What Iowa State players have a chance of being drafted in the next few years?

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
RAS is a solid predictive measure for certain positions. I believe it impacts TE, OL, and RB primarily. I’d actually say more GMs (at least the savvy ones) are now looking at in-game speed measured by MPH rather than a 40 yard dash or other combine drills.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
So when you look at what players will get drafted high. Start with, what players will likely have a high RAS score, then look at premium positions (QB, OT, Edge, CB) as those positions will get drafted higher early
I mean, look at Will McDonald last year. Or Breece the year before. It was no wonder they had excellent draft stock. Breece only wasn’t a first rounder due to the position.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
I hope I'm wrong, but I fully expect our 4-year draft streak to come to an end in 2025. I'm just not as high on Noel as a lot of others are. Again, I hope I'm wrong.
I mean that would mean Noel, Higgins, Freyler all go undrafted. And all of Onyedim, Orange, Cooper and Verdon either don’t declare or go undrafted.

I don’t see that being likely. Someone gets drafted next year.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
I feel like combine numbers will be a strength for him. His size/speed combo is freakish. Where he’ll get hurt is his coverage film and then injury history. But I kind of feel like some team is going to put 10 lbs on him and turn him into a LB.
With Freyler, I think people place parallels between him and Eisworth.

Freyler could wind up having limitations at the next level, but I don’t think this is an Eisworth situation where he simply has no shot. Freyler is way more athletically gifted. Eisworth had some major limits there.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
I thought the OL transfer from Princeton that gets here this summer is draft prospect (Travis?)

To early to tell on that. at 6'9 315, generally that's not an ideal tackle height. I'd have to see him play at the P5 level and evaluate from there. See how he moves, see his PFF grades, As a tackle, the pass pro is far more important than run blocking

• Disagree

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Just a question for people who might be more in the know: Does J. Kohl have any chance developing into a decent QB with an outside shot of playing professionally?

CyinLimbo

Apr 11, 2024
Chicago area
Some of the mock drafts have initial 2025 projections (guesses) out. PFN (Pro Football Network) has quite a few Cyclones mentioned. The number is their overall rank - not positional.

Tyler Onyedim - DT - 30
Jeremiah Cooper - S - 88
Jaylin Noel - WR - 118
Jayden Higgins - WR - 124
Malik Verdon - S - 141
Myles Purchase - CB - 151
Jalen Travis - OT - 215 (still lists him as Princeton)

Cyghhh

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 18, 2022
Linebacker
I'm actually surprised Freyler hasn't been moved to LB for us...his body has almost grown out of a safety's. He's the 2nd heaviest db on the team and that's because Verdon has 2 inches on him.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I'm actually surprised Freyler hasn't been moved to LB for us...his body has almost grown out of a safety's. He's the 2nd heaviest db on the team and that's because Verdon has 2 inches on him.
I would think Freyler’s position in the NFL would be LB. He has the size. Speed would be the question.

• Agree

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
I would think Freyler’s position in the NFL would be LB. He has the size. Speed would be the question.
I was just thinking about this again. I wonder if Freyler’s best move in order to make it at the next level is to move to LB.

His speed is decent, but may not be enough to play safety at the next level. A guy like Eisworth’s issue was that he had even less speed, and was way too small to make that move.

I do think his skillset could translate over to LB. He already plays a hybrid type of role in our defense that could translate.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
With Freyler, I think people place parallels between him and Eisworth.

Freyler could wind up having limitations at the next level, but I don’t think this is an Eisworth situation where he simply has no shot. Freyler is way more athletically gifted. Eisworth had some major limits there.
I'm not sure Beau is fast enough for the NFL. He could probably play linebacker though.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
To early to tell on that. at 6'9 315, generally that's not an ideal tackle height. I'd have to see him play at the P5 level and evaluate from there. See how he moves, see his PFF grades, As a tackle, the pass pro is far more important than run blocking
Jonathan Ogden probably the greatest Tackle and maybe just greatest offensive lineman of all time says differently. Doesn't mean that this kid is that good but I think having a long frame and arms is a huge advantage on the edge.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Johnathan Ogden is the best Tackle i've ever seen. He is the exception at 6'8. That's why I said generally it's not a good size. Most guys at that size don't move well enough to be a good tackle. They do generally have longer arms and that helps. Scouts love long arms and long hands for tackles.
Jonathan Ogden probably the greatest Tackle and maybe just greatest offensive lineman of all time says differently. Doesn't mean that this kid is that good but I think having a long frame and arms is a huge advantage on the edge.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I was just thinking about this again. I wonder if Freyler’s best move in order to make it at the next level is to move to LB.

His speed is decent, but may not be enough to play safety at the next level. A guy like Eisworth’s issue was that he had even less speed, and was way too small to make that move.

I do think his skillset could translate over to LB. He already plays a hybrid type of role in our defense that could translate.
I think he would be a great linebacker. I know he is great as a safety in our defense, but we also have more depth and experience at safety on our team than at linebacker. I doubt it happens, but I could see several reasons why the switch would be good for Beau and for the team.

Reactions: FeedBreece

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
I think he would be a great linebacker. I know he is great as a safety in our defense, but we also have more depth and experience at safety on our team than at linebacker. I doubt it happens, but I could see several reasons why the switch would be good for Beau and for the team.
I think it’s similar with Anthony Johnson moving to safety. He didn’t have an NFL future at CB, but the position switch gave him a future.

I worry Beau doesn’t have a future as an NFL safety, but I could see him fitting the mold of a modern NFL LB. You’d be amazed how many LB’s play in the 220 weight range now.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Johnathan Ogden is the best Tackle i've ever seen. He is the exception at 6'8. That's why I said generally it's not a good size. Most guys at that size don't move well enough to be a good tackle. They do generally have longer arms and that helps. Scouts love long arms and long hands for tackles.
I don’t think being too tall in itself is a negative for that position. I think you’re not realizing just how rare 6’9 330 pounds humans are in general.

There’s not many in the league because not many of these people exist in general.

Reactions: Gibbon

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron