What is this animal?

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Okay, I know I risk making myself out to be ignorant, but I honestly don't know what this creature is. It was chewing on our doormat at our front door, and I thought it was a cat until it sat up on its hind legs and looked inside at me. Cute little fella, I just don't know where it came from or what it is. :wink:

EDIT: By the way, I live somewhat close to the Raccoon River and about a mile out from downtown. Perhaps it's some water-dwelling animal I don't have a familiarity with?

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
This reminded me of an incident reported to the police and published in the Ames Tribune:

July 26: City workers were held at bay by what appeared to be a rabid woodchuck at South 16th Street and Apple Place. The woodchuck, according to police reports, would not let the workers get back into their trucks near the BMX bike park. The woodchuck reportedly fled the scene, and police were unable to locate it.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Yep you got a woodchuck problem. A 22 will take care of it. If you are animal friendly get a live trap and bait it with cat food and set it loose in the country.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Yep you got a woodchuck problem. A 22 will take care of it. If you are animal friendly get a live trap and bait it with cat food and set it loose in the country.

Everyone in the city wants to spread their problems to the country folk.:wink:

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
ahhhh yes...know these little bad boys (and girls) well. Luckily I don't have them (more armadillos than anything else which are no less a pain) but there's a place I drive by every day and almost always see these guys 'hanging out'.

AllBig12Drinker

Dec 7, 2009
West Des Moines
Had one a couple summers ago burrowing underneath my patio. As suggested, a 22 will handle the issue. I popped the one in my yard with a high powered bb gun. Didn't get him immediately but the lead pellets got to him.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
We had one of those in our backyard, until it made the mistake of straying too far from cover while our dogs were outside.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
We had one of those in our backyard, until it made the mistake of straying too far from cover while our dogs were outside.

Haha. Yeah my Grandma's Norwegian Elk Hound really loved groundhogs, she was a woodchuck chewin machine, would constantly go for a run and come back with a groundhog.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron