Minnesota
@ Nebraska
v. Nebraska
v. UCLA
@ tOSU
v. Indiana
v. USC
v. Maryland

Cushy B1G schedule still tougher than most.

As a Big 12 guy I will have to note that the Nebraska games versus Iowa the last few years have been some very entertaining games. Decent games and think a couple of Clark triple doubles i there. I sort of casually pay attention to the Huskers WBB because a work buddy of mine is from NU and knew Connie Yori.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Will TCU be a entire team made up of transfers and recruits?

Made me look. They return their starters. Going to be a deep and senior heavy team. On paper it looks like a good roster. A lot of the returning players were transfers so overall LOTS of transfers there from last years portal. Nine of the currently listed players are transfers to TCU, that has to be tops in the nation for a P6 team.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Maryam Dauda, a 6'4" F transfer from Arkansas that fans of many teams were really pushing for (including Iowa and Tennessee), has narrowed her choice down to Baylor or South Carolina. Sounds like she'll make that decision this week.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Maryam Dauda, a 6'4" F transfer from Arkansas that fans of many teams were really pushing for (including Iowa and Tennessee), has narrowed her choice down to Baylor or South Carolina. Sounds like she'll make that decision this week.
Iowa fans on social media were ready to dump existing players to add Dauda.

Chad wrote about adding her without a scholarship available.

How can Iowa make the scholarships work? Don’t worry about that at all. Iowa wouldn’t be pursuing Dauda if it couldn’t offer her a full scholarship. While Iowa is full with 15 scholarships already, it’s common in today’s NIL era (the same thing football is currently dealing with) for a player to be moved to walk-on status and have that tuition, room and board covered by the outside collective. Remember, NCAA legislation in recent years allows programs to feed walk-ons, too, so it can become just a clerical thing to be walk-on vs. scholarship. The only restriction by the NCAA is that a maximum of 15 players can travel to games, and scholarship forward Ava Jones (recovering from serious injuries when she was struck by a car in the summer of 2022) didn’t travel with the team last year.

Also, from Chad regarding Iowa adding Dauda.

How would she fit at Iowa? Awesomely. And if the Hawkeyes are in pursuit, they probably have done their homework on character fit, too. Dauda could become an instant-impact starter at Iowa’s “5” spot, allowing Hannah Stuelke to fully slide back to her more natural “4” (power forward) position. A time-share of Dauda and incoming freshman Ava Heiden (a top-40 prospect out of Oregon) sounds like a dream over the next two years for head coach Lisa Bluder, especially since Stuelke has two more years of eligibility as well. Throw seniors Olsen and Sydney Affolter into a 2024-25 starting lineup with possibly Taylor McCabe or Kylie Feuerbach, plus Stuelke and Dauda with Heiden and her fellow talented freshmen coming off the bench, and Iowa might be right back in the Final Four conversation.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Generally, analyzing the factors creating turnover and finding solutions is a positive proactive move. Wasting time energy and resources recruiting a kid and then watching them walk without understanding the motivation is an ineffective strategy. Sure there is turnover, but if communication on expectations, and realities were addressed and some mutual understanding of where a kid is really at and ways to work through issues, maybe we could retain those players.
Getting the great players we did off the transfer portal I may reconsider my ideas. If we do our best and show who we are honestly, and they walk, well maybe there are players as good out there who will come here to replace them. Not a bad thing.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Getting the great players we did off the transfer portal I may reconsider my ideas. If we do our best and show who we are honestly, and they walk, well maybe there are players as good out there who will come here to replace them. Not a bad thing.
I just assume the coaches know what they are doing in the NIL world. Trying to guess what is going thru 18-22 yr olds brains is way beyond my capabilities.
Even preNIL you don't know what they were thinking now throw a little money on top who knows. It would be interesting to know the % of players that chose the school on academics in addition to the BB program.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I missed this but Stanford added two transfers one was Purdue's Big Ten FROSH of the year Mary Ashley Stevenson. The other was Tess Heal from Santa Clara 19.5 PPG and 5 assists.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I missed this but Stanford added two transfers one was Purdue's Big Ten FROSH of the year Mary Ashley Stevenson. The other was Tess Heal from Santa Clara 19.5 PPG and 5 assists.

Seems a weird choice as their program is dead in the water…

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Not many degrees around better than a Stanford degree. In WBB there is some money, but I'm guessing the Stanford degree is better most NIL deals.
And you can say FU to the officials when you leave the court and nothing will happen to you. Not even when your coach gets on the floor. sorry still bitter