WBB: Ashley Joens record watch

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
How prolific is Ashley? If the rest of this season were cancelled right now and she played only one more season, she'd still have a very good shot at ending up ISU's all-time leading scorer, barring injury and game cancellations next season. She'd have to average around 22-24 ppg next season, which is less than she's averaging this season.

Reactions: whoooe

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I've expanded career rebounds to top 15. I believe the list is accurate, although it did take some manual work so I could have made a mistake (top 11 are almost certainly correct). Joens and Scott are both in the rebounding top 15.

Reactions: acoustimac

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Thanks for collecting and posting the information mred. Looking at points and rebounds made me realize that I had almost forgotten how good Seanna Johnson really was.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Debbie Antonelli has been doing a 1-min video series of some college WBB star players in which she breaks down their plays. Here's the video of Ashley's. Caitlin Clark is also featured.

Reactions: acoustimac

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I've updated her stats. She moved past Medders and Grimm in scoring, of course, but she also moved past Bolte in rebounding, Frese and Moody in FTM, and Frese in FTA.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Updated with last night's game. Nothing particularly interesting changed, but she is now 20 points away from passing Frese to become #11 on the career scoring list. Frese is the only player in the top 20 (other than Joens) with fewer than 4 seasons at ISU.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Updated with yesterday's game. Interesting notes: Joens is over 1500 career points, and Scott is now tied for #11 with Ronhovde for all time career rebounds.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
Only thing with Ashley is she tends to want to use her right hand all the time. If she could use her left better she wouldn’t have to turn back into a double team and turn the ball over! She is a great player but being able to use the left hand would make her that much better!

Reactions: SolarGarlic

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Only thing with Ashley is she tends to want to use her right hand all the time. If she could use her left better she wouldn’t have to turn back into a double team and turn the ball over! She is a great player but being able to use the left hand would make her that much better!

And some vision would help too. Defenses are ready for her spin back to the middle. Coaches and Joens need to adjust, but her head is usually down.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Ashley is truly a guard who plays like a post player. She constantly battles against players with bigger sizes in the paint. She doesn't have the size advantage like Megan G who can use both her hands equally well to make the moves. But she still finishes at a good percentage with a much greater degree of difficulty considering her side. She can still improve her game in some other areas such as perimeter shootings. Her 3-pt shooting percentage is down compared to her first two years. Maybe because she shoots more off-the-dribble 3s than catch-and-shoot 3s this year. By the way, her step-back 3s plus Lexi's stepbacks are going to be unguardable next year if both could perfect the moves. Moving forward, I hope she could also improve her passing game and develop a reliable midrange game as Bridget did. With her mentality and work ethic, I have no double we will see an even better Ashley come next season.

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Updated with tonight's game. Ashley passed Poppens and Wilson to become #6 in career FTM.

My projections for this season include three remaining games. Barring covid cancellations, that is the bare minimum we'll play (one vs Kansas, one game in Big 12 tournament, one game in NCAA tournament).

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY