WBB: Misc thread, polls, opponents games, regional stuff

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
OMG - reading the recap of the Iowa/OSU game... I so wish I hadn't been out last night because I would have LOVED to watch this one. Iowa got a 1-0 lead 40 seconds into the game on a FT and made a field goal to tie it at 3 apiece two minutes in. The hoks didn't score their next point until 3:04 remained in the quarter and they were trailing Ohio State 22-5. The halftime score was 48-31. Iowa scored 3 points (going from 34-37) from 8:39 remaining in the 3rd until just 1:56 was left on the clock. By the end of the 3rd, it was 73-44, OSU. The Buckeyes led by as many as 34 before the benches allowed the game to appear closer than it was by the end. Next, 6 seed Ohio State played 7 seed Michigan (which upset Northwestern, as mentioned by Rulzzz) in the semifiinals. Congrats to Bluder for preparing your team so well to play a lower seed and dropping your second straight game. :D

Other games of note from yesterday:

#14 Oregon State lost to #7 Stanford in the Pac 12 quarterfinals, 68-57.

Former Big 12 member #15 Texas A&M lost in an SEC quarterfinal game to #25 Arkansas, 67-66.

Tennessee was shown the door in another SEC quarterfinal game by #16 Kentucky, 86-65. The Vols' RPI is 60 with an SOS of just 92. Yesterday was not a good time for them to lose, even if it was a ranked opponent. They only defeated a single ranked team this season and that was in November, #15 Notre Dame, a team that went on to finish 13-18 overall. We'll see if just "being Tennessee" is enough to get them in the NCAAs on Selection Monday.

UNI managed to take down Drake in Cedar Falls in the regular season finale for the MVC, 91-78, ensuring Drake could not tie for the title.

Duke was knocked out of the ACC tournament by Boston College, 84-77, in the quarterfinals. Duke managed to put together a decent second half of the season, finishing 18-12 (12-6) after being .500 overall six games into the ACC regular season. :(

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Bracketology updates for Sunday morning:

#22 Florida State upset #4 Louisville in the ACC semifinals, which prompted Charlie Creme to move them to a 5 seed. Why is this important today? Because they are now being sent to Iowa City for a projected first round game with UCF, and possible second round game against Iowa in IC.

Regular season MVC champ Missouri State remains a 5 seed, but gets shipped out to Corvallis in todays bracket.

Iowa State's situation hasn't changed: still a 10 seed vs Arizona State in Louisville.

In other select games involving ranked teams yesterday:

#1 South Carolina easily took care of #25 Arkansas, 90-64, in an SEC semifinal game.

#3 Oregon beat #13 Arizona, 88-70, in a Pac 12 semifinal game.

#6 Maryland beat #20 Indiana, 66-51, in a Big 10 semifinal. They will face Ohio State in the Big 10 title game, which outlasted Michigan, 66-60.

#7 Stanford knocked off #8 UCLA, 67-51, in the other Pac 12 semifinal.

#9 Mississippi State pulled away from #16 Kentucky in the second half, 77-59, in the other SEC semifinal.

In the Big 12:

Oklahoma scored 94 at home and lost by 12 to Texas Tech (106-94). Both teams shot 50% or better, they combined for 22 made three pointers (Tech had 12) with both making about 44% of them, both teams had 37 rebounds. It seems like this was just a track meet and OU was the slower team last night.

TCU won at West Virginia, 77-63, dropping WVU to 7-11 in the league. I'd say that was definitely not where they saw themselves being in the standings in early January.

Today, ISU faces Baylor at noon. Texas hosts OSU at 11:30. Kansas State hosts Kansas at 2:00 (go Jayhawks?).

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I don't know if anyone else saw (cuz I didn't see it posted), but Ashley Joens won the final Big 12 POW award last week. It was her 6th this season. That kind of got lost in everything else over the past five days or so. She was also named in the final five for the Cheryl Miller Award, which goes to the top small forward in wbb.

Ayoka Lee of K-State won Freshman of the Week - her 12th of the season. :eek: Wow!

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I thought this quote from Geno Auriemma regarding the cancelation of the NCAA tournament was a thoughtful statement:

Auriemma then suggested that perhaps it all helps put sports into perspective.

"People treat winning and losing like it's life and death," he said. "Maybe in some philosophical way ... this is a reminder that it's a game, man.

