WBB: Miscellaneous Thread for 2020-21 Season

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I am wondering if our game with Kansas at Hilton is even rescheduled since we are out of the race now. Kansas also has games at home with both Baylor and WVU to fit in that may actually factor into the race. Not sure it's practical to try and schedule Kansas all three in less than a week. I don't think "screw Kansas" make em play three games in five days or something is the answer. We are all in this together. Seems by this time next week they will need to figure this out.

All of the postponed games can actually be played by March 7 without putting too much undue travel or tight scheduling on any team other than KSU.

But that would depend on what the Big 12 and Kansas City decide for COVID protocols -- i.e., when the teams will be required to be in KC and the testing schedule.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
All of the postponed games can actually be played by March 7 without putting too much undue travel or tight scheduling on any team other than KSU.

But that would depend on what the Big 12 and Kansas City decide for COVID protocols -- i.e., when the teams will be required to be in KC and the testing schedule.

You might be right. The easiest is WVU since they have to come to Kansas City and can road trip via Manhattan and Lawrence to get those two in, just not too early so they don't spend two weeks in Kansas/Missouri. Maybe we could host KU on the 27th or 28th so we can add a W. since we are done on the 24th and so is Kansas right now. Too early in the week for KU to play WVU even though they are also "done" on the 24th. Depending on Covid protocol and how well they play WVU could be on the road for like three weeks or more between Kansas, Missouri and than San Antonio.

Last edited:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Tech with a 10-0 run late so they only lose by 32. :rolleyes:
Vivian Gray was the only Raider with double digit scoring (12). She was 3-19 from the floor. Five other players had 6 points each. As a team, they went 0-13 from deep and 22 of their 50 points came from the charity stripe.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
If we just go 2-2 over the last four games (assuming no reschedule of Kansas) we are 10-7 in conference and will still be at around a 30 NET score which should still give us an 8 seed. We are #30 today and Texas is #29. The overall field in this messed up year is pretty weak IMHO.
That's a good point. We need to not forget that we have a super high SOS which is keeping our NET score up. Despite our recent struggles, we are still in the driver's seat for making the NCAA Tournament.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
All 9 of the postponed games now have makeup dates.

Saturday, Feb. 27
West Virginia at Kansas
Oklahoma at Texas
Kansas State at Baylor

Monday, March 1
TCU at Kansas State

Wednesday, March 3
Kansas at Iowa State
West Virginia at Kansas State

Thursday, March 4
TCU at Oklahoma

Saturday, March 6
Baylor at Kansas

Sunday, March 7
Kansas State at Oklahoma

Reactions: BoxsterCy

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
This is truly a bizarro season. If you consider what our pre-conference season would have looked like with a full schedule we'd likely be sitting with 18 or so wins right now. In a normal year a fade like we are experiencing would be a death sentence for making the dance...but this year...bizzaroworld.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
That's a good point. We need to not forget that we have a super high SOS which is keeping our NET score up. Despite our recent struggles, we are still in the driver's seat for making the NCAA Tournament.

Anything over .500 in conference has been good enough. 9-9 was good enough four times. We are at worst going 10-8, maybe 12-6 but I am betting 11-7 with loses to OSU and WVU and sweeping the rest.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I’m not sure anything is guaranteed or off the table In this strange season. In a normal year we would be a def in. With the shortened schedule it’s hard to say what will happen.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Got to thinking...we collectively keep saying our frosh have hit a wall. Yet I watch other highly touted freshmen, like Clark as an example, that just keep doing it game in and game out, what’s the difference? Inquiring minds want your thoughts.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Got to thinking...we collectively keep saying our frosh have hit a wall. Yet I watch other highly touted freshmen, like Clark as an example, that just keep doing it game in and game out, what’s the difference? Inquiring minds want your thoughts.

Clark is one of those rare freshmen that are just on another level.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
There was a Pac 12 game tonight that must have been painful to watch. 9th place Arizona State hosted 11th place Washington. After the 1st quarter, Washington led 7-2. The Huskies held a 20-14 halftime lead and also won the 4th quarter, 16-8. The final score resulted in a 50-35 home loss for ASU. The Sun Devils shot 12-58 (20.7%) from the floor, 3-24 from long range (12.5%), and 8-16 from the FT line. Washington shot a blistering (by comparison) 38% from the floor and improved to 2-10 in the league with the road win.

The moral of the story is: someone else always has it worse than you do.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Oklahoma won AT West Virginia, 72-71. WVU managed just 5 points in the 4th quarter and led OU 66-57 at the end of the 3rd.

Oklahoma State won at Texas Tech, 81-66.

Kansas State picked up their first league win against Kansas, 77-66, in Manhattan.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
There have been some upsets this week in women's basketball:
Iowa State AND West Virginia getting upset by Oklahoma! (Oklahoma winning in Morgantown is super impressive).
#12 (12-2) Ohio State lost to a (4-3) Wisconsin team
#21 Northwestern lost to Rutgers (although Rutgers has had COVID issues and haven't played a lot of games) by 16 points.
#16 Tennessee lost to #20 Kentucky ~ isn't really an upset but they lost by 15.
So it has been a crazy week.
The Iowa game vs. Nebraska was quite a game if anyone watched it... Iowa was ahead by 11 and Nebraska came roaring back in the 4th quarter. Clark had an impressive game and hit a deep three with a little over 1:00 to play to put them up by 7. The camera panned to Iowa's bench expecting a huge reaction and the team just sat there and barely clapped. Can't help but wonder?! Janel McCarville commented: "4 pt game and bench energy on zerooooo"

• Informative

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
The Iowa game vs. Nebraska was quite a game if anyone watched it... Iowa was ahead by 11 and Nebraska came roaring back in the 4th quarter. Clark had an impressive game and hit a deep three with a little over 1:00 to play to put them up by 7. The camera panned to Iowa's bench expecting a huge reaction and the team just sat there and barely clapped. Can't help but wonder?! Janel McCarville commented: "4 pt game and bench energy on zerooooo"
Although you can't deny her extreme talent and would love to have her on our team, I think some of Caitlin Clark's success and getting crazy stats are due to Bluder's system. Her usage rate is very high and she has no one she has to defer to. If she played in Coach Fen's system which is more structural offensively, her usage rate will go down, and she has to defer to Ashley to some degree, I think her season average could fall below 20 pts/game in our system.

• Agree
Reactions: SMP05

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
Although you can't deny her extreme talent and would love to have her on our team, I think some of Caitlin Clark's success and getting crazy stats are due to Bluder's system. Her usage rate is very high and she has no one she has to defer to. If she played in Coach Fen's system which is more structural offensively, her usage rate will go down, and she has to defer to Ashley to some degree, I think her season average could fall below 20 pts/game in our system.
I agree 100%! I believe that was possibly a reason for her choosing Iowa, especially since she knew the other freshmen that were signed with the Cyclones.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
There have been some upsets this week in women's basketball:
Iowa State AND West Virginia getting upset by Oklahoma! (Oklahoma winning in Morgantown is super impressive).
#12 (12-2) Ohio State lost to a (4-3) Wisconsin team
#21 Northwestern lost to Rutgers (although Rutgers has had COVID issues and haven't played a lot of games) by 16 points.
#16 Tennessee lost to #20 Kentucky ~ isn't really an upset but they lost by 15.
So it has been a crazy week.

The distance she launches some of those from is crazy. :oops:

Weird about the bench. Did stop over to one of the Hawk fan caves a while back and there was a thread where a bunch of stuffy old guys (I assume) were whining about facial expressions she makes and her "demeaner" in games. I found their comments odd, ripping on their best player and easily Freshman of the Year in Big 10 and likely POY at some point.

While looking to see if anyone in Hawkworld was commenting on the bench enthusiasm I ran across this composite of some of her long threes. Worth a look even if it is a rivals player. I'd swear her percentage drops the closer she gets to toeing the line.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Donarkis bumped her scoring average to 12.7 and upped her three percentage to 43%. She's hitting at 46% in league play from downtown.

Scott, Wise and Johnson are also all over 40%. So is Espenmiller-McGraw but she isn't play right now.

Joens, who has the most attempts, is only 31% as is Ryan. Other Joens is 30% and Fuerbach is 28%.

Big part of our game as we shoot a zillion of them, just got curious and looked at percentages since we were cold in NC and been up and down in games in Big 12. Still hitting at 37% as a team in league.

Okay time to stop stalling and get bundled up and go walkabout, enough CF surfin'. ;)

Last edited:
  • Informative