*** WBB ISU vs Oklahoma***

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I think it is unfair to Hallie to make her post up low all of the time.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Jadda goes nuts down in Norman, I think had 6 3's and 29 points. Tonight against same team takes 2 shots (misses both) and scores 0 points.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Wow - how nice of BF to throw Jadda under the bus like that in his post-game presser. Maybe if we'd run more of a motion offense for her, instead of her (and her teammates) just standing outside the 3 pt. line and jacking up shots, she'd have more than 2 attempts. Buckley has a lot more in her toolbox than to just be a stand-still shooter.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Coach has problems, better adjust and teach instead of throwing under bus, yelling etc.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Iowa State women's basketball is losing a great beat reporter in the Ames Tribune's Cody Westerlund, who got a job with CBSChicago.com. The guy did a great job reporting on the team.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Wow - how nice of BF to throw Jadda under the bus like that in his post-game presser. Maybe if we'd run more of a motion offense for her, instead of her (and her teammates) just standing outside the 3 pt. line and jacking up shots, she'd have more than 2 attempts. Buckley has a lot more in her toolbox than to just be a stand-still shooter.

I am not a fan of the Iowa Hawkeye style offense either.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Im confused. Im not even mad. Just confused.

Me too. So are the players and coaches, and that's the biggest problem. Instead, they need to get mad. Not BF yelling mad, but all of them, fighting mad.

They have so much talent that they are just wasting right now.

They need to see clips of the OU bench, and let it sink in how they let another team act that way on our home court.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Don't know if anyone else feels the same way, but I truly feel sorry for these girls. Body language alone tells me that they are really, really struggling. I have no clue what the answer is, but my guess is there is a huge need for leadership right now, someone like Pop pick them up and carry them over this horrible gap. So, I am left wondering who on this team will take this task on. Guys have the same issue, IMO.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
I am not a fan of the Iowa Hawkeye style offense either.

I don't like our offense now either, but that might be mostly due to terrible shooting. If we make some shots that we had been making, it completely changes the dynamics of our offense.

That said, it's time to mix it up. Someone else posted that it's not fair for Hal to be forced down low all of the time.

Radical maybe, I say play T and Hal at the same time. T showed great strength underneath tonight. She doesn't get pushed around. The only way she's going to be an asset for us is if she plays and gets some experience. May as well let her play. That will free Hal up to be the versatile player we need in the Big 12. Hal will get the 3's going when needed. She did that for us multiple times last year. T will give us a rebounding presence as well.

Relying on a guard oriented offense is just not working for us right now. Mix it up. If the guards get back into form, then we'll be a better team in the long run.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Don't know if anyone else feels the same way, but I truly feel sorry for these girls. Body language alone tells me that they are really, really struggling. I have no clue what the answer is, but my guess is there is a huge need for leadership right now, someone like Pop pick them up and carry them over this horrible gap. So, I am left wondering who on this team will take this task on. Guys have the same issue, IMO.

Definitely. It's a nightmare that they cannot seem to wake up from. Pop would have shaken them all awake! They might be feeling sorry for themselves too, but that won't get them anywhere, they have to wake themselves up.

In today's Ames Trib article, Women, although they talk about their quiet demeanor possibly being a factor, the comments by coach and by the players didn't necessarily seem committed to changing it. They did not talk like they were taking aggressive action, and unfortunately, they did not play with much aggression either.

Simply put, they need to change it. They need to be aggressive. I thought Nikki showed some leadership to start the game. She was ready to play. Made shots. But no one else really rallied with her.

The coaches or the players better pick someone as the leader, the coaches need to mentor that leader fast, and the rest of the players need to aggressively follow the lead.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
Coach seemed at a loss in the post game. Me too. Do we have a Dr. Dani Santino?

This is going to be very difficult to turn around. It is very possible that it boils down to a leadership issue. Coaches and players alike talk about it, but it is still a very nebulous thing that can't be created. Coach has it, but it can't just magically be transferred. Just being a senior doesn't give it to you by default, and often when someone decides to "assert" leadership, there is no guarantee that other players will accept it. Coaches often try to demand that players take leadership roles, but if most/all of the players are not in sync, then it quickly becomes forced, unnatural and awkward.

Making shots would cure a litany of ills, but reversing the trend is exceedingly difficult and is 99% mental. And the mental aspect is absolutely the hardest to coach - the players still just have to "do it."

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
This is going to be very difficult to turn around. It is very possible that it boils down to a leadership issue. Coaches and players alike talk about it, but it is still a very nebulous thing that can't be created. Coach has it, but it can't just magically be transferred. Just being a senior doesn't give it to you by default, and often when someone decides to "assert" leadership, there is no guarantee that other players will accept it. Coaches often try to demand that players take leadership roles, but if most/all of the players are not in sync, then it quickly becomes forced, unnatural and awkward.
Bill addressed this in his Monday press conference that this team does not have a vocal leader like teams in the past.

Making shots would cure a litany of ills, but reversing the trend is exceedingly difficult and is 99% mental. And the mental aspect is absolutely the hardest to coach - the players still just have to "do it."

This is very much to the point. Anyone who has coached youth sports knows that you can have the better team but if they have doubts it is hard to change that. There is no majic speach you can give because if there were there would be may unbeaten teams out there. This has to be a team getting together and making the changes in each of their games to get out of the slump and back to winning. As to the comments about throwing Jadda under the bus, he just answered a question about her shooting last night compared to at OU. He has stated a number of times that she needs to shoot more and I agree with him. She has shown she is a very good shooter and we need her to use those skills more. It seems to many times that our freshman after missing a couple shots just qiut shooting because they are afraid people will get down on them for missing. They need to forget about that and take the open shots and they will start to go in again.

Help Support Us

Become a patron