What Iowa State players have a chance of being drafted in the next few years?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I would be shocked if Freyler got drafted. His style doesn’t really fit in the current way the NFL game is played.

Maybe he is a better cover safety than I’m giving him credit for but I haven’t been super impressed when he has to be in coverage.
Freyler gets torched sometimes, but makes up for it in the run game. Not something that translates to the NFL well.

Reactions: CloneLawman

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Call me crazy but I would not be shocked if Stevo gets a camp invite and makes a roster.

Reactions: bozclone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I suppose this helps but ISU has also had lots of guys get drafted despite being overall pretty average over the past decade+.
You mean they had a pretty average college career at ISU and got drafted anyways? Sorry, just not sure I understand what you are getting at.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I suppose this helps but ISU has also had lots of guys get drafted despite being overall pretty average over the past decade+.

It definitely helps. There are some guys that get drafted at the end of the draft that have no business getting drafted over others. The reason, a lot of times, they do is because of where they played college.

I believe 86 of the 257 picks made were from the CFP committee final ranking top 10.

Obviously those teams are going to have good players on them, but if a NFL team is going to select a fringe player, they are more than likely going to select them from a team that was good as opposed to a team that was average.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You mean they had a pretty average college career at ISU and got drafted anyways? Sorry, just not sure I understand what you are getting at.

ISU has been pretty average and still had guys getting drafted in the early rounds.

'Lots' isn't correct but it's been more frequent.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It definitely helps. There are some guys that get drafted at the end of the draft that have no business getting drafted over others. The reason, a lot of times, they do is because of where they played college.

I believe 86 of the 257 picks made were from the CFP committee final ranking top 10.

Obviously those teams are going to have good players on them, but if a NFL team is going to select a fringe player, they are more than likely going to select them from a team that was good as opposed to a team that was average.

Your last part is basically the same thing.
Since ISU has been average, they have less players get drafted than good teams because they have less good players.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Your last part is basically the same thing.
Since ISU has been average, they have less players get drafted than good teams because they have less good players.

Sort of. My point was, if Alabama and Iowa State had a player that had identical stats and tested exactly the same at pro days/combines, the Alabama player would almost certainly get drafted sooner, probably a full round or two, and that is only because they played for Alabama. The players aren’t necessarily better, but the perception of the player is skewed significantly based on the college they played for.

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Our secondary and WR room have a few potential UDFA’s, doubt any of them actually get drafted. Brahmer and Sama would be my best guess down the road.

CycloneT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 14, 2017
Don’t see Freyler getting drafted at this point. He won’t pass the physicals due to the shoulder injuries. He’ll definitely be an UDFA though

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Since elite running backs are no longer 1st/2nd round picks that often...doesn't an inverse have to be true that teams would take a lot of late round picks and stock up on gifted running backs hoping they catch lightning in a bottle? I mean it's an important position and every team needs a lot, I'd think if the goal is to not pay them much because they get hurt the ideal thing would be load up on late draft picks hoping you catch a decent one every year or two.

Admitted NFL draft moron here.