What did you drink before the good stuff?

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Let's face it: most of us craft beer snobs starting off drinking golden **** water like everyone else before craft beer enlightened us.

What did you start out with, and what was your path to salvation?

Keystone Light and Coors Light were my go-to beers in the early days. One summer I worked at a restaurant, and a coworker and I made a list of "upscale" beers we wanted to try (Heineken, Rolling Rock, Corona, basically anything that we'd seen in the supermarket that came in a glass bottle). This got me to start drinking Amber Bock regularly, which I considered a fancy beer at the time. Occasionally I'd pick up a six-pack of something else, but this was pretty much what I drank until 6-7 years ago when I started branching out after visiting the Boulevard brewery in Kansas City. Since then, I've been hooked!

we44isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 30, 2011
Keystone Light was the go to... Box of Rocks for $7.99 at the Keg Shop! Also remembering hints of Red Dog and Icehouse.... yak.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Keystone Light was the go to... Box of Rocks for $7.99 at the Keg Shop! Also remembering hints of Red Dog and Icehouse.... yak.

I dabbled in the Red Dog and remember when Icehouse came in plastic bottles. We probably started drinking around the same time.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Ya know- it is possible to continue enjoying domestic beer as well as craft beer. High Life was my original go-to and still is. Heineken encouraged me to try German pilsners @ Hessen Haus & Amana lagers. It evolved from there. Now I'm an IPA junkie.

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
We could get kegs of natural light for $36.99 at hy-vee when I was in school. It almost ruined me.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
I still drink poor man's beer along with the good stuff. Coors Light, Yuengling, Busch Light, and Corona are all beers I drink regularly along with my better beers. I start the night generally with 3 or 4 Flying Dogs and then finish out with something poorer.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Amber Boch. Before that a lot of Killian's Red. If there's just the standard fare on tap in a bar, it would be Miller...

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Whatever was cheap. I didn't have a particular brand loyalty, but Natty Ice was always cheap, so it was frequently around.

I never went through that phase where I thought mid-range macro lagers (Bud Light, Coors Light, Mich Golden, etc) were "good" beers. I started drinking craft beers on occasion (Guinness was my first) when I could afford it, well before my 21st birthday, and my continued drinking of cheap beer was more out of necessity than preference.

I was known among my social circle as the guy who'd drink whatever was on fire sale, so this usually meant a mix of the following:
-Natty Ice/Light
-Beast Ice/Light
-Red Dog
-PBR
-Colt 45
-Olde English
-King Cobra (Bud product)
-Old Mil/Light/Low-Carb (yes, there was an Old Mil Low-Carb)

Last edited:

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Busch. But I liked good beer from the beginning. Busch was just good and cheap in college.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Well I started with the likes of Keystone Light, Natty Light and of course, Busch Light but when my enlightenment occurred I moved on to liquor, because I'm an adult.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Miller High Life in 40s, from Cub Foods for $0.79 each. Two of those beerbonged, and you could take it easy the rest of the night.

I avoided anything with the word "ice" in its' name.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I was fortunate enough to be around for the short-lived and failed Hiland Beer from Kum & Go. Awful, but it was cheap.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I drank a ******** of Hornsby's Hard Cider in college (go ahead and laugh, but it was like 6% ABV so it was a quicker buzz than cheap light beer). Lately my preferred drink of choice in order is wine, whiskey, or beer.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Hawkeye Vodka -> UV Vodka -> Busch Light -> Bud Light

I'm towards the end of my Bud Light drinking but trying to hold onto it as long as I can while paying off student loans and saving for wedding. Hoping I can get one more year out of it before I switch to something better.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron