**** WBB: Game Thread - Iowa State vs. #24 West Virginia 6:30 ESPN+ ****

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Some box score observations:

(1) I knew WVU was shooting a lot of threes but wow, 43 is a s***load. They averaged 22 attempts per game before this game. The Golden State Warriors average 40 3PAs per game and that's on a team that averages 117 points per game in a league with 48-minute games.

(2) Our bench boatraced their bench. WVU's bench played three players for a total of 28 minutes who scored 2 points on seven shots, committed seven fouls, and grabbed three rebounds. ISU's bench played four players a total of 70 minutes who scored 30 points on 19 shots, committed five fouls, and grabbed 18 rebounds. It's slanted a bit by one of those four players being a two-time All-Big 12 point guard but still that's a huge disparity.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Something I just realized if you just scroll scores today, you'll have no idea what a crazy, great game this was. You just see a 10 pt win.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Hell of a comeback last night. I was obviously watching another game but was keeping an eye on your score. Really impressive by any measure but especially so with such a young team.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I watched it after the fact last night, I should go to the play by play and count, but I think WVU finished the game something like making only 1 of their last 16 3s.

"live by the 3, die by the 3" played out entirely inside one game
I went and looked it up and my guess was right, in the last 16 minutes of the game WVU went 1-16 from 3.

Prior to that they were 11-27 (41%)

Also 62% of their shots were from deep, which is ... bananas.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Something about a Blind Squirrel comes to mind - I wasn't feeling very comfortable with that prediction four minutes into the third quarter, when WVU had a 98.6% win probability! What a comeback - I'm still smiling about it!!!

It didn't seem outlandish at all when you posted it. I watched the WVU team struggle mightily versus Texas. I was shocked when they retained their #24 ranking. They have no offense other than that generated by their press versus teams that can play a little defense. The new coaches small Div 1 approach, using better players, worked for NC, it's not going to fly as much in league play (IMHO). Teams with any size can use the formula Texas laid out to neutralize them (assuming you also handle their press).

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hopefully our girls can get the respect they deserve both from tv and radio tomorrow and going forward. Some in the media seem to think there is only one wbb worth talking about in this state.

There is no "fairness doctrine" for this and we will have to earn the attention which we are doing. It's building incrementally on a national level. Our freshman are getting FOY awards and we have moved up to NET 40 now. WVU isn't a name that generates any national buzz and their #24 was BS. Saturday is different. Baylor may fall like a rock in the polls but will still be #4 when we play them. Too bad this won't be an ESPN flagship game.

NONE of our games are featured on anything but ESPN+ and that hurts the PR hype IMHO. After this weekend we will only have three games versus ranked teams and Texas will be on the Longhorn network so who will see that? Same for two versus KSU. KSU is right on the edge of the Top Ten and garnishing zero national attention beyond "It's good to see a healthy Ayoka Lee!" KSU at least gets some big TV games (Texas, Baylor, Kansas).

Iowa is probably somewhat overrated at #3 but until some big Ten teams beat them out they will be getting Final Four team like attention nationally. Being ranked that high and being in the champ game comes with benefits, their game versus #14 Indiana will be the Fox national game.

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
There is no "fairness doctrine" for this and we will have to earn the attention which we are doing. It's building incrementally on a national level. Our freshman are getting FOY awards and we have moved up to NET 40 now. WVU isn't a name that generates any national buzz and their #24 was BS. Saturday is different. Baylor may fall like a rock in the polls but will still be #4 when we play them. Too bad this won't be an ESPN flagship game. NONE of our games are featured on anything but ESPN+ and that hurts the PR hype IMHO. After this weekend we will only have three games versus ranked teams and Texas will be on the Longhorn network so who will see that? Same for two versus KSU. KSU is right on the edge of the Top Ten and garnishing zero national attention beyond "It's good to see a healthy Ayoka Lee!" KSU at least gets some big TV games (Texas, Baylor, Kansas).

Iowa is probably somewhat overrated at #3 but until some big Ten teams beat them out they will be getting Final Four team like attention nationally. Being ranked that high and being in the champ game comes with benefits, their game versus #14 Indiana will be the Fox national game.

I was talking about local media in Iowa. Getting them to talk about a team in their state isn't asking for much.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Husband played in pep band, so I was sitting behind the west basket.

With a minute left in the first half, when it felt like WVU scored 7 pts in 15 seconds, CBF was definitely not happy. But, he didn't turn away, he didn't throw his hands in the air, he just stood there with his arms crossed and I felt like his look said "We're going to fix this." I don't know why I was impressed by that.

When the tide turned: The Fennelly granddaughters headed over to our side and just started running laps around a row of benches by the band. Weren't making a fuss, weren't in anyone's way, but they were having a good time, even with the bleak score. That's when Iowa State started to claw back. So thanks, Callie & Chandler, for getting the magic stirred up!
I noticed that, too, and thought "It's too bad all those bleachers are empty" AND "It's great those bleachers are empty so they can run around and not bother anyone."

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I was talking about local media in Iowa. Getting them to talk about a team in their state isn't asking for much.

I don't get that. It's been decades since I listened to local telecasts even here in Minnesota. When I visit my sister in Iowa and they have the local TV on I am reminded why. Woof. I get they aren't major markets stations but, dang, it is bad and amateurish. And I've never gotten the whole listening to talking heads on crap talk radio. Why do you guys do it?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Although for a while last night, ISU had the main video clips on the ESPN app.

I had the ESPN WBB scores page open on my laptop. It defaults to the Top 25 teams and their games so there we were. It would be great to get ranked. With rank comes benefits on the national stage.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
We played zone pretty much the whole game. We may have tweaked a few things at half time, but I think WV just lost all confidence in the three ball in the second half. In the first half, they were making a bunch. In the second half not so much. Late in the game their guards were turning down open threes. You could see no one wanted to shoot it. So much so, they drew up a play at the end for their 6'3" forward to take a three. I'm not sure she even hit the rim. I understand she was hot in the first half, but I doubt she was their best shooter.
I think the biggest difference from the first to the second half was putting Bristow in the middle and pulling our centers. We were able to react to ball movement much quicker all the way around and it frustrated West Virginia.