West Virginia Fan Needing Some Advice

dvmted

Mar 31, 2006
NW iowa
I realize you have a car, but one word of advice. Do not attempt to take a taxi in Ames. You can walk across town faster than they will come to pick you up. That is not an exaggeration.

Scarlasfly

Aug 28, 2012
St. Louis
It will be store bought. Catskin hats dont go over very well.
Will this be store bot or the result of one less family pet?:twitcy:

You'll have a great time in Ames. One of the best tailgate experiences anywhere. Looking forward to the new rivalry. Plenty of good advice from Clone fans already so welcome ahead of time and have a great trip.

Scarlasfly

Aug 28, 2012
St. Louis
Thanks. Sounds like a solid plan.
If I were choosing what to do and hadn't been in Ames before, here's what I would do assuming you're staying at Hilton Garden Inn in West Ames:

Wed night: Perfect Games is right next door. They have bowling, arcade games and a sports bar. Plenty to do for the family.

Thursday: I would probably hit up Olde Main...that is UNLESS The Cafe is open on Thanksgiving. Search Google for The Cafe and if it's open, don't miss it. After lunch, I would walk through campus. The students will be gone, so you should be able to park in any lot you want and walk around.

Thursday night: watch some football at either Wallaby's or BWW.

Friday: Do Hickory Park for lunch. It's going to be late by the time the game is over, so I don't know that you'll want to go there at 9:30 or even if they'll be open.

Friday afternoon: If you like to tailgate, grab some beer at HyVee or Cyclone Liquor on S. 4th and head to the stadium. It's going to cost you $20 to park, but it's nice to have a home base vs being a nomad. If you really don't want to tailgate that much and want to show up right before game time, I would suggest either the KMart lot shuttle or parking at the HyVee and walking (probably a mile).

Friday night: After the game, find a place that will deliver pizza to your room (Pizza Pit or Jeff's Pizza) OR, go to West Towne Pub right down from your hotel.

I personally don't get the people saying "go to Des Moines". There's plenty to do in Ames, even over a holiday weekend.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
If I were choosing what to do and hadn't been in Ames before, here's what I would do assuming you're staying at Hilton Garden Inn in West Ames:

Wed night: Perfect Games is right next door. They have bowling, arcade games and a sports bar. Plenty to do for the family.

Thursday: I would probably hit up Olde Main...that is UNLESS The Cafe is open on Thanksgiving. Search Google for The Cafe and if it's open, don't miss it. After lunch, I would walk through campus. The students will be gone, so you should be able to park in any lot you want and walk around.

Thursday night: watch some football at either Wallaby's or BWW.

Friday: Do Hickory Park for lunch. It's going to be late by the time the game is over, so I don't know that you'll want to go there at 9:30 or even if they'll be open.

Friday afternoon: If you like to tailgate, grab some beer at HyVee or Cyclone Liquor on S. 4th and head to the stadium. It's going to cost you $20 to park, but it's nice to have a home base vs being a nomad. If you really don't want to tailgate that much and want to show up right before game time, I would suggest either the KMart lot shuttle or parking at the HyVee and walking (probably a mile).

Friday night: After the game, find a place that will deliver pizza to your room (Pizza Pit or Jeff's Pizza) OR, go to West Towne Pub right down from your hotel.

I personally don't get the people saying "go to Des Moines". There's plenty to do in Ames, even over a holiday weekend.

Hell, I went to school at ISU for four years and only live 45 minutes away now and that STILL sounds like an awesome weekend to me.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
OK, for some reason I forgot that the game is at 2:30 and not 6. That would change things for Friday. You'd either want to go to Hickory Park for an early lunch or go after the game, at which point it will be crazy packed. If you are planning on going there at 6 after the game, you are going to wait an hour. Of course you could probably do it at 11am on Friday and drive directly to the lots...limits the tailgating time tho.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Thanks. Sounds like a solid plan.

Park directly EAST of the stadium in a privately owned lot (adjacent to the The Haunted Forest)
Map - Ames Haunted Forest

See map and get there a little early. You'll have to traverse over a soccer/softball field to the stadium. You will want to hit some of the tailgating spots NE of the stadium first. Some nice rigs and RV's and other friendly folks
all over

Help Support Us

Become a patron