Weather for Tech - 6pm, Sub-20s

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
One of my sons and his friends were in the vicinity of the teletubbies in the student section in light jackets and I spent the game worrying about them, but at least they had hats and gloves. Other than that it was a blast. Someone gave us a cup to dig the snow off our seats but our feet were in snow most of the game. Guy a couple of rows ahead of us had painted his chest. Best part was the game was never in doubt.

I’m sure if the game would have been a dud, I wouldn’t remember it so fondly!

For some reason there was snow/water dripping on my mom’s foot during that game. So she ended up with a pretty frozen toe.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I heard TxT's coach this morning say they are practicing early in the mornings to get accustomed to low temperature balling like they'll find in Ames Saturday. He said Lubbock was in the 20s during practice.

• Funny
  • Haha
Reactions: aauummm and Lineup

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

"I'll be bundled up, man. I'm going to be comfortable and fired up. (Equipment operations director) Zane (Perry) will have all kinds of cold gear packed. Vaseline and Right Guard so your feet don't sweat. We're going to definitely be comfortable and playing fast."

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: aauummm

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
I want to feel like we can win this game. But why do I feel like we are tempting other outcomes by claiming the weather will give us a huge advantage?

I am just a little jaded and hope we get another thrashing of TT especially for last season's game.

Here is to a solid defense and an offense that tries a few wrinkles and runs them through multiple drives.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
I want to feel like we can win this game. But why do I feel like we are tempting other outcomes by claiming the weather will give us a huge advantage?

I am just a little jaded and hope we get another thrashing of TT especially for last season's game.

Here is to a solid defense and an offense that tries a few wrinkles and runs them through multiple drives.
You're not going to able to feel at all come Saturday night.

• Funny
Reactions: t-noah

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I heard TxT's coach this morning say they are practicing early in the mornings to get accustomed to low temperature balling like they'll find in Ames Saturday. He said Lubbock was in the 20s during practice.
Feels like Iowa 20s and west Texas 20s are not the same.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Personally I am excited to experience the three phases of cold weather tailgating: excitement for the novelty of it, "holy fck why did we do this", and then settling in to a(n alcohol-aided) permanent state of cold.

• Useful
Reactions: Cycsk

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Looking at the scenario... I'm thinking about 18° at game time. About 14° at the end of the game. Not a ton of wind but will bring things down closer to feeling like 5-10° during the game.

I'm having troubles finding the coldest games in JTS history. I believe they used to publish them in Media Guides but the 2022 version doesn't have this info. If anyone can lead this horse to water, I'd appreciate it.

That said, I know KU - 2013 was the coldest with a game time temp of 8°. Ames Municipal Data shown in the graph.

Colorado - 1991 Blizzard is number 2. It was 17° at game time. Ames Weather Station wasn't around so Des Moines Int'l Data shown in the graph.

This Saturday one would be up in the realm of that #2 range.
Attended that 1991 Blizzard game. It was actually pretty toasty as you could bury yourself in the drifts.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Anyone know if a solo stove fire pit is allowed tailgating? I have see some propane firepits and obviously charcoal grills. Just trying to nail down my heating options for Saturday.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Anyone know if a solo stove fire pit is allowed tailgating? I have see some propane firepits and obviously charcoal grills. Just trying to nail down my heating options for Saturday.
Just do it. I doubt they enforce that Saturday. If I had one I’d bring it. The worst they could do is just tell you to put it out.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone