WBB All Big 12 Awards will be announced..

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Bridget POY and first team!! Kristen second team and Ashley all Freshman team!!

Great job by our great players.
Edit:
To bad COY is not what it should have been. The winner should have won the league with the team she had. IMHO Bill did an outstanding job taking the team picked for 6th to end up 2nd is a much better coaching job.

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Coach of the Year: Kim Mulkey, Baylor (19th season at Baylor, 19th overall)
Player of the Year: Bridget Carleton, Iowa State, G, 6-1, Sr., Chatham, Ontario, Canada
Defensive Player of the Year: Lauren Cox, Baylor, F, 6-4, Jr., Flower Mound, Texas
Newcomer of the Year: Vivian Gray, Oklahoma State, G, 6-1, So., Argyle, Texas
Freshman of the Year: Chrislyn Carr, Texas Tech, G, 5-5, Davenport, Iowa
Sixth Man Award: Kari Niblack, West Virginia, F, 6-1, Fr., Leesburg, Fla.

All-Big 12 First Team (honors listed alphabetical by school)

Player School Pos Ht Cl Hometown
Kalani Brown+^** Baylor C 6-7 Sr. Slidell, La.
Lauren Cox+** Baylor F 6-4 Jr. Flower Mound, Texas
Bridget Carleton+^** Iowa State G 6-1 Sr. Chatham, Ontario, Canada
Kayla Goth% Kansas State G 6-1 Sr. DeForest, Wis.
Peyton Williams Kansas State F 6-4 Jr. Topeka, Kan.
Vivian Gray** Oklahoma State G 6-1 So. Argyle, Texas
Jordan Moore TCU C 6-3 Sr. Round Rock, Texas
Sug Sutton Texas G 5-8 Jr. St. Louis, Mo.
Naomi Davenport% West Virginia G/F 6-0 Sr. Cincinnati, Ohio
Tynice Martin^** West Virginia G 5-11 R-Jr. Atlanta, Ga.

All-Big 12 Second Team

Chloe Jackson Baylor G 5-8 Gr. Upper Marlboro, Md.
Juicy Landrum Baylor G 5-8 Jr. Waco, Texas
Kristin Scott Iowa State C 6-3 So. Kasson, Minn.
Ana Llanusa Oklahoma G 6-0 So. Choctaw, Okla.
Amy Okonkwo% TCU F 6-2 Sr. Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.

All-Big 12 Honorable Mention

Alexa Middleton (Iowa State), Kylee Kopatich (Kansas), Christalah Lyons (Kansas), Braxtin Miller (Oklahoma State), Joyner Holmes (Texas), Danni Williams (Texas), Brittany Brewer (Texas Tech), Chrislyn Carr (Texas Tech).

** Unanimous First Team Selection (coaches cannot vote for own players, unanimous denotes voted first team by other nine coaches)
+ 2017-18 All-Big 12 First Team Selection
% 2017-18 All-Big 12 Second Team Selection
^ 2016-17 All-Big 12 First Team
> 2016-17 All-Big 12 Second Team

Big 12 All-Defensive Team

Kalani Brown Baylor C 6-7 Sr. Slidell, La.
Lauren Cox^** Baylor F 6-4 Jr. Flower Mound, Texas
DiDi Richards Baylor G 6-1 So. Cypress, Texas
Peyton Williams Kansas State F 6-4 Jr. Topeka, Kan.
Jordan Moore TCU C 6-3 Sr. Round Rock, Texas

** Unanimous Selection (coaches cannot vote for own players, unanimous denotes selected for team on other nine ballots)
^2017-18 Selection

Big 12 All-Freshman Team

Player School Pos Ht Hometown
Ashley Joens Iowa State G 6-0 Iowa City, Iowa
Christianna Carr Kansas State G 6-1 Manhattan, Kan.
Taylor Robertson Oklahoma G 5-7 McPherson, Kan.
Chrislyn Carr Texas Tech G 5-5 Davenport, Iowa
Madisen Smith West Virginia G 5-5 Greenville, S.C.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I personally thought that Bill would win COY. I was next to positive that Carleton would get POY. And I also thought it was a lock that Joens make the all freshman team. I know many times we as the fans don't always agree with the votes, but this was not done by a bunch of sports writers from the east and west coast that were filled with bias. This was the coaching staffs of all the Big 12 teams. They saw each other twice. They look at the stat sheets, the W-L records etc etc and cast their votes. So this is the decision they made.

