Week of 9/6

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
Observations from Last Weekend:
Iowa State ~ played well against LSU and Oregon St. Looked very intimidated against Penn St. (yikes!) Would have loved to see them play with a bit more confidence in the first two sets. 4-1
Upcoming: play an undefeated Syracuse but they haven't played anybody too tough yet. Thankfully they play Iowa on Thursday so we can watch them play before we meet them on Friday.
Iowa will be on Saturday ~ Iowa can put together one tough set, which they did against Washington and Colorado, but then they tend to fall apart once the other team make adjustments. They also tend to have a lot of hitting errors. Buzzerio is their go-to and they have a decent MB in Jones. Iowa is 0-4.
Ball State is also undefeated so far. They beat UNI 3-1. *I have not watched them play yet.*

Baylor ~ has had a couple of TOUGH matches with now ranked Tennessee and Pittsburgh. Both matches went to five sets, with Baylor on the losing end. I am sure they will get it figured out though because it is Baylor. They will play #7 Florida twice this weekend. 1-3

Kansas ~ I have not watched Kansas play yet... they beat Lipscomb and Wake Forest, but lost to ranked Western Kentucky in three sets. They will play Delaware, Wichita State and Kent State this weekend. 2-3

Kansas State ~ close sets to ranked Pepperdine but lost all three sets. Went five sets with USCB and won, as well as beating San Diego St in four. They seem to be a little up and down in their matches. They will play Ohio, Loyola Chicago and Fresno St. this weekend. 3-2

Oklahoma ~ only lost one set this weekend which was to Air Force, and went 3-0 beating Seattle and Gonzaga as well. They will play Indiana and Mississippi State this weekend. 3-3

Texas ~ Last Wednesday was actually a fun match to watch, playing #10 Minnesota. It was a tough match with a comeback win in the first set (15-21 was the score) and then going back and forth the next four sets. Only one set has Texas lost so far this season and that was to Minnesota. (if it wasn't for Sameday, Minnesota would be struggling). Texas played a young, but ranked Stanford team and although the first set was close, they did well against them. Had an easy match vs Texas St. last night and won. ~ They will play Arizona & Notre Dame (who struggled this past weekend). 5-0 (still ranked #1)

TCU ~ Won all three matches while not losing a set. Huge turnaround from the brutal opening weekend that they had. They will play Louisiana Tech, North Florida and Houston Baptist this weekend. 3-2

Texas Tech ~ won 2 of 3 of their matches, but lost to #6 Ohio State. They started off strong, but Ohio State pulled away eventually and never looked back. 5-2

West Virginia ~ is now receiving votes!! They beat #23 Michigan in three sets and Navy as well. They have an easy weekend ahead with American, Canisius and Buffalo (Buffalo went five sets with Syracuse, just a bit of info). 5-0

Other games:
Nebraska went 5 sets with Omaha, yes, Omaha! Seems a little unfair to me that although they pulled these wins out this past weekend, so many teams are playing better than they are right now for them to "deserve" a #3 ranking. Blech! I guess, we will see as they play Creighton tonight, who is playing lights out right now, especially after beating Kentucky in three sets over the weekend.

UNI is 2-4, had a tough weekend playing Kentucky and Creighton.

Drake did not get to play last weekend as their tourney was cancelled as it was scheduled for Jacksonville, Florida.

Well ~ hope everyone enjoys reading my input. :) Go Cyclones!!

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Blew 21-16 lead but win set one 26-24 whew!

Second set not close 25-18 Ball St.

Clones take set 3
25-19 to take a two sets to one lead

Last edited:
Reactions: SMP05

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Quality win vs the Orange of Syracuse- Lets sweep!
And go on to finish out the Tourney and beat IOWA. I didn't have time to check for live coverage and it appears there wasn't any for today-not a high priority I gather.

Iowa Volleyball is off to a bad start at 0-5. Hope to keep that streak alive.

Reactions: SMP05 and NWICY

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
2 solid wins today over undefeated opponents. I honestly don’t know what we would’ve done without Newsome at setter this season. Really need to find that solid 2nd OH and Thomas might fit the bill.

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
First set of the Iowa Match… Cyclones looked very sluggish and not passing well. Would really like a new stats person as the stats are wrong as well. Frustrating.
Annie Hatch is not playing today, looks as though she is in warmups.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Agree, inexcusable to get swept like that.
Watched the UNI match tonight at CF on ESPN+ and ISU dominated for the sweep. Did not see the fiasco against TOE on Saturday but after watching ISU play tonight, it makes you wonder how in hell did ISU get swept in that match.

Jenna Brandt was a starting setter for UNI in their 6-2 lineup. She and the frosh setter played OK but UNI is not strong this season on the front row.

TrulyCyclone

Jul 31, 2021
Fun to dominate UNI in something. Certainly looked good doing it, anyone have thoughts on the teams potential?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Don't get too excited. UNI is hot garbage.

Bobbi probably shouldn't have gotten into a pissing match with the assistant that actually did all the coaching. Drove him off and have been pretty terrible since.

Last edited:

TrulyCyclone

Jul 31, 2021
I was hoping for a 8 games into the season look, not based on the outcome of one match. Getting swept by Iowa was bad, so it's not like I have that rosie of an outlook. Just wanted to know others opinions and stimulate some conversation.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Our middle blocking against UNI was Horrible! They also blew it through our block on the pins way more times than should have happened. We are talking FR and SO from small schools not highly recruited tooling our block or blowing it straight through. NOT a good look- Our passing was better but we have got to clean up the blocking or Big 12 opponents will kill us. Aliyah Carter or Pressley would have had 30 kills last night-

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
Don't get too excited. UNI is hot garbage.

Bobbi probably shouldn't have gotten into a pissing match with the assistant that actually did all the coaching. Drove him off and have been pretty terrible since.
I’m very curious on that little bit of tea - I think we need more details!

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I’m very curious on that little bit of tea - I think we need more details!

Longtime assistant Kalani Mahi's daughter was an all State setter at cedar Falls, Bobbi chose not to play her as an RS freshman for some reason and played her own kid all the time. Pissed Kalani off so he quit.

Program hasen't been near the same since

• Informative

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Longtime assistant Kalani Mahi's daughter was an all State setter at cedar Falls, Bobbi chose not to play her as an RS freshman for some reason and played her own kid all the time. Pissed Kalani off so he quit.

Program hasen't been near the same since
Mahi's daughter transferred to Pepperdine, left the program and not sure if she is still playing D1 VB. And it wasn't Bobbi's daughter, it was a setter from Dike-NH who ended up MVC all-conference.