WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Could you flesh this out a little more. I don't know the provenance nor the relevance by what's posted. Thanks.
An Iowa fan started a thread on HR wishing Clark shot less threes because she is only shooting around 25% for the year (she was over 40% last year). Other than the ISU game, I have not watched any Iowa WBB so no idea what has caused her decrease, but guessing she is the focus of all defenses and not getting the open looks she might have last year.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and StClone

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Imagine the player Clark might be if she was ever actually COACHED instead of just being sent out to chuck up an infinite number of shots. But, I have to assume that's why she chose the hoks - because she would be given free reign to play as SHE wanted, not how might be best for the team.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
An Iowa fan started a thread on HR wishing Clark shot less threes because she is only shooting around 25% for the year (she was over 40% last year). Other than the ISU game, I have not watched any Iowa WBB so no idea what has caused her decrease, but guessing she is the focus of all defenses and not getting the open looks she might have last year.

It is odd. I've watched a few games and she is taking the same crazy long distance shots, they just aren't falling for some reason. Didn't see her enough last year or this to see if she is rushing them but my untrained eye doesn't see anything.

Also odd that the team is struggling so. Pretty much the same squad that was Sweet Sixteen last year.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
It is odd. I've watched a few games and she is taking the same crazy long distance shots, they just aren't falling for some reason. Didn't see her enough last year or this to see if she is rushing them but my untrained eye doesn't see anything.

Also odd that the team is struggling so. Pretty much the same squad that was Sweet Sixteen last year.

Sometimes life is just good

CloneSt8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2011
Watching parts of the WV-KSU WBB game. My suggestion is to have Jane and Jordao sprint down the floor all the time on offense. Lee seems to just lumber down the floor.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
Imagine the player Clark might be if she was ever actually COACHED instead of just being sent out to chuck up an infinite number of shots. But, I have to assume that's why she chose the hoks - because she would be given free reign to play as SHE wanted, not how might be best for the team.

FWIW, I think you are spot on. IMHO, she would never be allowed to play this way at ISU or many other schools for that matter.

Reactions: Buster28

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hawks vs Nebraska game is on FS1 tomorrow at 1:00. I've watched Nebraska a couple of times and believe they really should be ranked and not just in the receiving votes category. Guessing they will be ranked next week. Watched them romp on #8 Michigan earlier this week. BTW, I am guessing most of the folks dissing on Clark haven't watched her play at all this year outside of the CyHawk game. Hawks not named Warnock were 2-20 from three the other night. Seem their whole team is "pressing". Cheap shot dissing aside it's rather peculiar. Will be interested in tuning in tomorrow.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Wednesday: Tech beats Texas in Austin.

Saturday: OSU beats Tech in Lubbock.

*shrug*

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
The word on her coming out of high school was the Bluder told her she would have the keys to the car and was in charge.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Watched some of Kansas/OU and TTU/OSU, and wow that was some bad basketball.

In the TTU/OSU game, TTU is the typical Vivian Gray is the star and she expects to take all the big shots. As for OSU, they have one or two players that will shot and the rest of them looked afraid to shot, all they did was pass.

Kansas/OU was the tale of two halves. Kansas was great in the first and awful in the second, whereas OU was awful in the first and great in the second. OU really does not seem all that engaged to play defense. Their two "stars" are lazy on defense. Kansas appears to be the same old Kansas - run up the wins against lesser teams in the non-conference and then not be all that good. I'm sure they'll win a few they shouldn't, but they are not all that great.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I watched the second half of the KSU vrs WVU and it was a game of halves. WVU was leading at half and had held down Lee but she played better in the second half and their freshman guards got red hot from the 3 line and helped them pull out a win. As someone posted on another thread our post need to sprint down the floor on offense is not very quick getting back on defense (or in fact on offense) but if she gets in the deep post very hard to stop. I noticed she wears a big brace on one knee so that could be the reason she is slower. We will have to respect their outside shooting in our game down there.

Reactions: surly

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Three freshmen have made K-State a completely different team surrounding Yoki this year. ISU game should be great fun. Hopefully, we are both healthy and don't lose it to Covid.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hawks vs Nebraska game is on FS1 tomorrow at 1:00. I've watched Nebraska a couple of times and believe they really should be ranked and not just in the receiving votes category. Guessing they will be ranked next week. Watched them romp on #8 Michigan earlier this week. BTW, I am guessing most of the folks dissing on Clark haven't watched her play at all this year outside of the CyHawk game. Hawks not named Warnock were 2-20 from three the other night. Seem their whole team is "pressing". Cheap shot dissing aside it's rather peculiar. Will be interested in tuning in tomorrow.

Caught only the last 12 minutes of the Iowa/Husker game but it was pretty entertaining. Iowa won 92-86 in Lincoln. Rematch next Sunday in IC. Huskers had trailed the the whole game but took the lead mid-4th and than Iowa stormed back. Husker freshman post is pretty decent for a freshman. Looks like Iowa has given up their experiment to play better defense and just gone back to trying to out score the opponent like last year. Clark still cold from three but had a good game less the TO's. Third or fourth time I've seen the Huskers, they should be ranked, maybe close to Iowa in the 20's.

Thought the Huskers Haiby should have been TD'd up for the deliberate forearm she threw into the chin of the generally passive defender Gabby Marshall. They only called an offensive foul. Felt better about Haiby when she reached out to shake Clark's hand with a couple of seconds left in the game as Clark was dribbling the time out. Nice game ending considering Clark had just been egging on the crowd that had been jeering her a minute earlier and for Haiby who had lost her cool earlier.

• Informative
Reactions: barometriclow

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Caught only the last 12 minutes of the Iowa/Husker game but it was pretty entertaining. Iowa won 92-86 in Lincoln. Rematch next Sunday in IC. Huskers had trailed the the whole game but took the lead mid-4th and than Iowa stormed back. Husker freshman post is pretty decent for a freshman. Looks like Iowa has given up their experiment to play better defense and just gone back to trying to out score the opponent like last year. Clark still cold from three but had a good game less the TO's. Third or fourth time I've seen the Huskers, they should be ranked, maybe close to Iowa in the 20's.
IMO Clark had a great game - 31 pts., 12 assists, 8 rebounds. Some great passes in those 12 assists. Her grit rubbed off on her team. In front of a huge Husker crowd.

CloneSt8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2011
Iowa's difference marker was Warnock (spelling?), in my opinion. Hit her first 6 three-point shots and ended 7 of 9.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
IMO Clark had a great game - 31 pts., 12 assists, 8 rebounds. Some great passes in those 12 assists. Her grit rubbed off on her team. In front of a huge Husker crowd.

I would have said great but we have a handful of posters here that hate her so thought it would just draw dumb comments. I'll settle on very very good game. ;) Almost a triple double but those 7 TO's were not ideal. The ones I saw were mostly failed attempts to feed to Czinano. Saw the TD pass to Marshall on highlights, that was a nice chuck downfield. Peeps here that ONLY watch ISU games missed a good game. I'll tune in next week if I remember to, should be a another good one. I don't feel bad about Huskers being decent again, good for their league and my TV viewing although maybe not great for ISU recruiting.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man