West Ames water tower to be torn down

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
It's such an old-timey water-tower. Take out one of the newer ones and no one would care. Just keep it sitting there and 50 years from now people will be amazed.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's such an old-timey water-tower. Take out one of the newer ones and no one would care. Just keep it sitting there and 50 years from now people will be amazed.

Ames already has a much more historically relevant water tower:
Marston%20water%20tower%2003.jpg
30-01%20B%20Water%20Tower%20Historical%20sign.jpg

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Article said it's been out of operation for about a decade - so no.

Article said it's starting to rust and a potential eye sore in the making.

Thanks for setting us straight, geesh. I'm pretty sure the first comment was an attempt at a joke and the second one was asking why not just give it a fresh coat of paint every few years.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
This may not mean a lot to some of you who don't live in Ames, but I read this article in the Tribune today that says the water tower on North Dakota will be torn down. Definitely one of the more recognizable landmarks in Ames, and a pretty big part of Ames's "skyline".

http://amestrib.com/news/north-dakota-water-tower-come-down

I'm curious to how this is a recognizable landmark in Ames, and a big part of the Ames skyline? I would venture to guess half of the people living in Ames don't even know its there, and you cant see it from any distance unless you're right next to it.

Why tear down something historical?

This thing is about as historical as the Interstate 35 and 4-lane Highway 30...

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I see the reasons for getting rid of it but part of me says that's too bad because it seems like all water towers built in this generation are all designed the same...its kind of cool to see old ones still around

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
About 10 years ago I lived in West Ames near the intersection of North Dakota and Ontario... I don't even remember this water tower being there.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I live in Ames and I don't care. What makes this water tower more of a recognizable landmark than the other water towers? Also Ames doesn't have a sky line.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I'm curious to how this is a recognizable landmark in Ames, and a big part of the Ames skyline? I would venture to guess half of the people living in Ames don't even know its there, and you cant see it from any distance unless you're right next to it.

This thing is about as historical as the Interstate 35 and 4-lane Highway 30...

Uh oh, now you've done it. Don't mess with the northwest Ames hoodies. The people on that side of the tracks are liable to slash your tires for ripping on their water tower like that.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I live in Ames and I don't care. What makes this water tower more of a recognizable landmark than the other water towers? Also Ames doesn't have a sky line.

Go back and read the original post. Quotation marks around something are usually meant to infer that the said item is not actually true but more of a half-truth. Just fyi.