"All these miserable people that all they want to do is complain about a kid missing a free throw, a kid throwing a ball away, what are you going to complain about now? And all those happy people that missed the enjoyment of watching a game? I feel for them."

Here's a link to the entire article (which is not about Geno or UCONN specifically):

https://www.espn.com/womens-college...aches-wondering-been-coronavirus-cancellation

I get the reasoning behind the cancelations, but that doesn't mean it's not disappointing on a personal level to see your team play to the last buzzer. But, man, I feel for (all) the students who have played their last game in their school's uniform and didn't even know it. :(

• Winner
Reactions: gizzsdad and ISU71

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It's easy to feel bad for your favorite team, but I feel worse for any school from a "one-bid" league who had already won their conference tournament.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I feel for some of the players on women's teams and the teams that had legit shots at winning it all. The majority of the players are true amateurs and even the ones who are good enough to play pro don't make big money. For the Big 12 I am glad Baylor won it last year, takes away some of the sting for a player like Lauren Cox who I do admire for how she plays through diabetes the way she does. Would have felt worse for Cyclones if this had been last year and Bridget has missed her last chance to play March Madness with it looking like we would be Sweet Sixteen bound.

Not much on the men's side with all of the one or two and dones and rampant cheating. It's all a tainted mess and I don't give a crap about all of the cheaters tears from the Kansas's and their ilk.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I thought this quote from Geno Auriemma regarding the cancelation of the NCAA tournament was a thoughtful statement:

Auriemma then suggested that perhaps it all helps put sports into perspective.

"People treat winning and losing like it's life and death," he said. "Maybe in some philosophical way ... this is a reminder that it's a game, man.

"All these miserable people that all they want to do is complain about a kid missing a free throw, a kid throwing a ball away, what are you going to complain about now? And all those happy people that missed the enjoyment of watching a game? I feel for them."

Here's a link to the entire article (which is not about Geno or UCONN specifically):

https://www.espn.com/womens-college...aches-wondering-been-coronavirus-cancellation

I get the reasoning behind the cancelations, but that doesn't mean it's not disappointing on a personal level to see your team play to the last buzzer. But, man, I feel for (all) the students who have played their last game in their school's uniform and didn't even know it. :(

I've come to appreciate Geno more over the years when I read some of his quotes/thoughts on the game. Of course, for him, he'll be back full strength in a couple of years with the classes he has coming in for 2020 and 2021.

Pretty good quote from Frese to:

As difficult as the situation was, Frese tried to put it into perspective. One of her twin sons, Tyler, was diagnosed with childhood leukemia in 2010, when he was 2. He had his final round of chemotherapy in December 2013 and has been cancer-free since then.
"Luckily, we've had a happy ending to that," she said. "And I have parents in their 80s. I don't want someone spreading this virus to them. So this is so much bigger than sports."

Last edited:

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...the-cancellation-of-the-2020-ncaa-tournament/.

I posted this link on the men's BB forum as well.

Career of Oregon's Ionescu ends too soon
The best player in college basketball this season was arguably Sabrina Ionescu -- the star of the Oregon women's basketball team. A fitting end to a brilliant career would have been leading Oregon to its first-ever women's national title. Or repeating as a Final Four participant. Or making her star turn to super stardom in the NCAA Tournament. She was bound and determined to turn that unfinished business to finished.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Gopher transfer Destiny Pitts to play at Texas A&M. Thought for sure she would end up at Texas Tech due to the coach connection but she found a better team to play for. Kinda surprised that Blair is taking a chance he can keep her in line for one season.

http://e.startribune.com/Olive/ODN/StarTribune/shared/ShowArticle.aspx?doc=MST/2020/05/03&entity=Ar03507&sk=ABE8F538&mode=text

that is one transfer I’m glad we passed on (not that I know if there was any interest).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
that is one transfer I’m glad we passed on (not that I know if there was any interest).

The last thing we need is more guards especially if she is sitting out. Not a need for us and/or a risk I'd want to see us take. Just about as close to a 100% bad fit as you could come up with.

Hopefully she doesn't get on of those waivers that the NCAA seems to give transfers to name schools. A&M is ranked and all but not a blue blood so maybe they won't get the corrupt favoritism the NCAA likes to dish out. Even under the unadapted proposed rules she won't get to play immediately since she was suspended.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thought I'd bump the misc thread.

Some Big 12 stuff:

Vivian Gray transferred from OSU to Texas Tech and will be immediately eligible. Two other players also left OSU. Bryn Gerlich also left OSU to TT but that was more straightforward, to play for her mother who is the new head coach. Huge blows to OSU.

Stollings is suing TT. Claiming discrimination. :rolleyes: Assume she's looking for some sort of settlement because going to trial will mean scores of ex-players on the record telling what an abusive ass she is.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Big 12 pre-season awards and picks seem a little late this year.

These are sort of BS predictions and peeps get all worked up about them but I'm curious to see where Scott gets picked. She had a breakout sophomore year but junior year was hindered by injury. If she' back 100% she could be first team by years end. Last year she was a pre-season All-Big 12 pick. Joens is, of course, a POY candidate. Donarski should be on the all freshman team, maybe freshman of year but I don't know who the other newcomers are around the lague.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Thought I'd bump the misc thread.

Some Big 12 stuff:

Vivian Gray transferred from OSU to Texas Tech and will be immediately eligible. Two other players also left OSU. Bryn Gerlich also left OSU to TT but that was more straightforward, to play for her mother who is the new head coach. Huge blows to OSU.

Stollings is suing TT. Claiming discrimination. :rolleyes: Assume she's looking for some sort of settlement because going to trial will mean scores of ex-players on the record telling what an abusive ass she is.

Welcome back.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Big 12 pre-season awards and picks seem a little late this year.

These are sort of BS predictions and peeps get all worked up about them but I'm curious to see where Scott gets picked. She had a breakout sophomore year but junior year was hindered by injury. If she' back 100% she could be first team by years end. Last year she was a pre-season All-Big 12 pick. Joens is, of course, a POY candidate. Donarski should be on the all freshman team, maybe freshman of year but I don't know who the other newcomers are around the lague.
Last year they came out on Oct 9th.

If anyone was curious, the preseason awards are POY, FOY, Newcomer OY, a ten-person all-big-12 team, and honorable mention (for anyone who gets all-big-12 votes but doesn't make the team). The preseason FOY candidates are likely Donarski (2020 ESPN #14) or two Baylor freshmen -- Andrews (#12) and Gusters (#16). I don't see any other Big 12 players rated above Aubrey Joens (#52), Ryan (#70), or Feuerbach (#71). Although there could also be a redshirt freshman out there that could be a candidate.

Any of our four freshmen could be postseason FOY / all-freshman team candidates. I think Donarski and Ryan are perhaps more likely than the other two because they might be able to get more PT due to being more experienced at PG, where we are thin. We only have Rae and MEM at PG otherwise, and I expect MEM to probably be more of a 2-guard/wing this year, where she's more natural.

Last edited:

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Last year they came out on Oct 9th.

If anyone was curious, the preseason awards are POY, FOY, Newcomer OY, a ten-person all-big-12 team, and honorable mention (for anyone who gets all-big-12 votes but doesn't make the team). The preseason FOY candidates are likely Donarski (2020 ESPN #14) or two Baylor freshmen -- Andrews (#12) and Gusters (#16). I don't see any other Big 12 players rated above Aubrey Joens (#52), Ryan (#70), or Feuerbach (#71). Although there could also be a redshirt freshman out there that could be a candidate.

Any of our four freshmen could be postseason FOY / all-freshman team candidates. I think Donarski and Ryan are perhaps more likely than the other two because they might be able to get more PT due to being more experienced at PG, where we are thin. We only have Rae and MEM at PG otherwise, and I expect MEM to probably be more of a 2-guard/wing this year, where she's more natural.

If this follow past years Baylor / Texas will dominate the preseason awards.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Ask and you shall receive: https://big12sports.com/news/2020/1...l-2020-21-wbb-preseason-awards-announced.aspx

Baylor sweeps POY/NOY/FOY. Ashley is a unanimous selection, and Scott is honorable mention.
Interesting list...3 Baylor players, and then 7 other teams each have one on the all Big 12 list (10 total named). Only Kansas and TCU are left out. Baylor also gets the Newcomer of the Year and Freshman of the year...yeah, that means 5 Baylor players on the All Big 12 or other awards. As mentioned, there are all honorable mentions, but pretty spread out too.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Next up team predictions? Baylor than TCU, Texas, KSU and ISU for 2-5 and a scrum within the next five sub .500 squads like last year?

Help Support Us

Become a patron