*** WBB: #9 ISU at #25 K-State Tuesday 6:30 ESPN+ - Game Thread ***

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I really suppose I didn't want to get into this discussion. You obviously follow basketball more closely than I, I used to be more involved, but Trump showed up and it has been tough to care. This year has turned me around a little, seeing the re-emergence of the men's team, I had to start following the women as well since they really deserve it. My other excuse is that I am stuck in a place that it is tough to watch basketball. I just figured out a way recently.

Thinking about the game again, the men had as good a chance to win their game and missed the shot. I just wish both shots would have gone in.

LOL politics is why I LOVE watching basketball. Gives me something fun. Glad your enjoying watching again Mitten. That's the part that really counts.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Sidenote, Noah and Jamie are a lot of fun to listen to on the radio. Biased as all get out, but their passion really shines thru.

• Agree
Reactions: gizzsdad

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
No, I'm saying it's absurd to call a wide open three by a career 40% 3 point shooter who is, albeit in limited action due to injury, shooting 58% from 3, a lucky shot. Half court shots are lucky. Wide open 3s aren't lucky, bank or no bank.

Agree.

Here's my take on "lucky" shots: Putting on a blindfold, turning your back to the basket and the ball goes in after you toss the ball over your shoulder, that's luck.

As I have aged I have come to believe that "luck", if one wants to label it that way, if very very often a product of prior preparation, regardless of the endeavor. Those who have prepared the most are much more likely to experience "luck". 50% percent 3 point shooters didn't get that way with luck. It is likely they have put up, quite literally, 10s of thousands 3 point shots starting in grade school, through middle school and high school and on the AAU circuit through hundreds of games and practices and individual workouts. Thus, they have prepared themselves in innumerable ways many of us cannot even begin to comprehend.

I watched Heather Ezell for four years shoot threes for ISU. She was kinda successful at it. She holds the school record for made threes, well over 250. In fours years of regular season play I do not remember her ever banking a three. Then, her senior year we are playing Michigan State in the Sweet Sixteen. ISU is behind the whole game until she banks a three near the end of the 4th quarter that, as I recall, either gave us our first lead of the night or tied the game. Luck? Nah. Heather prepared for that moment. I'm inclined to believe MEM did too.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Coach said after the game there are usually 5 games or so each season where if the ball goes your way it makes the difference, last night was one of them. I'm grateful for it.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I took a charge from Tonya Burns in a pick-up game at State Gym. It was worth it.
I used to play some of those Friday afternoon pickups too. Man those WBB players were fundamental. When they set a pick, you weren't going through.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I took a charge from Tonya Burns in a pick-up game at State Gym. It was worth it.
Oh, the nostalgia of our youth! Waiting your turn to play on the beaten up old wood floors of State Gym or Beyer Hall. Pretty but unattainable Tonya Burns…

But then you kinda lose me, like taking a charge ever happened in pick up games, and from a girl no less! :). Thanks for the memories!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Oh, the nostalgia of our youth! Waiting your turn to play on the beaten up old wood floors of State Gym or Beyer Hall. Pretty but unattainable Tonya Burns…

But then you kinda lose me, like taking a charge ever happened in pick up games, and from a girl no less! :). Thanks for the memories!

I wonder if they still do pick up games in Beyer? Last time I wandered campus it sure didn't look like State was used for pick up games any more.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
LOL politics is why I LOVE watching basketball. Gives me something fun. Glad your enjoying watching again Mitten. That's the part that really counts.
Plenty of politics in basketball, Republicans are trying to set up winners and losers no so it is like a big 12 basketball game. This was not surprising if you have been following both sports for awhile.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
I wonder if they still do pick up games in Beyer? Last time I wandered campus it sure didn't look like State was used for pick up games any more.
Still plenty of pick up being played in the old part of state gym when I was in school after their major renovation 10-12 years ago

Reactions: NWICY

Help Support Us

Become a patron