What do we have to do..

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Lard lets the emotions get the best of him, but a lot of people do. He was pissed that he didn't get run early in the 2nd half when our entire front court was in foul trouble 2 min. in and we couldn't get a defensive rebound to save our life. Prohm is a great coach and I like him for ISU, but his early season personal decisions drive me nuts. By the end of this year, Talley and Lard will be in there with 18 minutes to play and we don't play ole defense.

His emotions are the best part of his game. Some of his best games last year were when he got emotional from major dunks and making a run. Randy needs to not call out individual performances like he did there. I’d argue that’s Gary Dolphin worthy.....

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Lard practiced during his suspension, did he not?

Practice is nothing like getting real playing time in games. The speed of the game is much higher in games.

All coaches will tell you that practice time is nothing like real game action for getting someone ready to play.

There's a reason Lard isn't starting yet, and is only getting like 10 mins. He's not ready yet. It will take a bit of time. Same for Talley.

My fear is we'll run into some of these same issues when Wigginton and Young come back too. Especially Wigginton. Can't imagine with a bum leg that you're able to keep your cardio level up, and definitely not practicing probably much at all, or at least nowhere near to full speed and effort.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Practice is nothing like getting real playing time in games. The speed of the game is much higher in games.

All coaches will tell you that practice time is nothing like real game action for getting someone ready to play.

There's a reason Lard isn't starting yet, and is only getting like 10 mins. He's not ready yet. It will take a bit of time. Same for Talley.

My fear is we'll run into some of these same issues when Wigginton and Young come back too. Especially Wigginton. Can't imagine with a bum leg that you're able to keep your cardio level up, and definitely not practicing probably much at all, or at least nowhere near to full speed and effort.

I think Wigginton is a basketball freak. We all know that guy that just never gets out of shape.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
His emotions are the best part of his game. Some of his best games last year were when he got emotional from major dunks and making a run. Randy needs to not call out individual performances like he did there. I’d argue that’s Gary Dolphin worthy.....

I was trying to say that Lard should have been in there earlier. You could tell that Lard was upset about playing time in the 2nd half when he was trying to hack everyone in sight. He should have been in there earlier, especially when we couldn't get a defensive rebound.

If he's suspended he's suspended, but if he's back let him play so he gets into a rhythm.

• Agree
Reactions: Dingus

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I wish he paid half as much attention to what's happening in the game as he does analyzing body language.

Lard's fine, he's still working his way out of the doghouse and is quite a bit behind on fitness.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

If the concern is that Lard is going to mess up chemistry that's been built up in his absence and Prohm wants to ease him in, fine. If it's that his game is rusty from not seeing game action, fine. If it's conditioning - and he's been healthy and practicing during his suspension - then I'd say it seems implausible to me that after two months of practice he can't go more than 10 minutes.

As you said, Wigginton and Young probably will be different since their training during this time has been much more limited.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
To answer the original post of what we need to do. Right now we are screwed. If we could somehow fine a guy that could score and another that can rebound after Christmas. We might be in good shape. However, where would a team find two guys like that who have not played all year. It's not like you can just magically get guys like that.

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
What do they/we "have to do now"?
Well, wiping away last night and the rebounding/effort debacle, and for the sake of discussion, here is what I think would transform this team:
FIND A THREE-POINT SHOOTER that the other team has to respect. To answer a poster above, the only one "available" now is Terrance Lewis, and yes, I know, he hasn't quite been that reliable. Although he could be. My view is that "shooters" only develop when you give them tons of shots, and they don't have to "think too much" about whether they miss.
I don't believe Lewis has been given enough opportunity to develop what was clearing his intended role as a recruit, especially when ISU' pace and offense is struggling because other guys (not to name anyone) are chucking 3's.

Yes, I'm aware that Wiggington's return will rectify some of this, but not all of this problem.
Weiller-Babb also needs to look for, and shoot more 3-point shots. Now, before the return of Wiggington, more than ever. For the last two years, WB seems to have this 'floating along/disappearing" act in games where everything else about our outside game is lacking.

Someone is going to statistic mining on me. To which I would say, "there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics." Even Prohm, in his press conference, says things like, "Well, we still scored 84, so offense was not our problem."

Um...yes it was. It's not how much you score, it's when. Each of these 15-2 and 9-0 "runs" by Iowa was fueled by, or contributed to, by bad shot selection and/or "long misses" by ISU.

For all of this talk about 4-guards and "small ball," we have been a horrendous 3-point shooting team the past two years. And yes, even "the statistics" show this.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I thought Lard played well in the second half. He had energy back. There was a point in the first half I wouldn't have cared if he walked away from the program. In particular there was one play he was in a great spot for a backside rebound but made zero effort to get the ball.

Someone got to him at halftime. They need to reward him with the ball through. The times he ran the floor he was open and we all know he has tremendous finishing ability around the hoop.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Tyler Cook was killing us and in the second half at one point Cam fronted Cook, got the steal, ran down the court pretty much wide open but we didn't pass it to him, complained a little (I would too!) but kept working and got the ball down low, dished it to THT and THT drove into the lane and turned it over.

What more do you want Cam to do?

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
To make Randy Peterson retire. The worst.

I thought Lard played pretty well in the 2nd half. Was the only guy on the team with a positive +/-

I’m sure he will ask some stupid ass question in the press conference that will cause some questioning within the team as well.

What's it say? Randy blocked me a few years ago when I made a comment that his articles often read more as softcore Cyclone erotica.

Mmbrooks

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2015
Montreal, QC
I can think of at least two times in the second half where ISU was running down in the floor in transition and Lard was sprinting to the hoop and Halliburton held the ball instead of passing down low to a relatively open Lard. Both times Lard looked frustrated that he ran his butt off for nothing.

• Winner
Reactions: Dandy and isufbcurt

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Lard looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but on a basketball court Monday night and the first half last night. Dude would just stand there and watch shots go up and make zero movement to get a board or body a guy. Just stand and watch.

But when he saw we were down 20, he brought energy. He was our only post defender not giving up easy positioning. He was actually using his body on screens instead of lazily standing there.

If Lard can learn to be a 16-20 minute guy this year and just go balls to the wall during that time and get a nice break, we’re set up fine. But for whatever reason, just like last year, he only plays with that attitude when he feels like it.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I can think of at least two times in the second half where ISU was running down in the floor in transition and Lard was sprinting to the hoop and Halliburton held the ball instead of passing down low to a relatively open Lard. Both times Lard looked frustrated that he ran his butt off for nothing.

THT and Halliburton both did a poor job last night finding the open man.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman