Welch Ave trees

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

croelfs10

Feb 21, 2024
Came across an older picture of Welch the other day that was taken sometime before the 2020 renovation and noticed how hard of a hit the overall look and aesthetic of Welch took once the old light poles and trees were removed. Wondering if anyone else noticed this or has any onside knowledge on if the trees will ever make a return

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Gotta love it when planners and designers try to add "character" to a street or neighborhood by removing the few things that may have given it even a fleeting bit of character to begin with.
I can promise you it's not the planners and designers who are pulling trees out of streets. It's typically Public Works people who don't want them there because they mess with streets, sidewalks, and underground utilities.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I can promise you it's not the planners and designers who are pulling trees out of streets. It's typically Public Works people who don't want them there because they mess with streets, sidewalks, and underground utilities.
I remember the city asking for votes on, I think 3, options for what to do with Welch. Had to do with bike lanes and raised curbs and narrowed street width. Don’t remember when that was other than before COVID.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I remember about 15 years ago there was some chatter about a proposal to develop some kind of boardwalk along college creek. Then they discovered that it was contaminated with raw sewage so that got flushed. There is little hope for campustown.

Reactions: croelfs10

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I remember about 15 years ago there was some chatter about a proposal to develop some kind of boardwalk along college creek. Then they discovered that it was contaminated with raw sewage so that got flushed. There is little hope for campustown.
I see what you did there.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Hate to say it but if several of those were ash trees, they did not have much promise for the future.

• Agree
Reactions: Agclone91

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
Hate to say it but if several of those were ash trees, they did not have much promise for the future.
I was about to ask - do we know what type of trees they were, and if they were ash I'm guessing that's the "why"

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I thought bird droppings from all the birds roosting in them was the reason to get rid of them.