*** WBB vs. Cincinnati (Sat., 1:00) ***

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
As I've been checking past few weeks seems like Crooks pulling away from her statistically rather than them getting close to each other.

Seems like Big 12 media relations is bending over backwards to worship UT/OU on their way out for some reason though.

The coaches vote the awards, not the Big 12 conference team or the media.

Sooners and Longhorns are in 1st and 2nd place so there is that to factor in. Big 12 should be doing conference PR for the Sooners and the league since the title winner of our conference is not getting any ranking respect yet beat all of us and we are also looking for some seeding help/respect.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The coaches vote the awards, not the Big 12 conference team or the media.

Sooners and Longhorns are in 1st and 2nd place so there is that to factor in. Big 12 should be doing conference PR for the Sooners and the league since the title winner of our conference is not getting any ranking respect yet beat all of us and we are also looking for some seeding help/respect.

The social media like the B12 IG/FB/Twitter has mostly been a "let's worship OU/Texas outlet" for some really weird reason...beyond what they deserve even in MBB this year when they are just middle of pack teams.

No problem with them promoting any conference champ or national title contender...but some of the promotional efforts are totally tone deaf to reality. There's no need for them to act as if Texas mbb exists in terms of marketing effort.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
How does the tie breakers work for seeding the B12 tourney?

Assuming there will be at least a 3 way tie, we have the head to head on Baylor, although we only played 1 time, but we split with WVU?

People were putting us in the 4 spot, before today, so I assume with our win we still are, but dont know for sure.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
How does the tie breakers work for seeding the B12 tourney?

Assuming there will be at least a 3 way tie, we have the head to head on Baylor, although we only played 1 time, but we split with WVU?

People were putting us in the 4 spot, before today, so I assume with our win we still are, but dont know for sure.
If Baylor loses tomorrow then we drop down to a 5 seed. If they win, we are the 4 seed. Sucks that we have to wait till tomorrow as that is the only Big 12 game being played on Sunday.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2speedy1

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Those didn't bug me too much. I think they often call jumpballs too quickly. Not so much the ones on the floor but the ones where both are standing and have a hold. Always think they should give them another second to see if someone actually wrestles it away.
The rule actually reads where two opponents have hands on the ball where one player can not secure possession without undue force.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
If Baylor loses tomorrow then we drop down to a 5 seed. If they win, we are the 4 seed. Sucks that we have to wait till tomorrow as that is the only game being played on Sunday.

That was kind of what I was thinking when reading the rules online, but it was not exactly clear.

Thanks

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Reactions: NWICY and 2speedy1

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Comparing a post to a small forward forced into playing PG for her team is pretty hard. In any other year either would likely be the runaway winner. Thinking they probably lean to Booker because of her leading them and keeping them in the Top Ten when they lost their consensus POY PG in Harmon. No one expected Crooks to be THIS good this year or expected Booker to play point guard. Both have been crazy good as freshman.
I keep thinking about your argument for Booker and more could be said about Audi. She filled in a spot that is typically dominated by upperclassmen on a team that has 7 new players in the 9 player rotation. She has managed to lead a team to the tournament that wasn’t expected and has only two more losses in conference play as compared to powerhouse Texas.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and ICCYFAN

joyisuful

Feb 3, 2023
If Baylor loses, how do they do the tie breaker with us and WVirginia since we split? Do they go by point spread?
If Baylor loses tomorrow then we drop down to a 5 seed. If they win, we are the 4 seed. Sucks that we have to wait till tomorrow as that is the only Big 12 game being played on Sunday.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I keep thinking about your argument for Booker and more could be said about Audi. She filled in a spot that is typically dominated by upperclassmen on a team that has 7 new players in the 9 player rotation. She has managed to lead a team to the tournament that wasn’t expected and has only two more losses in conference play as compared to powerhouse Texas.

Keep in mind I am not arguing against Crooks, just stepping back and looking at how the coaches might evaluate it. Crooks might already be my favorite all-time player at ISU. Going to be a tough vote for the coaches. Booker and Crooks haven't just been the best freshman, they've been the best players.

This is like Shohei Ohtani vs Aaron Judge for MLB MVP a couple of years ago. Both were deserving and you could have unapologetically voted for either without having to defend your vote or explain how your player is the "better" one. Twitter was full of fans cherry-picking stats to show how the 'other" one was undeserving which was truly silly. Between Crooks and Booker I don't think either is decisively "better". They've both been great. I bet either one of them would trade an individual award for the title that the Sooners won. They are both unselfish team players. If anything Booker should maybe have looked for her shot more than she did. Whoever the coaches vote will have 'won" the award and the other will not have "lost" it .

Texas did lose one of the best players in the country and POY pick for the Big 12 at PG. ISU would not have been 12-6 if Ryan hadn't been able to play PG in league play. Booker playing PG would have been like us having Brown take over point all through league play. On the other hand Crooks has excelled at post were the best don't usually start out like a house afire. Both players were their team MVP for what that is worth in scaling things.

Reactions: acoustimac

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Keep in mind I am not arguing against Crooks, just stepping back and looking at how the coaches might evaluate it. Crooks might already be my favorite all-time player at ISU. Going to be a tough vote for the coaches. Booker and Crooks haven't just been the best freshman, they've been the best players.

This is like Shohei Ohtani vs Aaron Judge for MLB MVP a couple of years ago. Both were deserving and you could have unapologetically voted for either without having to defend your vote or explain how your player is the "better" one. Twitter was full of fans cherry-picking stats to show how the 'other" one was undeserving which was truly silly. Between Crooks and Booker I don't think either is decisively "better". They've both been great. I bet either one of them would trade an individual award for the title that the Sooners won. They are both unselfish team players. If anything Booker should maybe have looked for her shot more than she did. Whoever the coaches vote will have 'won" the award and the other will not have "lost" it .

Texas did lose one of the best players in the country and POY pick for the Big 12 at PG. ISU would not have been 12-6 if Ryan hadn't been able to play PG in league play. Booker playing PG would have been like us having Brown take over point all through league play. On the other hand Crooks has excelled at post were the best don't usually start out like a house afire. Both players were their team MVP for what that is worth in scaling things.
Discussion / debate is what makes the board interesting - I'll play along:

Madison Booker was the #12 ranked recruit in the country (ESPN W), has played on numerous USA Under 17, 18 & 19 Age Group Teams, and was expected to lead Texas to the conference title. I know they lost Harmon early but that team still had enough firepower to win the conference, yet didn't. Texas has had 29 McDonald's All Americans in their program over the last decade or so. Booker's supporting cast is very high quality.

Audi Crooks was the #58 Player in the recruiting class, played in Iowa's smallest grouping of schools (1A) and never played for a top AAU team. She wasn't expected to start in the post for ISU - Isnelle Natabou was recruited out of the portal and started the first four games of the season. ISU has signed three McDonald's All-Americans in program history. Crooks supporting cast is good, but young.

In terms of expectations, Booker has played well but might have fallen slightly short, while Crooks has frigging blown them out of the water by every measure. Audi Crooks should be the Big XII FOY.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
If Baylor loses, how do they do the tie breaker with us and WVirginia since we split? Do they go by point spread?
Record against the #1 team(s) in conference, moving down the list until a winner is determined. WV would get the 4 seed because they went 1-0 against #1 OK while ISU went 0-1.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

Audi played one less conference game than Booker thanks to TCU.