Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019
Iowa State and Creighton play vastly similar types of basketball.

The good news for Cyclone fans? This team does phenomenally well against it.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I like the match up, but there are no gimmes once your in the tourney and especially this far.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Watching the 6pm news on Ch13 and apparently they are using some local affiliate to cover the ISU women instead of one of their own person. With Iowa having both teams eliminated they couldn't have sent Sears Fruend or even one of their news reporters like Justin Surrency or Calyn Thompson to Greensboro? Not sure what the other local TV stations are doing but that's sad they can't send someone to cover a women's Sweet 16 with the season they have had. You damn well know if the Iowa women had made it with or without ISU there they probably would have sent someone to cover it.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Watching the 6pm news on Ch13 and apparently they are using some local affiliate to cover the ISU women instead of one of their own person. With Iowa having both teams eliminated they couldn't have sent Sears Fruend or even one of their news reporters like Justin Surrency or Calyn Thompson to Greensboro? Not sure what the other local TV stations are doing but that's sad they can't send someone to cover a women's Sweet 16 with the season they have had. You damn well know if the Iowa women had made it with or without ISU there they probably would have sent someone to cover it.
In all fairness, better to have no coverage than Sears

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wearing a plastic mask to protect her nose and is good to go, is what they said on the news earlier.

Good. I think we need her at 100% to combat what Fennelly called their "inverted offense."

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Never fear, KCCI sent some dude named Jeff Dubrof (I think) to cover the Twister Sisters. He even has a chin and everything!

He looks promising, seems to have tweeted that the Big 10 is garbage? How can he be working in this state?

Reactions: Cycsk and NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Never fear, KCCI sent some dude named Jeff Dubrof (I think) to cover the Twister Sisters. He even has a chin and everything!

He looks promising, seems to have tweeted that the Big 10 is garbage? How can he be working in this state?
Man, I wasn’t even thinking. Then again I have to leave for DC with my youngest Sunday so it probably wouldn’t have worked, but I should have rang up the station I used to call games/meets for and volunteered to cover the mens game at no cost if they got me in the door. They broadcast all ISU games so you think they wouldnt be on the naughty list.

Reactions: NWICY

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
My wife sent Keith Murphy a message about the lack of sending someone from Ch13 to cover the women and got a nice and candid response back. Basically he said he agrees and he advocated for sending someone to cover the ISU women but ultimately it was Nexstar's deci$ion (yes he actually spelled it that way to make a point I think) not to send someone and use a local affiliate as a likely cost savings move. He listed 2 emails including the station manager he suggested contacting to voice opinions too. So I give Keith a pass on this as I do believe he is being honest about wanting someone local covering it and not someone else.

This is just another sad example of women getting 2nd rate treatment and considering the mess Nexstar has on their hands with the accusations of age and gender bias (see the Sonya Heitshusen lawsuit as just 1 example) it's just another bad look for Nexstar. But I'm sure we'll wind up losing Channel 13 again at some point during another inevitable and ugly DirecTV or DISH contract negotiations in the future as Nexstar asks for more subscription money.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Man, I wasn’t even thinking. Then again I have to leave for DC with my youngest Sunday so it probably wouldn’t have worked, but I should have rang up the station I used to call games/meets for and volunteered to cover the mens game at no cost if they got me in the door. They broadcast all ISU games so you think they wouldnt be on the naughty list.
Have fun in DC. We lived there a few years right after we got married. So much for kids to see there. I think the Capitol is probably still closed to the public which is sad. Such an amazing building. I would like to go to the Holocaust museum some day, but our last trip to DC, I think a couple of the kids were still too young.

Reactions: BCClone

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My wife sent Keith Murphy a message about the lack of sending someone from Ch13 to cover the women and got a nice and candid response back. Basically he said he agrees and he advocated for sending someone to cover the ISU women but ultimately it was Nexstar's deci$ion (yes he actually spelled it that way to make a point I think) not to send someone and use a local affiliate as a likely cost savings move. He listed 2 emails including the station manager he suggested contacting to voice opinions too. So I give Keith a pass on this as I do believe he is being honest about wanting someone local covering it and not someone else.

This is just another sad example of women getting 2nd rate treatment and considering the mess Nexstar has on their hands with the accusations of age and gender bias (see the Sonya Heitshusen lawsuit as just 1 example) it's just another bad look for Nexstar. But I'm sure we'll wind up losing Channel 13 again at some point during another inevitable and ugly DirecTV or DISH contract negotiations in the future as Nexstar asks for more subscription money.
I am sure they would have sent someone to cover Caitlyn Clark and maybe the rest of her team

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I am sure they would have sent someone to cover Caitlyn Clark and maybe the rest of her team

I completely agree! If Iowa had made it with or without ISU advancing I would bet they would have been allowed to send someone just because of Caitlyn which is BS because ISU is just 1 seed lower than Iowa at 3 and has their own in-state star in Ashley Joens that deserves the coverage too. I'm just peeved overall at the decision because this is the winningest team in school history and still can't get the local coverage they deserve. If we were playing as a much lower seed and weren't expected to make it this far I would understand it a little more but as a 3 seed we were one of the top 12 teams in the country coming into the tournament so they should have know the likelihood they would make the Sweet 16 was high and they would need to send someone.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I completely agree! If Iowa had made it with or without ISU advancing I would bet they would have been allowed to send someone just because of Caitlyn which is BS because ISU is just 1 seed lower than Iowa at 3 and has their own in-state star in Ashley Joens that deserves the coverage too. I'm just peeved overall at the decision because this is the winningest team in school history and still can't get the local coverage they deserve. If we were playing as a much lower seed and weren't expected to make it this far I would understand it a little more but as a 3 seed we were one of the top 12 teams in the country coming into the tournament so they should have know the likelihood they would make the Sweet 16 was high and they would need to send someone.
Agree our women have totally gotten the shaft. I just don’t expect much out of the local media anymore, especially after their cowardice over the racism in Hawkeye football.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Creighton was visibly able to frustrate Bluder’s bunch last weekend partly I think due to the weak mentality they sometimes have that comes from the top. They were physical, as heard from a whiny post-game presser, and I think a few of the ultra physical Big 12 teams we played will pay off here.

We sometimes lose shooters, but Coach Fen will do what he does best and have a great defensive game plan.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
This is just MHO but I think one of the problems Iowa had was they already felt they were going to play SC in the Elite 8 and did not give Creighton the respect they deserved. I don't think our players look at this game that way. They respect the teams they play and only look at the game they are playing not the next one. That is the key to winning, one game at a time then next one up.

Reactions: cyclone13

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Oh, another disrespect post. How do you chicken littles get through the day?