Wes Eikmeier article from Fremont Tribune

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Wes set the record for 3 pointers in Gmac's drill, 214 3's made.

tufnel

Oct 22, 2006
Competition at this level is real variable, this is high schools of less than 250 students.

this particular game was against a team 3 classes above them....they beat them by 35.
Not saying that, generally speaking, large school teams don't have better talent, but there are exceptions, and Bergan appears to be one. In this day and age, small school individual players have every opportunity to play against the best competition. I think Wes may be the 'Jake-type' player we've been missing.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Wes is a much better ballhandler and much faster then Jake.

kansascy

Apr 28, 2006
Wichita, KS
Can he graduate early and join the ISU team 2nd semester ... we could use a shooter:wink:

Beat me to it, I was thinking the same thing!

I assume that if a high school player has met graduation requirements and the necessary NCAA eligibility requirements that they could come in and play 2nd semester. I've never heard of anyone doing it, so is there some restriction or does it just not make sense from a practice and learning the system persepective?

Turn off the flame throwers, I'm not suggesting a player should do this, just my Sunday afternoon curiosity I guess!

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Beat me to it, I was thinking the same thing!

I assume that if a high school player has met graduation requirements and the necessary NCAA eligibility requirements that they could come in and play 2nd semester. I've never heard of anyone doing it, so is there some restriction or does it just not make sense from a practice and learning the system persepective?

Turn off the flame throwers, I'm not suggesting a player should do this, just my Sunday afternoon curiosity I guess!

Didn't Walker do this at K-State last year? Not that I am in favor of it.

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
We need some pure shooters

Guys who can shoot are always a plus... even if they aren't the quickest (Jake Sullivan and Jeff Hornacek come to mind)

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I think most of us probably agree with you. That being said, there's nothing wrong with being excited about a recruit. McDermott seems to be a good judge of talent, especially if you believe the comments about other programs wanting him on board.

You know, I see a typical life cycle developing here:

1) We recruit a kid and there is much excitement about him and how he could actually help us right now if we could accelerate his entry into ISU. If you question his ability we are reprimanded to "trust the coaches eye for talent".

2) The kid gets on campus and either doesn't play or plays sparingly and the talk is all about how great he will be in a couple of years when he learns the system or he gets stronger. If you question the recruiting of the kid you are chastized to "give him a chance to develop and learn the system".

3) The kid bails out of ISU. If he doesn't go to another program we hear about how great of a kid he is and how he loved ISU and the coaches but it just didn't work out. If he goes to another program we hear about how bad of a kid he is and how he didn't fit our system or how lazy he was. In either case we are then subjected to hand-wringing over player attrition and turnover. Or the more positive among us are already back to step 1 in this process with some HS kid we have signed that will be coming in next year.

I am a Cyclone fan...I hope Eikmeier is the next JJ Reddick, Dykstra is the next Larry Bird, etc.

Hey, with regard to NE HS BB, can anyone give me some names of guys that went on to be stars in DI CBB? I don't really follow NE HS BB...was Piatkowski (sp?) from NE?