**** WBB: Game Thread - Cyclones host #4 Iowa Wednesday 6:00 pm ESPN2 ****

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Big game so thought maybe a game thread before gameday might be in order.

Got your rivalry -
Got your high ranked opponent -
Got your sell out crowd -
Got your national TV -
Got your Lobo and Holly at Hilton -
Got your ISU freshman stars -

Who:
Iowa State (4-3, 0-0 Big 12) vs. No. 4 Iowa (8-1, 0-0 Big Ten)

Where: Hilton Coliseum– Ames, Iowa

When: Wednesday, December 6, 2023 – 6:00 p.m. CT

WATCH: ESPN2
PxP: Ryan Ruocco Analyst: Rebecca Lobo Reporter: Holly Rowe

LISTEN: Cyclone Radio Network – Varsity App or Radio Affiliates
PxP: Noah Wolf Analyst: Jamie Steyer Johnson

LIVE STATS

IOWA STATE GAME NOTES

ISUWBB1stHalf-8_RG4g2.jpg

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Game notes from the Hawkeyes:

THE SERIES
• This is the 54th meeting between the two foes.
• Iowa leads the all-time series, 30-23.
• UI’s is 2-1 in its last three trips to Hilton.
• The Hawkeyes have won six out the last seven matchups.

WHAT 2 WATCH 4
• Clark is two double-doubles shy of reaching the Big Ten’s top-10 list for most career double-doubles in a career. (47)
• Marshall (137) and Martin (133) are eyeing Monika Czinano’s games played record. (162)
• Marshall is second and Martin is tied for fifth nationally in most games played among active players.
• Clark needs 40 assists to surpass Sam Logic to be Iowa’s all-time leader in dimes.
• Iowa is 6-3 when Clark records 40 or more points.
• Clark has 45 career games with 25+ points, 5+ assists, and 5+ rebounds. (NCAA Best)
• Martin needs 11 points and one block to become the first Iowa WBB player to notch 900+ points, 500+ rebounds, 400+ assists, 120+ steals, and 60+ blocks in a career at the University of Iowa.
• Clark has netted a 3-point basket in 67 consecutive games which is an NCAA best.
• Clark needs 33 rebounds to be top 10 all-time at Iowa.
• Over the last 25 seasons, no has recorded more 30+ point games than Clark. (40)
• UI has shot 50% or better from the field in 18 of the last 20 quarters.
• Sharon Goodman has shot 60% or better from the floor in six out of seven games this season.
• Hannah Stuelke has netted double figures in four out of six games this season.
• Over the last 25 seasons, Clark is one 30-point performance away from the men’s DI college basketball record. (Antoine Davis, Detroit)
• Since Iowa’s loss to K-State, the Hawkeyes are averaging 97.8 ppg over the last five games.

SCOUTING IOWA STATE
• Iowa State returns four players from last season’s Big 12 Champion squad that will look to guide a youthful group with eight newcomers in 2023-24.
• Iowa State returns as the 2023 Phillips 66 Big 12 Champions and enters the season picked to finish sixth in the Big 12 according to the preseason poll by the leagues coaches.
• Nyamer Diew has played a large role for the Cyclones as the only starter this season who played on the Big 12 Championship squad.
• Freshman center Audi Crooks leads Iowa State with 16.8 points per game while shooting nearly 73 percent from the floor.
• The Cyclones have been phenomenal at home during Bill Fennelly’s tenure, compiling a 370-80 record (.821) in Hilton Coliseum, including a 184-8 (.958) mark against regular-season non-conference opponents. Iowa owns two of the eight losses.
• Against UNCW, freshman Addy Brown put up career highs in both points (24) and assists (10). It was the Derby, Kansas native’s second double-double and first of the points and assists variation. Audi Crooks also was in double figures, totaling 16. Crooks has scored 10 or more points in six of the Cyclone’s first seven games.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I hope to avoid any dead quarters like the one vs Drake and to keep the game at least withing 10-20 pts. I expect to get blown out by more though.

Don't see a blowout at Hilton. Will be interesting to see odds and how much Iowa is favored.

Not sure if Hannah Stuekle will even play, she's missed the last three games I think. I was looking forward to seeing how Audi Crooks would do against her (an athletic post/forward) versus how she would do against Goodman (a 6"-3" big body post). Guessing the Hawks will want to get out and run some. Obviously Stuekle can run but Goodman looks to be back to running like she did as a freshman (pre-ACL) and she gets down the court well for a post.

Will be interesting to see how/who Hawks have on Brown. Also think we will want to slow things down, getting in a track meet run and gun isn't likely the desired scenario for ISU. We will be able to score, Iowa's near the bottom of the Big Ten again in defense, but some of that is their style, they'll give up 75 to score 90.

Last edited:

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
You forgot: Got me

What I hope to see: Cyclone women with stoic, expressionless faces just doing their job. No complaining, maybe an occasional smile. To contrast with highly emotional other team whose players are everlastingly incorrectly wronged.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

What I hope to see: Cyclone women with stoic, expressionless faces just doing their job. No complaining, maybe an occasional smile. To contrast with highly emotional other team whose players are everlastingly incorrectly wronged.

Boxster in the house -

Reactions: Acylum

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I expect Frau Bluder will play Stuekle- IC rumour is she is ready to go and not happy about sitting.

