WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I hope there aren't any celebrities in Hilton on Wednesday. That might be as nauseating as the Hokroaches themselves.

I’ve seen this story but I need some explanation. I understand why Sue Bird would be there. What’s the connection to Sudeikis? Is he friends with Bird? Somehow connected to Iowa WBB?

Or is this just a media campaign for whatever movie or show he’s plugging?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I’ve seen this story but I need some explanation. I understand why Sue Bird would be there. What’s the connection to Sudeikis? Is he friends with Bird? Somehow connected to Iowa WBB?

Or is this just a media campaign for whatever movie or show he’s plugging?
She is doing a series called Sue’s Places kind of like Peyton Manning’s thing. I think Jason’s production company is involved. She has gone to several games around the country for the project I believe.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
New polls came out yesterday.

#4 - Iowa
#5 - Texas
#10 - Baylor
#13 - Kansas State

Future Big 12 squads Colorado and Utah clock in at #8 and #11.

OU, TCU, TT and WVU in the receiving votes for what that is worth at this point in the season.

Reactions: WBBfan15

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
New polls came out yesterday.

#4 - Iowa
#5 - Texas
#10 - Baylor
#13 - Kansas State

Future Big 12 squads Colorado and Utah clock in at #8 and #11.

OU, TCU, TT and WVU in the receiving votes for what that is worth at this point in the season.
Ouch. We run a gauntlet.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Looking at the poll again and hadn't noticed that Maryland has fallen so far as to not even be in the "receiving votes".

Indiana and Ohio State also lower than where they started.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Not really, only play Texas and Baylor once. Granted, Baylor looks a lot better than unranked Baylor of last year, but right now it looks like four games versus the leagues top 3. That's about as easy as the schedule could give us for the leagues top teams.
True but we need some breaks to continue a positive development and do well record-wise. Our young albeit talented team will be challenged to build, and get experience, against average teams until we figure out some things. Playing Iowa, Baylor, the SEC-ward Texas, UO, and who knows who's having a good night's game may help in the long run.

One positive is once our team gets seasoned we can return the smackdown on some of these teams that served us. We should be good by then, right?

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
Maggie Espenmiller McGraw started for the Montana Lady Griz last night in a home loss to Gonzaga. MEM shot 3-7 from the field and 2-4 from three for eight points. I watched most of the second half - she looks healthy and happy.

Melvin Ejim’s little sister, Yvonne, was an “in the lane” monster, as in she owned it - ISU connection for both teams!

Whoops - a couple people beat me to the MEM update!
Yvonne had 27 points and 12 rebounds for Gonzaga last night as they beat #3 Stanford by 18.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Yvonne had 27 points and 12 rebounds for Gonzaga last night as they beat #3 Stanford by 18.
Stanford played without Cameron Brink for most of the game, that was a big impact on the post play for Gonzaga. And props to Stanford for going on the road and playing in Spokane.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
Things aren't going well in Rocky Top. Seeing as their HC was HC at Missouri State when they beat us in the NCAA tourney in 2019 I can't say that I feel bad for them.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
USC has the number #1 recruit in the country in Juju Watkins and she is tearing it up scoring, rebounding and assisting. USC is in the Top Ten. And she and USC will be on national TV just once the rest of the regular season versus Arizona on ESPN. Boo!

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

"Espenmiller-McGraw went 4 for 7 from the arc and 10 of 11 from the free throw line to score a collegiate career-high 24 points, topping the 23 she put up last week against Dickinson State and giving her 47 points the last two games."

Side note:
Lady Grizzlies play Colorado State at 8 p.m tomorrow night on ESPN +.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
USC has the number #1 recruit in the country in Juju Watkins and she is tearing it up scoring, rebounding and assisting. USC is in the Top Ten. And she and USC will be on national TV just once the rest of the regular season versus Arizona on ESPN. Boo!
Juju to me is a fun player to watch after taking in some of her HS All-Star games and stuff.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Pulled this over from our season thread to coninue here;

She stated she's treating this as her last season for starters. If she wins a national title she's gone. If she doesn't get a title will she belabor another season only to lose again or inflate the asterisk on her records (five years with Covid)? My view is no.

The big thing I see is she will want to do more against, and with, better pro competition in the WNBA. She loses it when she perceives failure in fellow lesser players, referees, or whoever. If she appears animatedly frustrated now, what will the future reveal? Her flops, yelling at referees, teammates, and maybe, hopefully, T's are not out of the question. Will that harm her appeal as people may tire of it?

The money will be there. Being a graduate player just doesn't seem like a perk for her unless her love of Iowa is that great. To note we have pro players leave early for the money and still state a devotion to Iowa State (so you can leave and still love your school).

Don't know the timing of her decision whether to stay but where she gets drafted may have an effect.

From what I see, in my opinion, she is gone. I may well be wrong, but it is nice to see her leave though.

I to think she's gone. She has regressed some with her on court behavior, more like her sophomore year. Think that's frustration. Still a good team and likely to get better but not as good as last year. Next year for Iowa might be a bit like our year this season. They have a great class coming (similar in rank and numbers to our 2023 class) but it's more than a full roster. By the numbers they have 16 players counting Clark and 15 slots unless Ava Jones does a medical retirement from basketball. Most teams have at least someone leaving via the portal but Iowa hasn't had a lot of those so there isn't much maneuvering room for Coach Bluder.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Pulled this over from our season thread to coninue here;

I to think she's gone. She has regressed some with her on court behavior, more like her sophomore year. Think that's frustration. Still a good team and likely to get better but not as good as last year. Next year for Iowa might be a bit like our year this season. They have a great class coming (similar in rank and numbers to our 2023 class) but it's more than a full roster. By the numbers they have 16 players counting Clark and 15 slots unless Ava Jones does a medical retirement from basketball. Most teams have at least someone leaving via the portal but Iowa hasn't had a lot of those so there isn't much maneuvering room for Coach Bluder.
What people don't realize is endorsement money doesn't go away when you leave college and go pro. Why would these companies pull their contracts from Clark once she's a pro? She'll make more money than ever once she goes pro and like many I think this is her last hurrah as a Hawk.