WBB: "It's Iowa State vs. Iowa. It's not Ashley Joens vs. Caitlin Clark."

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019
The first of two previews on the way for this Wednesday's Cy-Hawk game at Carver. Interesting quote from Joens, but not at all surprised when I heard it. Going to be another great game:

Reactions: BenEClone

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Looking at the lineups of both teams you'd think the Sisters have a clear advantage. Likely they should. But, if everything...and I mean everything doesn't go right that lineup advantage won't mean diddly. The must do's...
1. Play good defense and limit fouls
2. Rebound and don't give second chances
3. Hit your open shots.
4. Make your free throws.

If any of the above go awry then things could go sideways. What do I expect? Normally, I'd say throw it all out the window in Carver. But I expect to have Lexi slow down Iowa's Clark. No one stops her. The big key is going to be making Czinano uncomfortable/frustrated and making her try to play defense. Second key will be shutting down everyone not named Clark. Going to be a fun one for sure. I won't be surprised by any outcome in this one.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Any word if Jordao will be ready to contribute a few minutes? I have a feeling Czinano will go through people and get some charges turned into block calls in Carver. It would be nice to have another big body that can play. Izzy is improving but I'm not sure she is ready for the beast that Czinano can be.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
The big key is with the refs. Unfortunately we will see the ref let CC flailing her arms. I wish we had someone who publicly called the ref before the game that the ref would let CC do whatever she wanted her her arms so it puts pressure on the refs not to do it - sort of reverse psychology.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Looking at the lineups of both teams you'd think the Sisters have a clear advantage. Likely they should. But, if everything...and I mean everything doesn't go right that lineup advantage won't mean diddly. The must do's...
1. Play good defense and limit fouls
2. Rebound and don't give second chances
3. Hit your open shots.
4. Make your free throws.

If any of the above go awry then things could go sideways. What do I expect? Normally, I'd say throw it all out the window in Carver. But I expect to have Lexi slow down Iowa's Clark. No one stops her. The big key is going to be making Czinano uncomfortable/frustrated and making her try to play defense. Second key will be shutting down everyone not named Clark. Going to be a fun one for sure. I won't be surprised by any outcome in this one.
We could not handle UNI’s center. Post defense and fouls worry me. I expect a nail biter.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We could not handle UNI’s center. Post defense and fouls worry me. I expect a nail biter.

We failed to adjust at halftime hopefully the coaching staff is better at adjusting on the go tonight as they were up at UNI.