I hope she can play. It's matchup I want to see, either versus Brown or Crooks. Based on us starting Crooks and Brown maybe Hawks start Stuekle and Goodman.

Took a peek into the Hawks main board but didn't see anything at all about the game or Stuelke.

Did see both Stuelke and Goodman were 72% from the field, much like Crooks and her 68%.

Last edited:

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Let’s go State!!! I was offered tickets in the player’s family section last night, but I’m in Indianapolis and can’t make it home in time. Make some noise and send CC home unhappier than usual!

Reactions: Jdk and NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Damn early start on this thread, I think Bill will try to control the pace and if not a true double team, a lot of help on Clark. If we are within 10 with 5 minutes left hold onto your hats folks it will be entertaining.

Reactions: ICCYFAN

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I hope she can play. It's matchup I want to see, either versus Brown or Crooks. Based on us starting Crooks and Brown maybe Hawks start Stuekle and Goodman.

Took a peek into the Hawks main board but didn't see anything at all about the game or Stuelke.
Couple season ticket holders I know are saying its Frau's attempt at a mind game.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa

Post of the year here I hope our ladies keep their emotions in check and the hawks are booed soundly when they complain!!

Last edited:

67CY

Apr 13, 2006

I would also like to see them not be intimidated and defense Clark like K State did the first time they played

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I'm betting the hawks double down on Crooks to minimize what she gets offensively. Leaves a guard open outside. That means our guards had best be hitting their shots tomorrow night. IF they are cold it will be a long night. Defensively we just need to make the complainer uncomfortable and having to force things up.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I'm betting the hawks double down on Crooks to minimize what she gets offensively. Leaves a guard open outside. That means our guards had best be hitting their shots tomorrow night. IF they are cold it will be a long night. Defensively we just need to make the complainer uncomfortable and having to force things up.

The challenge with trying to contest or pressure is her shooting a ton of FT and putting you in foul trouble. Unfortunately I am afraid the officials will see it is a national TV game and feel like they have to overly protect the queen.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I assume Joens will be tasked with guarding Clark right? Maybe Diew some? Without Ryan and Donarski we don't really have a lock down perimeter defender right now so would think trying to slow down Clark is going to require a few different looks on defense. I hope we make an effort to go right at her on both ends early on. On defense she just camps out around the free throw line in that zone and will not pick up a defender that drives to the paint so running some high post offense aimed at putting her in spots she has to commit to defend or let someone else pick them up on the drive would be nice to see.

Its easy for us to sit here and offer up suggestions on how to slow her down or attack her but teams have been trying to throw the kitchen sink at her for 3 years now and few have had success. The 2 things that always stand out to me watching her play is you have to guard her close even if she is 10 feet back from the 3 point line because she will still chuck it up from there. The 2nd is you have to go directly at her when she is on defense. She usually will not follow her assignment into the paint nor will she get too aggressive from the free throw line out to the 3 line as they have to keep her out of foul problems. Hoping to see some offense run where the ball is moving into her area of the zone frequently and she has to commit or rely on help defense or a switch if someone initiates some contact on a drive.

My wife and oldest daughter will be there tomorrow night and I'll be at the men's Cy-Hawk game. A sold out crowd for the women's game is sure to be a great atmosphere. Hoping for a close and competitive game but also would not be surprised if we lost by 20+ either. With this freshman class just don't know which version we'll get on a given night. They are going to be fun to watch grow over the years but this is a game I really wish we has Ryan for as she'd be the best option to guard Clark and as we've seen at times already we really miss her leadership on the floor as well.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I assume Joens will be tasked with guarding Clark right? Maybe Diew some? Without Ryan and Donarski we don't really have a lock down perimeter defender right now so would think trying to slow down Clark is going to require a few different looks on defense. I hope we make an effort to go right at her on both ends early on. On defense she just camps out around the free throw line in that zone and will not pick up a defender that drives to the paint so running some high post offense aimed at putting her in spots she has to commit to defend or let someone else pick them up on the drive would be nice to see.

Its easy for us to sit here and offer up suggestions on how to slow her down or attack her but teams have been trying to throw the kitchen sink at her for 3 years now and few have had success. The 2 things that always stand out to me watching her play is you have to guard her close even if she is 10 feet back from the 3 point line because she will still chuck it up from there. The 2nd is you have to go directly at her when she is on defense. She usually will not follow her assignment into the paint nor will she get too aggressive from the free throw line out to the 3 line as they have to keep her out of foul problems. Hoping to see some offense run where the ball is moving into her area of the zone frequently and she has to commit or rely on help defense or a switch if someone initiates some contact on a drive.

My wife and oldest daughter will be there tomorrow night and I'll be at the men's Cy-Hawk game. A sold out crowd for the women's game is sure to be a great atmosphere. Hoping for a close and competitive game but also would not be surprised if we lost by 20+ either. With this freshman class just don't know which version we'll get on a given night. They are going to be fun to watch grow over the years but this is a game I really wish we has Ryan for as she'd be the best option to guard Clark and as we've seen at times already we really miss her leadership on the floor as well.

The biggest thing I see other teams fail at is you have to guard her even out to 30-35 feet. So many teams just give her so much space.

Again I hope I'm wrong but just because it's sold out I doubt we have a full arena. I think it was a buy up tickets so Hawk fans couldn't.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron