WBB: Miscellaneous Thread for 2020-21 Season

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I wish Inès was still on our team. A great young lady who persevered and overcame a lot of obstacles to play for Iowa State. You are truly missed.

Wonder where she is and what she is doing. Can't find anything. Not even listed in ISU alumni directory. Seems her situation in Africa was far from ideal and she only had a student visa.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Maryland hung on to beat Nebraska this morning. Not thinking hoops at 10 a.m. so forgot to tune in.

Did change flip into a couple Big 10 games yesterday. Gophers went down to Nebraska. Not much to see there other than Katie High School played a lot and had 9 points and a number of steals. Iowa beat Purdue later on the back of Czinano 38 points as they were cold from three.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The nations #2 offense (the irresistible force) versus Big 10's top defense (the immovable object). Iowa versus Rutgers. Stringer's been coaching since they invented basketball, or so it seems.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Looks like h*ll broke loose in the BiG tourney quarter-finals. 3 of 4 ranked top seeds all fell on the same day. But I trust Coach Frese would restore the order and lead her team to the summit.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The nations #2 offense (the irresistible force) versus Big 10's top defense (the immovable object). Iowa versus Rutgers. Stringer's been coaching since they invented basketball, or so it seems.

Channel flipped in and out of this game, maybe watched 70% of it. If we were to play Rutgers our ISU fans would totally be freaking out. Rutgers is maybe 10X as rough as anyone we play in league. I usually appreciate good tight defense but this was more smack people in the face (literally) half a dozen times and try to physically intimidate them defense. Not so much pushing and shoving, just lots of arms and elbows to the face.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Hardly a gauntlet. Texas is rated below us and while Baylor is Top 10 this is not one of their top tier NCAA #1 seed years. Texas may or may not be a good matchup for us but they haven't been as good overall as we've been this year.

iused gauntlet because while we finished ahead of Texas they were the one team wereally struggled against in both game... well and Baylor is next. I don’t doubt we can beat both of them,it will be a difficult path, one might say a gauntlet.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Channel flipped in and out of this game, maybe watched 70% of it. If we were to play Rutgers our ISU fans would totally be freaking out. Rutgers is maybe 10X as rough as anyone we play in league. I usually appreciate good tight defense but this was more smack people in the face (literally) half a dozen times and try to physically intimidate them defense. Not so much pushing and shoving, just lots of arms and elbows to the face.

I remember when Rutgers came to Ames for the tourney one yr, They were really physical and either Olson or Grimm were getting hammered all game. Whichever one it was finally got mad and just flat out pushed the next Rutgers girl that hard fouled her into the basket upright. No call and then the Rutger girl quit hammering her on every play. Refs just weren't going to call anything. So once we played the same way they did things settled down.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Forgot to flip into either the Maryland or Iowa games this afternoon. Both advanced in the Big 10 thingie. Guessing Iowa has a punchers chance, or should say shooter's chance, tomorrow in the champs game but Maryland has just as much offense and can ratchet up their defense when needed at critical points in a game. Doubt it will be as huge a shoot out as their last meet up but I'll try to flip in watch some of it. Maryland had 8 peeps with 20 minutes play time today and no one with 30 so they will be well rested. Iowa starters played 39, 36, 36, 36 and 28 and tomorrow will be game four = tired. Might be Maryland by 20.

Reactions: acoustimac

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
TOE is losing big to Maryland at halftime. Rooting hard for Coach Frese to beat the crap of them and win the B1G tournament.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Huge congrats to Coach Frese and Maryland for winning another B1G tournament title. The game set a new record of the largest winning margin in a B1G tournament championship game (20 pts).

Reactions: NWICY

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Big news from MVC. Top seed Missouri State has withdrawn from the tournament because their scheduled semi-final opponent Bradley had a positive Covid case and they didn't want to risk their chance of playing in the upcoming NCAA tournament. Drake also had a positive Covid case but is still eligible for playing. Drake is supposed to play Loyola Chicago today but MVC has reworked the bracket by allowing Drake to advance to the final without contest. Two lower seeds Bradley and Loyola Chicago will play in the lone semi-final today. Drake WBB will have a great chance to make the NCAA tourney.

https://missouristatebears.com/news...-opt-out-for-remainder-of-mvc-tournament.aspx

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: WBBfan15 and NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Drake will be very shorthanded today.

Their tournament is already a bit of a joke with the #1 seed opting out after one game. I don't fault Mizzu State though, They are ranked and NET scored in the 20's and are looking at a good NCAA seed so why risk group games and a chance their team could get knocked out of NCAA with Covid or end up short rostered like Drake is today.

Do hope Drake can get themselves a win. If someone has to steal an NCAA bid it should be the better team.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Drake WBB fell short in the MVC Tournament Championship game. I was really rooting hard for them so we could have three teams from the State of Iowa making the NCAA tournament.

Last edited:

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
It was time. In the last 5 years her recruiting had almost checked out. She had lost at least 2/3 of her fan base. The OU WBB forum had all but dried up. Yet she always had some good guards. Just never could get the post players in after the Paris twins left.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron