We have Coach Dresser, now what about his assistants??

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
Long time looker, first time poster...Just throwing another name I haven't heard, maybe it's not an option due to him still competing but what about Tony Ramos? Is he still at North Carolina ? Seems like he would fit the mold and be a good light weight guy If Dresser cleans house and starts over...and he left unhappy with Brands....would also welcome zadick and st.john...just my 2 cents!
I'll throw another question out there-anyone think KJ stays on with CWC to help the international side of things?? Maybe that's a better fit for his pedigree....

I would guess that having KJ in charge of the CWC would make things a little awkward, and I doubt they have the money for that anyways. If they could somehow make it work I think that would be great because then maybe you get the best of both worlds, but I just don't see it being realistic.

• Agree
Reactions: Judoka

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Ramos would certainly add to the Brands rivalry, but if Zadick comes with it would there would be some redundancy in the light weights. I assume the Zadick domino would need to fall one way or the other before any other lightweight coach gets offered.

Hard to say with KJ and the CWC...ultimately that'll be Dresser's call. He's obviously sticking around the AD in some capacity but I don't know if he'll have any active role around the wrestlers. Part of me says he should be completely away from the program, including the CWC, just so there are no split allegiances with holdover wrestlers.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Agree that the split needs to be clean with KJ. Can't have him doing some coaching and trying to change the culture

The only thing I'm a little worried about is some other RTC might hire him and some guys defect. Which is why I hope the plan to have him stick around in the AD for a year to finish out his contract is followed through on by both sides.

AGRCyclone

Mar 23, 2010
just a couple thoughts-i still think honestly if Zadick does not get HC job at VT him and st.john can be lured to Ames-and I would be thrilled with that combo...Interesting thoughts on VT board most think Robie will get it, others want Zadick and some want to open national search with some of the same names that were speculated are being thrown out-Perry, Pop, Kolat, Guerrero etc...biggest question in my book is will he incorporate any former cyclones if he doesnt bring Zadick and DSJ....also love to see Varner back in ames

Reactions: Cyk Aboody

RossIAwrestle

Mar 27, 2014
Something to think about. There has been some talk that what Dresser lacks is Freestyle experience and being able to match others' resumes in that respect. That's one of the big things Zadick brings to the table.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Also seems like the area that TP1 & TP2 have excelled in with the recent success of Storr and Parker at Dave Schultz and Fargo last year with 5 in the finals

• Agree
Reactions: HGoat and csteve

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
just a couple thoughts-i still think honestly if Zadick does not get HC job at VT him and st.john can be lured to Ames-and I would be thrilled with that combo...Interesting thoughts on VT board most think Robie will get it, others want Zadick and some want to open national search with some of the same names that were speculated are being thrown out-Perry, Pop, Kolat, Guerrero etc...biggest question in my book is will he incorporate any former cyclones if he doesnt bring Zadick and DSJ....also love to see Varner back in ames
No reason for Varner to come to Ames for anything less than the HC job. He is from California, and is currently in the best program in the country. Money wont be an option as I think PSU and Cael would match anything we can offer. Unless Varner hates Sanderson, and I don't think that's the case, he will not be coming.

In all honesty, while KJ has gotten highly rated recruits, almost all have wrestled below potential during their time here. I want Dresser to get better versions of the guys he got at VT. Most of those recruits were 5-10 nationally or unranked at their weight when they came, and turned into AA in their time there, wrestling well above ranking. I want Dresser to get the best wrestlers that wrestle his way. Rankings are just a metric to keep people interested in the off season. For every David Taylor there is a Destin McCauley.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
While I'd love to have a couple old ISU guys as assistants. Dresser has showed the ability to hire solid staffers. I will completely defer to whomever he chooses. I wanted a HC, so hiring assistants wouldn't be a new thing for them. I got what I wanted with Dresser, the rest is up to him

• Agree
Reactions: HitItHard58

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
While I'd love to have a couple old ISU guys as assistants. Dresser has showed the ability to hire solid staffers. I will completely defer to whomever he chooses. I wanted a HC, so hiring assistants wouldn't be a new thing for them. I got what I wanted with Dresser, the rest is up to him
Not only did we get a head coach, but a program builder. This was the best hire I think we could have made. We can speculate all we want, but we hired the most sure thing in the country that was available. Great move by the AD.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa

Read into it as you want but appears there maybe a few coaches that were let go?

Edit: as stated below by Buf and Judoku all coaches do not have a contract after this year.

Last edited:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
They are all out of a job after Nationals except for KJ. Nobody else has a contract beyond this year

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Read into it as you want but appears there maybe a few coaches that were let go?

Like Buf says, everybody is gone unless Dresser chooses to keep them. But that also means they don't have to put up with a prima donna just because they'll score NCAA points.

Reactions: Scott34

CloneVIII

Dec 16, 2016
While I can agree that a productive and successful RTC is a great recruiting tool and is a very valid priority, NCAA championships are what will breed a fruitful stable of world class wrestlers in the CWC. J Robinson and Tom Ryan were able to recruit and build championship teams without having Olympic success themselves and I'm sure Coach Dresser will be able to continue to be an excellent recruiter as always. Once again, I fully trust in Coach Dresser's vision to rebuild our program, so I'm sure his plans on the CWC are solid. When we return to the NCAA powerhouse we are meant to be, Olympic gold will follow.

ajbjunior

Feb 4, 2007
During the questions after the presser KD said he wouldn't hire assistants until after NCAA's. he said he had heard there would be some movement with coaches. Eluding in people being let go to me. He said he would see where things go and go from there.

A couple things I thought was one he's going to explore all options and two is there a head coach that's going to be let go that would make a good assistant?

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
During the questions after the presser KD said he wouldn't hire assistants until after NCAA's. he said he had heard there would be some movement with coaches. Eluding in people being let go to me. He said he would see where things go and go from there.

A couple things I thought was one he's going to explore all options and two is there a head coach that's going to be let go that would make a good assistant?
I think it was more along the lines of...there will be open HC positions which some current assistants will likely fill. This will cause a domino effect as new head coaches will hire new assistants and there will be a lot of movement. I doubt he was thinking of hiring a head coach that gets fired. I also don't know if there are going to be many openings outside of Pitt and VT.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98