We are Unranked now

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You’re just terrible with this ****.

You’re one of those people that enjoy being miserable. That’s a you thing.

You are unbalanced about this stuff. And you come here and lose your ****. I know a lot of people that talked mad **** to Iowa fans about how good we were going to be. Now we struggle against uni, and you had to eat it. So rather than be like we played bad, i hope we get better, you come here and post after post is just the same old fatalistic ******** from you.

Seriously punching yourself in the face would be more pleasant for you that being subjected more Iowa State football.

I never tell Iowa fans how good we're going to be. I've been an ISU fan for 40+ years, and an ISU alumn too.... so I'm smarter than to be telling Iowa fans how good we're going to be.

And did we play bad against UNI.... well somewhat yes.... but we did win the stats battle pretty handily.... so it was much more of an issue with sloppy penalties and mistakes, as well as poor playcalling in critical circumstances, and a poor game plan going in IMO. Defense was lights out though, but that didn't surprise me. Heacock is really good.

Now do you want to discuss those opinions of mine, or just resort to namecalling? I can do either, but I'd prefer to just discuss any disagreements you have.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
I’ve watched the game 3 to 4 times and think Play calling and execution were great against UNI 95% of the time. Unfortunately the 5% of mistakes killed drives. An rpo might be a great play call but if you make the wrong read I would call that an execution mistake and not a bad play call. With a great defense your offense has to just not lose the game for you and they almost did that Saturday. CMC has repeatedly said he likes the week two bye, he credits a week two bye as part of the reason for Mount Union’s success. Let’s hope they fix the mistakes and we beat TOE.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Do you suppose CMC will play it vanilla against Iowa too, like he did last year?[/QUOTE]

ISU wasn't conservative, Iowa's DL dominated ISU's OLine. if you can't run block or pass block you can't run effective plays. Play action doesn't work if the defense doesn't have to respect the run. How are you going to throw the ball downfield when the QB only has 2 seconds to get rid of it?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I would love it if we could come out and run it down everyone's throat, control the clock, and just bury opponents that way. But that's not who we are. We don't have the talent at the positions you need to have the talent in order to do that.

So we need to try something else. Our OL can't push people around and dominate.

So yes, I'd rather see us use a lot more of a passing attack, and using the whole field side to side and make Iowa's defense run. If we try that and it still doesn't work, then you give Iowa credit for just being the better team, but at least we tried everything.

I didn't feel that way after last year's Iowa game at all. It felt like we didn't even try to win the game. We seemed to use a third of the playbook or something.

Holy cripes it was our 1st game of the season after the rain out. We didn't even get blown out if the punter or the offense either one would have showed up to that game it might have been a W.

johnwayne

Sep 2, 2012
So you are predicting only 3-4 more wins this year?
jump to conclusions much? But remember the Rhoads era? two bowl games. then nothing. Ive been here before, crowed to the hawk fans about how the future was ours..and look how that turned out. The real test of a coach is years 3,4,and 5. After teams adjust to his style. So..the nut cup hangs on the wall, within reach. Its harder to believe when youve already needed the cup multiple times. So forgive me for being a tiny bit skeptical.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
And to think that when both Iowa and ISU began the season ranked we all talked about how this would be the first time we played one another where both teams were ranked. Ha.

That was until CMC and Manning decided to be cute and not show anything whatsoever against UNI and nearly get beat and embarrassed.

But we got what we deserved.... that's what playing ultra conservative will do.

Do you suppose CMC will play it vanilla against Iowa too, like he did last year?
The thing that scares me is this: What we actually saw what this team has last week?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Poor Clonedude’s keyboard.
giphy.gif

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
jump to conclusions much? But remember the Rhoads era? two bowl games. then nothing. Ive been here before, crowed to the hawk fans about how the future was ours..and look how that turned out. The real test of a coach is years 3,4,and 5. After teams adjust to his style. So..the nut cup hangs on the wall, within reach. Its harder to believe when youve already needed the cup multiple times. So forgive me for being a tiny bit skeptical.

You made the assumption - you said you don't like a program with 2 x 8 win seasons back to back if it is followed by a 4-5 win season. Since the only time in recent history we have had two 8 win seasons back to back has been the last two under CMC, it seemed you are predicting that this season will be 4-5 wins.

I mean help me out, I have only been going to ISU football games since the Peach Bowl so I probably don't have near as much experience as you but to me, there is nothing similar about what is taking place with this program to what has taken place the previous 45 years. The quality of athletes, the facilities, the results, the number of fans in the stadium.

Are there going to be disappointments and setbacks? Since we don't have a cursive A on our helmet, I am going to guess so. But if you think what is taking place in the program right now isn't much different - in a better way - than what has taken place the last 45 years - more power to you. I am sure we just go through 4 or 5 more coaches we can get this project to the level some of you expect.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I never tell Iowa fans how good we're going to be. I've been an ISU fan for 40+ years, and an ISU alumn too.... so I'm smarter than to be telling Iowa fans how good we're going to be.

And did we play bad against UNI.... well somewhat yes.... but we did win the stats battle pretty handily.... so it was much more of an issue with sloppy penalties and mistakes, as well as poor playcalling in critical circumstances, and a poor game plan going in IMO. Defense was lights out though, but that didn't surprise me. Heacock is really good.

Now do you want to discuss those opinions of mine, or just resort to namecalling? I can do either, but I'd prefer to just discuss any disagreements you have.

Ok so you missed the point, again.

CORoadrunner

Aug 16, 2012
* Bye weeks in September---drive me fking nuts. Nice (September) weather is fleeting in Iowa . Why push games to November and see our field look like crap?

* Quit bowing to ISU's turf management program, and install an artificial turf system. Artificial turf looks fantastic at night--in november. Ours looks like CRAP in November. High schools are years ahead of ISU in this decision. We have a field that looks good for THREE home games.

Completely agree with bye weeks in September, but installing artificial turf? Did you ever watch a game from the lower level on the north east side of the stadium when we had that awful crap on the field. After the first year it was washed out by the sun and you couldn't tell the lines at all. The sun would shine in the afternoon and it would glare off the field. You would see a guy running and not know if he was going forward or sideways because you, literally, could not see the lines beyond the 50 yard line to the south.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Completely agree with bye weeks in September, but installing artificial turf? Did you ever watch a game from the lower level on the north east side of the stadium when we had that awful crap on the field. After the first year it was washed out by the sun and you couldn't tell the lines at all. The sun would shine in the afternoon and it would glare off the field. You would see a guy running and not know if he was going forward or sideways because you, literally, could not see the lines beyond the 50 yard line to the south.

Hate to break it to you but turf technology has improved since we had it in the 90s.

• Winner
Reactions: CubsClones1

CORoadrunner

Aug 16, 2012
Hate to break it to you but turf technology has improved since we had it in the 90s.
Yes, it has improved, but I hate to break it to you, but I just spent 2 years watching my son play college baseball on brand new turf and it still glares the same way. Works fine for baseball when there aren't many lines to worry about. Still sucks for football.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
Our Poor punting against TOE last year really took the pressure off their offense. That worries me this year as well. I used to be the one saying go for it on 4th and 1 if you’re close to midfield but with good punting and our defense you can often get the ball right back at the 50. That might be the kind of team we are this year. My worry is we slightly out gain them but lose the field position battle when exchanging punts.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Having a bye week means you have 2 weeks to rest, heal, and to prepare for 1 opponent, so there is pressure on winning. Being unranked and playing a ranked opponent gives added motivation to win. Losing 4 in a row to EIU is even more motivation. The oddsmakers also have Iowa as a favorite. Next year is at Iowa. The only games on the schedule more important than Cyhawk are Texas and Okie. No other teams on our schedule are ranked. Campbell needs to go Neapolitan with the offense if we are going to ever get past EIU.

lets-talk

Jun 13, 2018
Having a bye week means you have 2 weeks to rest, heal, and to prepare for 1 opponent, so there is pressure on winning. Being unranked and playing a ranked opponent gives added motivation to win. Losing 4 in a row to EIU is even more motivation. The oddsmakers also have Iowa as a favorite. Next year is at Iowa. The only games on the schedule more important than Cyhawk are Texas and Okie. No other teams on our schedule are ranked. Campbell needs to go Neapolitan with the offense if we are going to ever get past EIU.
You are in the minority apparently coz for some bizarre reason the consensus (I’m going by responses in other threads) is that cmc should treat this like an ordinary outing and grind it out.