What are you drinking tonight?

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Bombay Sapphire gin and tonic, lots of fresh lime. Heavily bruised. If I'm feeling like a big shot, a couple pickled mushrooms for garnish. Repeat as often as necessary.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Creeper by CBC.

For the people coming to Ohio for the Kent State game next year, I recommend you try to get your hands on Jackie O's or CBC brews..you will not be disappointed.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Which of theirs? Love me some Velvet/Nito/anything else they make Merlin, or Parabola. Been kinda iffy on most of their IPAs.
I have to disagree with this wholeheartedly. The tough part about FW, and many other breweries, is the fact that a lot of their product sits around on shelves. Go check the dates on just about anything Surly at HyVee. I think the freshest batch of Todd the Axeman is from January. There's still Abrasive around places. However, when fresh, FW IPA's are some of the best. Wookey Jack (RIP) was the best black IPA on the market. Union Jack is awesome when it's fresh. I haven't had Fortem yet, but it's supposed to be one of the "modern" IPA's. Less bitterness, more hop flavor.

Aside from their IPA's, FW's barrel program is arguably the best barrel program in the world. They are impeccable blenders of beers. I'm secretly hoping my baby stays in the womb until after Monday so I can stop in to el Bait and snag a pour of Parabola and Velvet Merkin.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I have to disagree with this wholeheartedly. The tough part about FW, and many other breweries, is the fact that a lot of their product sits around on shelves. Go check the dates on just about anything Surly at HyVee. I think the freshest batch of Todd the Axeman is from January. There's still Abrasive around places. However, when fresh, FW IPA's are some of the best. Wookey Jack (RIP) was the best black IPA on the market. Union Jack is awesome when it's fresh. I haven't had Fortem yet, but it's supposed to be one of the "modern" IPA's. Less bitterness, more hop flavor.

Aside from their IPA's, FW's barrel program is arguably the best barrel program in the world. They are impeccable blenders of beers. I'm secretly hoping my baby stays in the womb until after Monday so I can stop in to el Bait and snag a pour of Parabola and Velvet Merkin.
Nothing wrong with that, they just might not be my thing. I've had some pretty fresh (60-90 day) and they just didn't do it for me. "Iffy" might have been a little overkill, but Union Jack, Double Jack, Easy Jack are what I would call good, but nothing that I would go out of my way for. I'd personally rather have a regular or session Stone, or Ballast Point to be honest. Sort of like DFH 60, 90, and 120. All were good, and I see the appeal to people, just not for me I guess.

Would love to try more of their barreled stuff, only had that a handful of times when skiing in Colorado. And you're right on Wookey Jack, both times I've had it I really enjoyed it. I tend to forget about black/cascade IPAs. By "RIP" I'm hoping you meant its no longer in season or that you drank all of yours right? They wouldn't stop making it would they?

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Nothing wrong with that, they just might not be my thing. I've had some pretty fresh (60-90 day) and they just didn't do it for me. "Iffy" might have been a little overkill, but Union Jack, Double Jack, Easy Jack are what I would call good, but nothing that I would go out of my way for. I'd personally rather have a regular or session Stone, or Ballast Point to be honest. Sort of like DFH 60, 90, and 120. All were good, and I see the appeal to people, just not for me I guess.

Would love to try more of their barreled stuff, only had that a handful of times when skiing in Colorado. And you're right on Wookey Jack, both times I've had it I really enjoyed it. I tend to forget about black/cascade IPAs. By "RIP" I'm hoping you meant its no longer in season or that you drank all of yours right? They wouldn't stop making it would they?
I wish Stone/Doll Distributing would send us some freaking fresh Go To IPA. I don't think we've seen it in almost 6 months. Mango Even Keel hits the spot but sometimes comes off like it's made with Jello powder. I would definitely take those over FW's session.

Wookey Jack is no longer being made. They took it out of rotation but said it could make an appearance sometime in the future. I think they may have even discontinued Double Jack. I completely forgot about their sour program too which is phenomenal. I got to try some out at Extreme Beer Fest in Boston a few years back and was blown away. Not even 10am and my mouth is watering.

Reactions: AmesHawk

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

I don't give anything 5 because I think there is always something better out there that I haven't had or hasn't been created. Out of 1,050+ I have given 6 4.75's.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I don't give anything 5 because I think there is always something better out there that I haven't had or hasn't been created. Out of 1,050+ I have given 6 4.75's.
I'm pretty lenient with things. I've tightened up a bit in the past few years.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
homebrew tonight - kinda belgiany IPA that was our first attempt at kegging with commercial kegs.

my brewing buddy worked at a small brewery in england for a few months, and they are his recipes so everything kinda gravitates to an english ale.

Help Support Us

Become a patron