What kind of coach wins at ISU?

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
My opinion is we need a coach who is a proven recruiter. Give him the keys and money to hire good assistants. CPR had Chiz's recruits the first few years where he had more success.

I do think these JUCO's can make a difference. They have completely changed our D from last year. Seems that strategy can be successful but probably too little too late for CPR.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
None. I am 41 and have seen some little success. However no coach has proven that they can win at iowa state. Ever. Not eve pop warner.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is the multi-million dollar question, isn't it. Who can we get that can win at ISU? I don't know.

I've seen us lose games in so many unimaginable ways now, I wonder if we're just cursed?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't see any coach ever having the kind of success we would like. The best we can hope for is someone who can win 6-7 games a year. sorry but that's just the way it is.

I think you're right, but I'd take 6 or 7 wins a year versus the 2 or 3 we're getting now.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I don't see any coach ever having the kind of success we would like. The best we can hope for is someone who can win 6-7 games a year. sorry but that's just the way it is.

I think that's the kind of success most of us would love right now. A coach that finishes between 6-7 and 8-5 pretty much every year with maybe a 5-7 or 4-8 tossed in there once every 5 years.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
My opinion is we need a coach who is a proven recruiter. Give him the keys and money to hire good assistants. CPR had Chiz's recruits the first few years where he had more success.

I do think these JUCO's can make a difference. They have completely changed our D from last year. Seems that strategy can be successful but probably too little too late for CPR.

Have a plan. Rhoads has been all over the place in the past few years. Why did it take him six effing years to figure out he needed to recruit JUCOs? Why do we only go one deep on the O Line seven years into his tenure? Develop players. Copy what others have done in our situation (study everything Snyder does). Be in control and manage the game well. That sequence on the last drive tonight (inopportune time out, not centering the ball) was embarrasing. Hire the right people and trust them.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I think that's the kind of success most of us would love right now. A coach that finishes between 6-7 and 8-5 pretty much every year with maybe a 5-7 or 4-8 tossed in there once every 5 years.

Sign me up for that right now. It's a vast improvement.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
It can be done. Baylor was garbage until Briles. KSU was garbage until Snyder. Iowa was garbage until Fry. Things can change. It just takes the right guy at the right time. I wish I had the answer of who it is out there.

On a less serious note I've always wondered what a Les Miles or Nick Saban could do in Ames. I've never bought into the idea you can't win in Ames or recruit to Ames or it's too cold (teams win at places much colder than Ames.) I also don't believe a Manhattan, KS or Iowa City are much more appealing (in some ways they're less appealing) than recruiting/working at Iowa State.

I know those coaching legends would never come to ISU, but it would be fun to tell off the people who say "NO ONE CAN WIN AND NO ONE EVER WILL WIN AT IOWA STATE IN FOOTBALL." Someone can. Someone will.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Uhhhh Dan had 7 and 8 win seasons. And a few mistakes away from a 10 win season. Winning is possible at ISU. You just need a players coach. And a harley loving 50+ year man who is stubborn enough to play his own music in games isnt going to connect with 18 year old texas and florida kids. We need a young guy who can recruit and isnt afraid to try new things and step outside of the box. If Bill Snyder can win in Manhattan, it is possible to win here.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
I think ball contol offense like ksu and ndsu is the only system that can work at isu and those are nearly impossible to execute. It takes a really smart coach. We have a good coach but he is not super intelligent; he is of average intelligience to the rest of the populace. I can already see rhoads is panicking and trying to setup lanning to be his colin klein and save his butt. Unfotunately too little too late.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

This is such ********. Many coaches would have been able to spin Iowa State from 2009-2011 positively on the recruiting trail and gotten some decent talent in here. We'd gone to bowl games 2/3 years, pulled of some big upsets, and had a coach who just signed a long term deal...that should have been gold on the recruiting trail, and a lot of coaches would have taken advantage of it. Unfortunately, we got stuck with a dud whose incompetence led us to **** that all away.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
I think ball contol offense like ksu and ndsu is the only system that can work at isu and those are nearly impossible to execute. It takes a really smart coach. We have a good coach but he is not super intelligent; he is of average intelligience to the rest of the populace. I can already see rhoads is panicking and trying to setup lanning to be his colin klein and save his butt. Unfotunately too little too late.

Actually, CPR is a very intelligent person. I believe he was valedictorian? This is why it confuses me when he seems to make bonehead decisions during the game.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
With that logic, my wife should be out there coaching.

This was a response to someone who was claiming CPR wasn't intelligent. Not a claim that he is smart thus he should be a good coach.

"We have a good coach but he is not super intelligent; he is of average intelligience to the rest of the populace."

FreeBorn

Jul 3, 2014
[h=2]"What kind of coach wins at ISU?"[/h]None that would ever come to Ames. It's time to admit the reality that we'll never be good in football.

Reactions: CyBobby