What music are you listening to right now?

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Just recently discovered Mountain Faith band. I'm pretty persnickety when it comes to bluegrass, but I like these guys.

ISUCHIEF

Feb 4, 2008
CB
I've mostly been listening to Gary Clark Jr lately... been in a blues and guitar kick lately. I've even gotten into some older blues as well. Also just got Alice In Chains MTV unplugged on vinyl and am really liking that.

A new band I have been listening to is Greta Van Fleet. They are pretty good and I'm probably going to go see them in Omaha in December. They will probably remind you of a certain greatest band ever.

I still need to check out the new QOTSA, most reviews from people I know are positive.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm probably one of the few people on CF that like country music about as much as CW does I bet. One song I can't get enough of this summer since it came out is from Big & Rich's upcoming new album due out next month:

I remember when these guys first came out and people were saying "that ain't country!" but this song is more country sounding than about anything I hear on the mainstream country radio stations these days which sounds more like pop music than country to me anymore. Can't even stand to watch the country music award shows or the CMA fest special anymore without watching them on DVR so I can skip past over half of the performances that I have no interest in hearing.

If you happen to see this CW: I caught the segment you did on Murph & Andy this summer where you did your real/bro/douche country segment and was actually shocked you classified Big & Rich as real country but completely agree with your reasoning why which is why they have always been one of my favorites. The 2 of them probably have more hits as song writers that other country artists recorded than the music they record themselves that I think sometimes goes overlooked. For instance the song I linked above, Tim McGraw actually recorded it first and he explains the story behind that happened here: I heard another interview this year when the Big & Rich single was released and Big Kenny said that John was really torn about letting Tim record it but didn't want to wait 2 or 3 years for B&R so he let him have it. Well Tim's "Humble and Kind" song blew up and got a ton of play and Tim never got around to releasing "California" as a single off that album so they came back to the song with Tim's blessing that they would record it as their first single on their new album since John did write the song after all. It's kind of cool to hear the stories behind some songs, there are all kinds of examples where someone recorded the same song and 1 version of it turned out to be a bigger success than the other did just because of who sang it and the arrangement they chose for it.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
I've been listening to a lot of Punch Brothers and I'm With Her -related stuff lately (it's a big interrelated musical family tree there, between those two supergroups). Last three songs tonight:

Goddamn Poe Dameron can play!

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I'm probably one of the few people on CF that like country music about as much as CW does I bet. One song I can't get enough of this summer since it came out is from Big & Rich's upcoming new album

I remember when these guys first came out and people were saying "that ain't country!" but this song is more country sounding than about anything I hear on the mainstream country radio stations these days which sounds more like pop music than country to me anymore. Can't even stand to watch the country music award shows or the CMA fest special anymore without watching them on DVR so I can skip past over half of the performances that I have no interest in hearing.

If you happen to see this CW: I caught the segment you did on Murph & Andy this summer where you did your real/bro/douche country segment and was actually shocked you classified Big & Rich as real country but completely agree with your reasoning why which is why they have always been one of my favorites. The 2 of them probably have more hits as song writers that other country artists recorded than the music they record themselves that I think sometimes goes overlooked. For instance the song I linked above, Tim McGraw actually recorded it first and he explains the story behind that happened here:
I heard another interview this year when the Big & Rich single was released and Big Kenny said that John was really torn about letting Tim record it but didn't want to wait 2 or 3 years for B&R so he let him have it. Well Tim's "Humble and Kind" song blew up and got a ton of play and Tim never got around to releasing "California" as a single off that album so they came back to the song with Tim's blessing that they would record it as their first single on their new album since John did write the song after all. It's kind of cool to hear the stories behind some songs, there are all kinds of examples where someone recorded the same song and 1 version of it turned out to be a bigger success than the other did just because of who sang it and the arrangement they chose for it.

TL;DR but I saw Tim McGraw and Big and Rich which epitomize douche country. Sorry man. If you're looking for new country:
This ones a spot with me and my son. ZBB is by far the best newer country artist out there. Listen to Pass the Jar and prove me wrong.

Also a couple other ones:

Also Eric Church - Chief as of late:

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I like ZBB and Church too, I just not a fan of this newer pop music sounding stuff getting a lot of radio play. Chris Stapleton is starting to grow on me too.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
I have 'Sweet Caroline' playing on continuous loop. It's football season, after all!

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Pretty much all of August I have been listening to Tyler Childers' Purgatory album. Came out on the 4th, and I haven't really stopped playing it all month. He's a young guy with a bluegrass/country sound. Sturgill Simpson produced the album. Childers has a very unique voice, but it grew on me pretty quickly. Album's pretty awesome if you like this kind of sound.

Reactions: sschrag03