What if Minny beats Iowa....

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Minnesota won't beat Iowa....they are in a free fall.

I expect this to be a competitive game. Even with the letdown the past 2 weeks, Minnesota is improved over last season when they played a tough game in Iowa City.

Indyclone

Jan 24, 2008
If Minnesota wins, their fans should drive down to Iowa City and tear down the goalposts.

Stay classy, hawkeyes.

Dude that was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in college football.

So it's ok to tear them down at home but not classy tearing down the opposing teams. Sorry but that is some great smack and I give them props for what they did.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Minnesota is the most overrated team in college football.

8/30 Northern Illinois 1-0 (0-0) W 31-27
9/06 @ Bowling Green 2-0 (0-0) W 42-17
9/13 Montana State 3-0 (0-0) W 35-23
9/20 Florida Atlantic 4-0 (0-0) W 37-3
9/27 @ No. 14 Ohio State 4-1 (0-1) L 34-21
10/04 Indiana 5-1 (1-1) W 16-7
10/11 @ Illinois 6-1 (2-1) W 27-20
10/25 @ Purdue 7-1 (3-1) W 17-6
11/01 Northwestern 7-2 (3-2) L 24-17
11/08 Michigan 7-3 (3-3) L 29-6
11/15 @ Wisconsin 7-4 (3-4) L 35-32

Nothing impressive there. Iowa will roll Minny.

Last edited:

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
If Minnesota wins, their fans should drive down to Iowa City and tear down the goalposts.

Stay classy, hawkeyes.

2002-11-17-inside-fans.jpg

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Minnesota is the most overrated team in college football.

8/30 Northern Illinois 1-0 (0-0) W 31-27
9/06 @ Bowling Green 2-0 (0-0) W 42-17
9/13 Montana State 3-0 (0-0) W 35-23
9/20 Florida Atlantic 4-0 (0-0) W 37-3
9/27 @ No. 14 Ohio State 4-1 (0-1) L 34-21
10/04 Indiana 5-1 (1-1) W 16-7
10/11 @ Illinois 6-1 (2-1) W 27-20
10/25 @ Purdue 7-1 (3-1) W 17-6
11/01 Northwestern 7-2 (3-2) L 24-17
11/08 Michigan 7-3 (3-3) L 29-6
11/15 @ Wisconsin 7-4 (3-4) L 35-32

Nothing impressive there. Iowa will roll Minny.

I have to agree. Iowa will roll.:no::confused::no::confused:

balken

Apr 14, 2006
""""""""""Most Iowa fans I know are nervous about the Minnesota game. I'll be surprised if they lose to the Gophers.""""""""""""

They should be nervous; Iowa has to be one of the top 10 most inconsistent teams in the country over the last 3 plus years. They have still had talent as evidenced by the amount of kids that still find their way into the NFL, yet they have lost games while leading, lost games they never showed up for, slept walk through a couple and just fumbled away several more. They aren’t a lock to beat anyone.

With that said, they should match up well with Minne. The Gophers run game disappeared with injuries so Iowa shouldn’t have to do anything out of the norm to stop their run game therefore letting them game plan for Weber and Decker and with their speed on D and their improved D-back play they should be ok. But again, it all depends on TO’s, consistency and controlling the ball. Minne is certainly capable of winning!

As for the Bowl game comments, that is really sour grapes and depends on which side of the fence you are on. I remember perusing the cyclone report back then before it became “bad” and I chuckled at all the people suggesting they were betting their houses, as it was a lock. (bias will wreck you in a hurry) I chuckled because I had a pretty good feeling that a team that vastly underachieved would show up for a bowl game and give UT all they could handle and they did. The Florida game ironically enough was the season where all this up & down from game to game, honestly quarter to quarter crap stated. If I were a gambler I’d never beat on Iowa. You honestly never know from game to game which team will show up. The one that turned it over 5 times and lost to NW or the one that turned it over twice to PSU and still won.

As for the thread topic I’ll agree from the perspective of an opposing fan it would be frustrating, but that is the spoils of being Iowa. We have become known nationally as a solid, competitive team from year to year with a maniacal fan base. One that has money and travels well. The team for their part typically doesn’t embarrass their fans enough in those games to make them want to reign in their enthusiasm and more importantly their pocket books.

I say that all serif fonts should be banned from CF. Eye strain is not a good thing. Who's with me?

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I hope Minne absolutely destroys EIU. About the only benefit I can see to them winning is them finding out what it's like to play a team in a real conference instead of playing the likes of mediocre JUCO teams in the Little 11.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
I say that all serif fonts should be banned from CF. Eye strain is not a good thing. Who's with me?

