What is the oldest item you use on a regular basis?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Last time I was at a tailgate a guest commented on the crock pot I had the sauerkraut in for brats. "My Mom had one that years ago," they noted. This hit me about something that I never had thought of...that crockpot was a wedding gift in 1982! It is in excellent shape, and works fine, though the nob can fall off. It was made by West Bend and is now a tradition and a "go-to" for making stew, slow cook roasts, and BBQ, and it is over 40 years old!

I have very old rings, watches, china, and furniture which are sort of in use but the crock pot above is one I use without thought regularly. What do you have that you find reliable and useful that comes in use maybe daily, weekly, or monthly or so that is the oldest thing in your possession?

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I see your 1984 crockpot and raise you with my 75 year old Toastmaster toaster. An aunt and uncle gave it to my parents as a wedding gift in 1948. It's an heirloom! Was sent off to college with me and I've had it ever since. Last used at breakfast this morning.

toaster cf scale.jpg

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
il_fullxfull.3713181170_t5mc.jpg

Frog

May 6, 2021
a Wusthof boning knife that came with my ancestors from Switzerland in 1800's passed down to me. The knife was used on a lot of livestock. I remember cutting up and quick boning ruptures for sausage when we raised feeder pigs if we found them quick enough. I still use it to clean catfish and when we pick up meat from the locker each winter as like to package and grind our own burger.
I can only imagine how wide the blade originally was. It is pretty skinny from years of sharpening which makes it good on fish. I wasn't going to use it but my GP said it is a disgrace to our ancestor's not to as they spent so much money on the new set bringing it to USA.

Last edited: