What’s the deal with this story? (Missing UI student Mollie Tibbetts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Oh I totally think internet sleuths can find out just as much if not more from the internet than media nowadays. But the person that was saying it on the other sites wasn't getting much attention so I didn't really know if it was true or not

Can also go horribly wrong, as the Reddit thread did during the boston bombings. They 'identified' the bomber as someone who had been missing. After the fact it was found the kid had been dead for some time.

• Agree
Reactions: Ryan4069 and jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Can also go horribly wrong, as the Reddit thread did during the boston bombings. They 'identified' the bomber as someone who had been missing. After the fact it was found the kid had been dead for some time.

Agreed. I'm not saying that credible information can't come from the "internet sleuths". But you have to be careful about what you choose to believe. Which I suppose isn't all that different from old media.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Just out of curiosity, where are you seeing this?

I'd said before I just hope they find her one way or another to avoid the trafficking fears, but man it doesn't make it any less sad if they do find her and she's been killed. Just so sad.

Family members as captains and majors in IHP.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Obviously who knows how real they are but I just saw another post on FB about attempts at kids trying to be lured away somewhere.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
  • Agree
Reactions: GTO

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Not sure if that is good or bad.

Did the reports say when the fitbit pinged at that location? If it was last week then it might have just been while she was out jogging and before she was abducted. If it pinged after her disappearance then this is probably at least helpful in telling investigators where she or at least the fitbit went after she was reported missing. Not much of a lead but it's something to follow, I guess.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I didn't even need to click the link and became angry by merely seeing the words in the address.
It's WAY worse than the title. It's one of those stories that stay with you and you just can't comprehend. I saw it last year and it just botheers me every time I think about it.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Did the reports say when the fitbit pinged at that location? If it was last week then it might have just been while she was out jogging and before she was abducted. If it pinged after her disappearance then this is probably at least helpful in telling investigators where she or at least the fitbit went after she was reported missing. Not much of a lead but it's something to follow, I guess.
I think the hog farm is a 15-20 minute drive from the place she was at so she wouldn’t be running that far away

Status
Not open for further replies.