West O, Blum, and banning exile brewery from your thoughts

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I personally don't like that there are 3 beers out there for fundraising. I wish we just had 1 beer like Iowa has with their swarm. I don't want any beer taking away potential profits for WeWill.
True, but stylistically they are all different. Ames Lager will be the most widely appealing and most crushable IMO.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
They should colab a cyclone beer flight. Get a 6-pack of beer of 2 Ames lagers, 2 Trice beers, and 2 Cyclone fests.

On a serious note I need to pick up some of the WeWill coffee. I'm glad it ships out of state.
I would buy multiple cases every chance I had while back in the state. That is a genius idea! Maybe impractical but genius nonetheless.

Reactions: NetflixAndClone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I personally don't like that there are 3 beers out there for fundraising. I wish we just had 1 beer like Iowa has with their swarm. I don't want any beer taking away potential profits for WeWill.
There are other Hawkeye beers as well.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Fwiw, the owner @ West O did respond to me on the few occasions I used their contact form from their website. He's been totally transparent and receptive, so kudos to them, because I'm sure they're getting hounded by Cyclone fans.

His latest reply confirmed our fears for CF/W'loo area, but he's optimistic....
We had some trouble with our distributor over there so yes, it’s been a few years. We’re using Ames Lager as a weapon to push back in, and I will be talking with several distributors to get us back in. This won’t happen before the release on August 24, so the closest spot may be Cedar Rapids. Watch our social media for more info as we get into Fall.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Wouldn't the individual retailers be able to just request/order it from their distributor?

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Wouldn't the individual retailers be able to just request

I'm paraphrasing myself from a few pages back here, but Iowa's three-tier system for alcohol sales leaves us in current scenario:
  1. Retailers can't request directly from the brewery. They say talk to the brewery.
  2. Breweries leave it up to the distributor - they're the experts.
  3. Distributors say we just deliver what's on the truck.
In summary: the demand for a particular product has to harass all three tiers.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm paraphrasing myself from a few pages back here, but Iowa's three-tier system for alcohol sales leaves us in current scenario:
  1. Retailers can't request directly from the brewery. They say talk to the brewery.
More or less this has been what I have learned as well during the past couple of months. The guy I ran into at Happy's the other day also told me that the reason they do so much more with more nearby brewers is that their product is easier to get to. It sounds like if he can get beer from within a 100 mile or so radius of CF/W'loo, he is happy to just work directly with the brewer to either have them drop it off or them go and get it rather than mess around with the distributors.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Thanks. Thankfully at least locally here in CR Local Craft has been wonderful when requesting things and getting them in.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I haven’t seen any that the university is backing? All I see is Swarm everywhere.
I mean Hawktoberfest has been around for while, but I haven’t seen the university back them yet
I was talking about Hawktoberfest, but if you want to get technical I don't think Swarm is officially backed by the university any more than Hawktoberfest is. I saw a big Hawktoberfest display right alongside the Swarm beer at Hy-Vee today.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I was talking about Hawktoberfest, but if you want to get technical I don't think Swarm is officially backed by the university any more than Hawktoberfest is. I saw a big Hawktoberfest display right alongside the Swarm beer at Hy-Vee today.
Solid product placement, to be fair. Pretty sure at least 80% of Iowa fans think that Hawkeye Vodka benefits the UofI athletic department in some way.

• Funny
Reactions: BCClone