TX on the other hand was projected to be the solid #2 team in the league. This has been a disappointing year for them and that is well reflected in the votes that were cast. They had only one player make the all Big 12 team and two were given honorable mention.

Many things throughout the season can affect these votes. Especially when it comes to the freshman. Collier and Smith were the co-favorites to be FOY. But neither of them got much playing time due to the starters ahead of them. Look out the next three years though. Both of them will likely be WNBA picks when they graduate and I doubt any of those selected on the 1st team will make it that far. Many freshmen even decide on where to go based on whether they will get to start as a frosh. When a team really needs help, such as TT & OU did this year it's very easy for them to exploit themselves because nobody else is better.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Only thing that disappoints me is COY, I thought Bill deserved it this yr. Baylor freshman not on the freshman team, no big surprise they just don't get enough playing time too many good players ahead of them.

Well onto the B12 tourney then the NCAA's.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Only thing that disappoints me is COY, I thought Bill deserved it this yr. Baylor freshman not on the freshman team, no big surprise they just don't get enough playing time too many good players ahead of them.

Well onto the B12 tourney then the NCAA's.
Good outlook NWICY. If you don't like where your ranked in the polls or how the arm chair point guards voted on individual honors, then the best thing to do is just go out there and whup up on em and show em who's who and what's what.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
I am glad that Alexa got Honorable Mention, but thought she should be solid member of 2nd Team All Big12. Really glad the Kristin got 2nd team; we'll be hearing more about her in the future - Joens too. But while Bridget deserves every and all credit for our success this year, I really think that Alexa played a major role as well. She came in as a senior transfer and did a really, really great job on the point. I think her contribution was maybe underestimated. You just don't finish 2nd in this league unless you have a very solid, effective point guard.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
FWIW, I'll take Joens over Chrislyn Carr Texas Tech as Freshman of the Year. I think the coaches were all "Ooooh, she's only 5-5 and scoring 16 points a game!" Well, she attempted more FG's than Bridgett and had more turnovers than assists. Shot 31% from the field and 24% from three while jacking up 146 attempts from three. 2nd worst shooting percentage among the top 50 scorers in the league at #49. The only one worse was her teammate Hayden at #50. These are some seriously ****** stats. Think about that, the player with the 2nd worst shooting percentage in the league was 2nd in attempted field goals (10 behind V. Gray). :eek:

Hey, everyone else was ranting about something today so I had to get mine in! ;)

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
IMHO what hurt Ashley was the fact she had a few games in which she did not score much. But like Boxster I will take her everytime over this years selection.

PS I am biased but I still think Ashley is better.
PSS: And Bill should have been COY as I stated in an earlier post. KM won the league championship but was picked to do that had no major injuries among her players so she just did what was expected.

Last edited:

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Getting really tired of the hacks at the coach and a few players. I think some people who hide behind their anonymous name think it is perfectly acceptable to say whatever they want about whoever they want. Sorry, but for some of us, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face, you should say it here. The crap thrown at CSP is horrible. He isn't perfect but his record here is pretty decent, and he will get better. We have seen that every year he has been out coach. I used to enjoy CF because I could learn things, and get a different perspective on things. It was fun. Now the good stuff gets lost amongst the garbage. I've made my own mistakes on CF, but when I was wrong I owned up to it. Now, I'm signing off for the last time. I enjoy being a Cyclone, and will always love being a Cyclone. But being here is no fun anymore. It just isn't.

• Agree
Reactions: CyArob

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Getting really tired of the hacks at the coach and a few players. I think some people who hide behind their anonymous name think it is perfectly acceptable to say whatever they want about whoever they want. Sorry, but for some of us, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face, you should say it here. The crap thrown at CSP is horrible. He isn't perfect but his record here is pretty decent, and he will get better. We have seen that every year he has been out coach. I used to enjoy CF because I could learn things, and get a different perspective on things. It was fun. Now the good stuff gets lost amongst the garbage. I've made my own mistakes on CF, but when I was wrong I owned up to it. Now, I'm signing off for the last time. I enjoy being a Cyclone, and will always love being a Cyclone. But being here is no fun anymore. It just isn't.

psyclone, I get where you are coming from, but you posted in the WBB forum on this one.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron