What beers should I buy?

JohnnyAppleseed

Nov 30, 2008
I grew up in Iowa, but normally when I'm travelling back it's by air. This time I'm driving back, so I'd like to pick up some local beers. I haven't lived in Iowa for a little over 4 years now and a lot has changed in the craft beer scene. I was hoping to get some advice on what beers to pick up that I can't get here in Chicago? Also, what stores will I have the best luck at?

I'm familiar with Toppling Goliath, so I'm definitely trying to find some of theirs, but any other recommendations would be great!

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
If you're going to be in the Iowa City area, John's Grocery. Most Hy-Vees also have a pretty good selection anymore.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Bring a Reefer trailer. Buy beers. A lot of beers. Pay someone to drive you home. Sit in reefer trailer and drink beers. A lot of beers.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
My favorite Exile is the Beatnik sour.

Confluence has some great beers (I most like the IPA & Black IPA), but they are only available in growlers at this point.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
What kind of brew is that? I think I have it listed on my 'to buy' but can't remember.

Workman's Compensation (Dark Mild, 4.2%)

Notes of biscuit, toffee, and chocolate meld with a silky mouthfeel to produce this world-class beer. Gold Medal at the 2014 Great American Beer Festival.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Citra at Confluence is tasty as is Blonde Fatale from Peace Tree. Too many to name, really depends on what type of beer you like. Need to narrow it down IPA's, lagers, stouts?

JohnnyAppleseed

Nov 30, 2008
I enjoy most styles, but my preference would be stouts or pale ales. I like IPA's, but they aren't my go to style. I can't get into sours, so that's not something I'm looking for.

Thanks for this tips already. I'm aware of the breweries in Iowa, just not the individual beers that are their best.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I enjoy most styles, but my preference would be stouts or pale ales. I like IPA's, but they aren't my go to style. I can't get into sours, so that's not something I'm looking for.

Thanks for this tips already. I'm aware of the breweries in Iowa, just not the individual beers that are their best.
Coco Stout by WestO is a very good dessert beer

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant

I figured you would enjoy a nice hard cider.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Backpocket is a solid brewery. Their beers aren't going to wow you but they are solid, straightforward brews in my experience. Any of their stuff is worth a six pack.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Millstream in Amana does a White Ale that is excellent (John's White Ale), and that's not a style I usually like.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron