the board doesn't melt down. At this point I'm going to be optimistic knowing we'll lose a few, but won't go on a couple ugly skids like last season.
I don't know. This team is showing a very disconcerting tendency to disappear offensively for stretches...long stretches. If they don't fix it...the skids could get very ugly.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Not sure about top 10 team. They’ve been pretty meh this year and in their losses, which were against that top-15 level they have not looked good. Honestly even tonight they looked awful the 1st Half and then started knocking down shots. Their defense will be their undoing again.
It's like this team is so coached to not foul.....they NEVER foul. Ha. But there were several times and situations tonight where they should have unintentionally intentionally thrown a hammer down....like they were doing to us. You have 5 fouls.....use them. Especially bench people. That Diew sequence and the weak ole' was not ideal. SWAT someone sometimes instead of giving the layup.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I don't know. This team is showing a very disconcerting tendency to disappear offensively for stretches...long stretches. If they don't fix it...the skids could get very ugly.
We have King coming in a couple weeks. What stretches are u talking about? Legs went out at the end of UCONN. Can't think if any other. I like this team a lot better than last. Nice to have some frontcourt depth and some fouls to give this season. One thing I do notice with this team. They miss a ton of bunnies. Point blank 4ft out and they get in stretches nothing falls. That should clean up I hope, and again that's kinda King's game.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We have King coming in a couple weeks. What stretches are u talking about? Legs went out at the end of UCONN. Can't think if any other. I like this team a lot better than last. Nice to have some frontcourt depth and some fouls to give this season. One thing I do notice with this team. They miss a ton of bunnies. Point blank 4ft out and they get in stretches nothing falls. That should clean up I hope, and again that's kinda King's game.

Wrong thread. Talking WBB tonight versus Iowa not MBB game, that's tomorrow.

Reactions: acoustimac

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron