Here's who I have so far (all 2011 recruits):

Verballed:
Fallon Ellis, Missouri City, TX

Offers:

Taylor Greenfield, Ballard, IA
Emily Cady, Seward, NE
Calli Berna, Fayetteville, AR

Other names thrown around:
Kiah Stokes, Marion, IA (She's apparently visited at least unofficially and I figure we must have offered by now, but I've seen no report that we've offered)
Eliza Normen, Louisville, CO
Kara Spotton, Ft Collins, CO
Jen Keitel, DeWitt, IA
mystery player, NH
Sharonda Butts, Des Moines, IA
Markisha Wright, Des Moines, IA

Do we have an offer out to McKenzie Fujan, Weston, NE? Article mentions her and Cady. Hard to imagine Cady passing up Nebby.

Cady and Shooting Stars look to catch scouts' eyes

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Blue Star had her 37th. That's probably what I was thinking of.

Blue Star Basketball

WBB rankings are skewed more to top recruited players than boys are anyway. Unless the midwest girls play in the bigger events, they go unnoticed. Just like Hallie C. was not even ranked, but BF says she is one of the best posts in the country in her class and said she was ranked according to some scouting report he uses.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I've seen Hallie play a lot and she is awesome. She needs to get stronger and add a few pounds but she is extremely long and athletic. She has a really nice shooting stroke and plays great around the basketball by getting rebounds with her long arms and blocking shots. Granted, she isn't playing the stiffest competition but her potential is enormous.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
Blue Star had her 37th. That's probably what I was thinking of.

Blue Star Basketball

Just what is your view of the ratings outfits like Blue Star and Scout, for ex.? Do any of them really know what is happening in our neck of the woods? If they missed Hallie C., I wonder how many others are missed in the Midwest. Just wondering.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Anyone know where we really stand with Greenfield right now?

The staff is pretty confident - Greenfield's coach (Merle Olberding) is similar to BF is terms of the fiery personality, and she likes our motion, perimeter-oriented offense, which fits her perfectly. Someone told me she and her family attended the game last night, but I did not see her.
Since women bb players are generally more academically focused than men, you always have to be wary of schools like Stanford and Duke in the picture, especially since they are both very strong programs.
My money is still on ISU, especially with Lacey's (Ballard alum) success.

Reactions: isufan

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
I sure hope you are right about Greenfield. Here is a bit of news from Duke, one of our competitors for her; Duke signed one of the best bigs in New Jersey, Haley Peters, whose profile sounds a lot like Taylor's. Peters is a recruit for 2010, though, not 2011. She is 6'-3", can play inside or out, sees the floor well, etc. Might this cool Taylor a bit on Duke?

Ames

Sep 5, 2006
I don't get how any WBB recruit could come to a game at Hilton and not leave wanting to play for ISU.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I don't get how any WBB recruit could come to a game at Hilton and not leave wanting to play for ISU.

Agreed, we should have the state of Iowa and a good chunk of the surrounding area on lockdown. Solid school, amazing women's sports environment.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
The staff is pretty confident - Greenfield's coach (Merle Olberding) is similar to BF is terms of the fiery personality, and she likes our motion, perimeter-oriented offense, which fits her perfectly. Someone told me she and her family attended the game last night, but I did not see her.
Since women bb players are generally more academically focused than men, you always have to be wary of schools like Stanford and Duke in the picture, especially since they are both very strong programs.
My money is still on ISU, especially with Lacey's (Ballard alum) success.

I'd say ISU over Duke, but my thought is Stanford is the biggest challenge. McCallie is on the same level as Fennelly and especially not Vanderver. On the other hand, Stanford is a premiere academic institution, offers the chance to play for a legend like Tara, and a is program full of tradition and fan support.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I'd say ISU over Duke, but my thought is Stanford is the biggest challenge. McCallie is on the same level as Fennelly and especially not Vanderver. On the other hand, Stanford is a premiere academic institution, offers the chance to play for a legend like Tara, and a is program full of tradition and fan support.

Actually, the fan support is not there at Stanford - they averaged less than 4,000 fans last year.
Duke had much more support around 6,700 per game, and of course ISU was #3 in the country with over 9,700.
Certainly Stanford is more picturesque than Duke, and both are great schools. Stanford's style of play is a little more like ISU's, while McCallie's system is much more physical and gritty.
Tara is a legend, and deservedly so, but BF play up to recruits that because of the fans interest here, players are celebrities like nowhere else save for UConn, Tenn, and Oklahoma.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006

I happened to run into her dad at the game last night. It had been a few years since I've seen him but I used to know him from playing golf at Veenker. It was nice to catch up a little with him and I made sure NOT to pry about where his daughter might end up. I hope it's here, though!!

ARSON

Apr 9, 2006
She was there wednesday.
I saw her and her mom and brother outside in the walkway afterwards and said good luck to her. This probably makes at least the 4th game I have seen her here.
I think Bill closes deals on the gals that make it inside Hilton quite a bit and especially those that are from Iowa

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
ARSON - haven't heard much from you lately - didn't you used to report on Missouri/KC area players? We haven't heard much about them in recent years.

ARSON

Apr 9, 2006
Hey there!

Yeah, it's been a tough couple of years with not only K State out front but Gary down at A&M hit the local connection via the juco's (outstepping the outgoing Stein at MU) and KU now has 2 gals that are juniors here (outstanding guards) that have orally pledged to Bonnie (that just sounds nasty when you consider it is Bonnie!!!).
Okie State has a couple gals for the next couple of years that are top 150 kids coming out of the state.

Jack keeps an eye down here and there are a couple that I am sure interest them but with the push of others here in KC and the good number of Iowa girls Bill has his type of player still coming!
I would like to see us use 5 schollies for next year but that is doubtful.
I know Hallie is very skilled (needs growth and with our 3 frosh this year will make things easier for her IMO) and the Aussie juco guard will have a lot of pressure on her to step up and I think the consensus is that she will contribute!

You just have to be really proud to have BF as our coach and his assistants. So many probably don't realize what a great scouting job that they do and that allows us the opp to beat these physically superior teams

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Actually, the fan support is not there at Stanford - they averaged less than 4,000 fans last year.

Granted. I haven't looked it up, but 4,000 is probably still in the top 25 for attendance. Maples only holds 7500 or so. Their high attendance sell-out games - Tennessee, don't up the average much. Not like ISU where 10,000 people are all pretty much in good seats.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We are recruiting Maddie Oliver, a 6'2" junior forward at Roland Story. I don't know if a scholarship offer is in the future or not, but ISU is interested. She is a smart, unselfish player who has attended our camps. A very good player.

cyking

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Boone
We are recruiting Maddie Oliver, a 6'2" junior forward at Roland Story. I don't know if a scholarship offer is in the future or not, but ISU is interested. She is a smart, unselfish player who has attended our camps. A very good player.
She was playing gilbert last night. The Kansas State coach was in the stands.