What are you most afraid of?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
My parents were in their forties when I was born, so I have been orphaned since I was 39. One of my kids wasn’t even born before my parents died. So many times I have wished I could ask them for advice. Husband’s dad died year before mine, so youngest child only ever had one living grandparent, and she is kind of evil.

No matter when your parents die, it is gut wrenching. I try to pass on stories about them to my kids.

My dad's mom died when I was 9 and by the time I really started to remember stuff his dad was really starting to be affected by alzheimers and passed away a couple of months before our son was born. One nice little thing that we can say is after I was laid off and we left Wichita we lived in their house for a few months to get on on our feet here. They built the house in the 50s so since then four generations had lived in that house for at least a few months.

I was just thinking the other day how I wished they could see our son as between one of my grand fathers being an engineer and pilot and the other being a farmer I can only imagine if they still had their minds they would have loved to try answer is 18 million questions.

I remember when we brought our first kid home from the hospital I was scared to death he was going to stop breathing at night. No idea why. I think it was because they tell you all the horror stories of SIDS and it got to me.

I vividly remember being half asleep and hearing every little pin drop and jumping up and checking on him. Can't say I have ever been as scared or had any real fear greater than those first couple of weeks.

Also never had that issue with our second kid.

I have to admit that I still check on the kids before going to bed (3 years old and 7 months) as well as in the middle of the night if I wake up as a "okay they are still breathing" kind of thing.

Enjoy @cowgirl836

• Friendly
Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My dad's mom died when I was 9 and by the time I really started to remember stuff his dad was really starting to be affected by alzheimers and passed away a couple of months before our son was born. One nice little thing that we can say is after I was laid off and we left Wichita we lived in their house for a few months to get on on our feet here. They built the house in the 50s so since then four generations had lived in that house for at least a few months.

I was just thinking the other day how I wished they could see our son as between one of my grand fathers being an engineer and pilot and the other being a farmer I can only imagine if they still had their minds they would have loved to try answer is 18 million questions.

I have to admit that I still check on the kids before going to bed (3 years old and 7 months) as well as in the middle of the night if I wake up as a "okay they are still breathing" kind of thing.

Enjoy @cowgirl836

My oldest two at least remember my dad fairly well and one of them was only six when he died. They both went on their own journeys to know him better through school projects, one about the state champion basketball team on which he was the point guard, the other on his time fighting in Guadalcanal.

We didn’t have great video equipment back then. One thing I would encourage young parents to do is turn the camera away from the cute kiddos once in a while and onto the grandparents. Your kids will appreciate it one day.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Help Support Us

Become a patron