Honestly just call me be a technological idiot because I certainly wasn’t doing that on purpose and I apologize. As for the gentleman hoping for Iowa too have a bad showing against an out of conference team. That is a sentiment that has been hoped and prayed for a number of times by the fans of an enemy only to be unfounded come the time of fruition. For Iowa in particular, as I have seen many an ISU fan in the past postulate how the SEC or Big 12 would roll them. Everyone has a chance & Iowa typically comes to play in the Bowl season. At least since KF took the reigns. Seriously I’m not trying to be mean spirited just pointing out what people hope for often doesn’t happen. If you play good D you usually have a chance. Iowa needs to get past this next game before they even start to worry about a bowl game. Minne will play very tough up there.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Asif you didn't know that there is an "instate rivals" section?:huh:

I know but it gets old. We hear Iowa junk all the time, then come to a place that is for Cyclone fans and there still is Iowa junk. I really do think some ISU fans are more worried about what Iowa is doing than what ISU is doing. I doubt they post much on ISU on their boards.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
The only bowls in recent history that many thought Iowa probably didn't deserve to go to were the Outback Bowl against Florida in 2005 and the Alamo Bowl against Texas in 2006. Come to find out they did deserve to be there, as they took both down to the wire and were one penalty away from blowing Texas out. Remember that TD that was wiped away after the ticky tack penalty? Would've made the score 28-7. Instead, Tate threw an INT the very next play, and the rest is history.

Wrong, the TD pass to Chandler would have made it 21-0, not 28-7. Tate did throw an interception on the next play, and Texas drove it 80 yards to cut it to 14-7.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
TE was not an eligible receiver and he caught a TD if I remember right. Just like the Hawks to try cheating. I would say bowl games usually favor the weaker team, outside of the BCS. Depth is not as much of an issue, because most teams get a chance to heal up. Coaches have a lot more time to prepare, having weeks to get ready, not a week. Underdogs have more to play for and feel slighted, the better team thinks it deserved a better game. I would guess most teams that get slighted by the BCS end up losing.

Iowa may have been in those games mentioned above, that does not necessarily mean they were as good. I would bet that both UT and FLA thought they deserved a better bowl and didn't really care too much about playing Iowa.

Please - if Chandler lines up 6 inches to his left, thats not a penalty. The call was illegal formation for only having 6 on the line. Ticky tack? Yes? Was it a penalty? Yes.

A few things I remember from that game are that it was the first time Iowa scored on it's opening drive the entire season, the Chandler penalty, Andy Brodell lighting up the Texas secondary, and that stupid-*** reverse that O-Keefe called with 3:30 to go with the ball at midfield having all 3 timeouts and only needing a field goal.

Last edited:

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
Wrong, the TD pass to Chandler would have made it 21-0, not 28-7. Tate did throw an interception on the next play, and Texas drove it 80 yards to cut it to 14-7.
If we're striving for accuracy here, it was actually 14-3 Iowa when the penalty was called on Chandler. The touchdown that was wiped off the board would have made it 21-3, and instead the Texas touchdown drive cut Iowa's halftime lead to 14-10. Other than that, TarHeelHawk, your description of the events is right on. :yes:

egunzy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 16, 2008
Humeston, IA
Please - if Chandler lines up 6 inches to his left, thats not a penalty. The call was illegal formation for only having 6 on the line. Ticky tack? Yes? Was it a penalty? Yes.

So, was it a ticky-tack penalty b/c the call went against Iowa? That;s what I hear. Either it is or it is not a penalty. The fact that you don't like it doesn't mitigate it. Once again I will say that penalty is called weekly in both the NFL and CFB.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
So, was it a ticky-tack penalty b/c the call went against Iowa? That;s what I hear. Either it is or it is not a penalty. The fact that you don't like it doesn't mitigate it. Once again I will say that penalty is called weekly in both the NFL and CFB.

I was responding to someone else claiming that Iowa was trying to cheat, not that it wasn't a penalty.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

Ummm..... I hate to say this, but ISU fans shouldn't be calling out Iowa fans for complaining about a penalty. Read through ANY game thread for football this year or basketball last year, and I guarantee you will find at least 3 posts of people saying "ISU always gets screwed over by the reffs."

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
If we're striving for accuracy here, it was actually 14-3 Iowa when the penalty was called on Chandler. The touchdown that was wiped off the board would have made it 21-3, and instead the Texas touchdown drive cut Iowa's halftime lead to 14-10. Other than that, TarHeelHawk, your description of the events is right on. :yes:

Forgot about the field goal. Either way, it was a huge momentum shift. I also remember now that Schlicher missed a field goal as well...and Iowa lost by 2. Sigh.

Reactions: BvK1126