What recruits

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
would you like to see in a cyclone uniform in the next couple years?

High School - Iowa - Gabe Moreno, Cory Clark, Meeks
Out of State - Tsirtsis, Cisnero (same school as Pena)
Liberatore (Same school as Cozart)
JUCO - Perkins from Ellsworth

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

Pretty nice list. Is Tsirtis being recruited by Iowa? He would be hard to pull. ISU really needs to recruit out west, and hit California hard. They produce some good upper weight wrestlers. Where is MacIntosh going to wrestle next year?

What is the situation with Tanner Weatherman? I am hoping he will come to ISU, but his brothers performances can't be encouraging him on the development end.

Last edited:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Pretty nice list. Is Tsirtis being recruited by Iowa? He would be hard to pull. ISU really needs to recruit out west, and hit California hard. They produce some good upper weight wrestlers. Where is MacIntosh going to wrestle next year?

Morgan MacIntosh is headed to workout with Cael & Varner. (Can't blame him.)
Tsirtsis would require a full ride; thought the brother had some issues with Iowa, not sure how many years he wrestled varsity. (similiar to Moore's at Iowa now).
Not sure though

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Since you are more in the know than me, what has happenned to Nik Pena this year? He has been falling down the HS ratings all year. He was supposed to be a quality lower weight for us going forward, but he is about ready to get passed by some Iowa kids in the ratings.

A second concern I have is that Jackson's staff has not shown the ability to get the top prospects at various weights to come. This is something Cael did often. And while Cael never seemed to maximize his talent to quickly at ISU, Jackson's staff has not been able to do anything with our lower weights. We really needed to keep Bono IMO. We do not seem to be making progress at any weight lower than 157 this year, and that is not good. We do not have the best wrestler's in the country coming our way anymore, and with Cael at PSU we won't for the foreseeable future. We need to make our wrestlers better, and I don't see it.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Since you are more in the know than me, what has happenned to Nik Pena this year? He has been falling down the HS ratings all year. He was supposed to be a quality lower weight for us going forward, but he is about ready to get passed by some Iowa kids in the ratings.

A second concern I have is that Jackson's staff has not shown the ability to get the top prospects at various weights to come. This is something Cael did often. And while Cael never seemed to maximize his talent to quickly at ISU, Jackson's staff has not been able to do anything with our lower weights. We really needed to keep Bono IMO. We do not seem to be making progress at any weight lower than 157 this year, and that is not good. We do not have the best wrestler's in the country coming our way anymore, and with Cael at PSU we won't for the foreseeable future. We need to make our wrestlers better, and I don't see it.
Cael is fantastic at recruiting (Mainly name - undefeated 4 time NCAA Champion and Olympic Gold medalist) Easier to develop the #1 recruit in the nation (David Taylor) than Jones (125# for Cyclones, 4th in 3A as a Senior) I think KJ will start filling the lower weight holes, but will take time. Finch (True Freshman), will be our 125 pounder next year is the real deal. Pena lost a couple matches at big tourneys early in the season to guys ranked (but below him). Sometime they wrestle up a weight for competition, not sure if that's the case. We do need to keep going after the potential 3X AA not the develop into a 1X AA by the time they're Seniors. KJ incoming class was Weatherman and lost the #1 recruiting class in our seniors in addition to Long. PATIENCE IS A B!tch, but that's what we need.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa

Here a look at our depth next year.

Next year lineup and depth
125 - Finch, Hunter, Jones
133 - Cash
141 - Goettl
149 - Mayfield, Cozart
157 - Weatherman
165 - Sorenson
174 - Spangler, Moreno, England
184 - Gadsen, Shafer, Riley, Christensen
197 - Ward, Hawes, Voelker
Hwt - Simonson, Gibson, Tennant

Still no backups for lower weights other than 125

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Tanner Weatherman has already given a verbal to KJ according to Intermat.
That is good news. It will take the ISU lagacy families to get this program back on track.

I still really think we need to bring in someone else to work with the lower weights. The transition to KJ was terrible for ISU, not just because we lost some recruiting time in a year, but Cael's old recruiting classes basically all packed up with him. My fear is that the program is set back almost 5 years right now, and if we struggle in Big 12 matches, we may have a hard time recovering.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Here a look at our depth next year.

Next year lineup and depth
125 - Finch, Hunter, Jones
133 - Cash
141 - Goettl
149 - Mayfield, Cozart
157 - Weatherman
165 - Sorenson
174 - Spangler, Moreno, England
184 - Gadsen, Shafer, Riley, Christensen
197 - Ward, Hawes, Voelker
Hwt - Simonson, Gibson, Tennant

Still no backups for lower weights other than 125

Moreno is at 165 now. Is he too big to make the move to 157? I would think him shifting down and Weatherman, who looks like a small 157, moving to 149 would work out better for the team. Don't know if this is possible or not. I don't see Spangler losing the 174 weight class to the other guys. I am just hoping we can get some fight out of the lower weights next year.

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
our biggest holes in the next 2-3 years, will be 133/141....AS i recall that Finch is going to be a career 125lber. Goettl i think will be just like Fanthorpe (which i'd take)....WE have recruited Pena and Schlosser this year to help shore up 133/141, however based off of their senior years it isn't looking like these guys are elite..as Schlosser lost to Sullivan this year and now is apparently academically ineligble till like feb or something like that...And Pena has 4 losses on the year while some were losses to ranked guys it doesn't seem like he is a top 5 or maybe even 10 guy at his weight right now, as he isn't even ranked in on theopenmat.com latest rankings and neither is schlosser. Also i feel pretty worried about Schlosser ever coming to ISU as if he can't get the grades in high school it will be pretty difficult to handle college wrestling and school, but i'll guess we'll see how this evolves, would love to get another recruit this year around the 133/141 weights....Next year hopefully we can get Clark, Meeks who may be the answer to shore up the light weights....

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Where did Coach Jackson's kid go - I did not see him on the depth chart you posted.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
our biggest holes in the next 2-3 years, will be 133/141....AS i recall that Finch is going to be a career 125lber. Goettl i think will be just like Fanthorpe (which i'd take)....WE have recruited Pena and Schlosser this year to help shore up 133/141, however based off of their senior years it isn't looking like these guys are elite..as Schlosser lost to Sullivan this year and now is apparently academically ineligble till like feb or something like that...And Pena has 4 losses on the year while some were losses to ranked guys it doesn't seem like he is a top 5 or maybe even 10 guy at his weight right now, as he isn't even ranked in on theopenmat.com latest rankings and neither is schlosser. Also i feel pretty worried about Schlosser ever coming to ISU as if he can't get the grades in high school it will be pretty difficult to handle college wrestling and school, but i'll guess we'll see how this evolves, would love to get another recruit this year around the 133/141 weights....Next year hopefully we can get Clark, Meeks who may be the answer to shore up the light weights....

Senior left that were in the top 100 are

#19 Edwin Cooper from Illinois (Ranked #4 at 145 in latest TOM)
#27 Terrel Wilbourn from Missouri (Ranked #7 at 140 latest TOM)
#35 Nick Hodgkin from Pa. (Ranked#2 at 145 latest TOM)
#43 Blake Roulo from Virginia (Ranked #6 at 145 latest TOM)
#57 Joey Gosinski from Illinois (Ranked #12 at 130 latest TOM)
#61 Nathan Zarate from Selma, CA (Ranked #10 at 145 latest TOM)
#93 Luke Smith from Illinois (Ranked #15 at 140 latest TOM)

These kids are Seniors and haven't seen where they have committed yet.

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House

Moreno looks like a good possibilty we can pull in, clark is iowa all the way and meeks is up in the air from what I've heard, a lot of schools are taking looks at him but do to lack of out of the state wrestling I think its hurting his recruiting

smitty

Nov 23, 2010
How about abernathy from Indianola. Gadson struggled with him last year in the tourney. He may be a very good 197 pounder for us.

cdrake

Jun 15, 2010
Cael is fantastic at recruiting (Mainly name - undefeated 4 time NCAA Champion and Olympic Gold medalist) Easier to develop the #1 recruit in the nation (David Taylor) than Jones (125# for Cyclones, 4th in 3A as a Senior) I think KJ will start filling the lower weight holes, but will take time. Finch (True Freshman), will be our 125 pounder next year is the real deal. Pena lost a couple matches at big tourneys early in the season to guys ranked (but below him). Sometime they wrestle up a weight for competition, not sure if that's the case. We do need to keep going after the potential 3X AA not the develop into a 1X AA by the time they're Seniors. KJ incoming class was Weatherman and lost the #1 recruiting class in our seniors in addition to Long. PATIENCE IS A B!tch, but that's what we need.

Patience my ***!! We have Bobby Douglas "Light" and should face up to it now. Program is destined to be an also ran if this continues.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Patience my ***!! We have Bobby Douglas "Light" and should face up to it now. Program is destined to be an also ran if this continues.

You stay classy cdrake.

The rest of us who actually follow wrestling will know that we have a coach who is an Olympic Gold Medalist, long time USA Wrestling coach, and obviously has both the drive and the ability to coach our guys to be thier very best.

Literally the only thing that hasn't played out yet is recruiting. But we've already seen the past two years that Jackson can develop the guys in the room.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
You stay classy cdrake.

The rest of us who actually follow wrestling will know that we have a coach who is an Olympic Gold Medalist, long time USA Wrestling coach, and obviously has both the drive and the ability to coach our guys to be thier very best.

Literally the only thing that hasn't played out yet is recruiting. But we've already seen the past two years that Jackson can develop the guys in the room.

Agree. As far as recruiting, Its seems like we will be fairly deep at 165 to Hwt and at 125. Depth problems for next year will be 133-157. That's where we need to concentrate at. Aaron Sorensen, Pena, and Bo Schlosser (sp?) are at those weights. Not sure what is happen with Schlosser and Pena this year. They seem to be having a tough senior year.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
You stay classy cdrake.

I like this line of thought. Jackson brought out the best in Varner and Zabriskie, and appears to be doing the same for Reader, who is finally living up to his billing.

The thing I worry about are the upper weights recruiting. KJ should be able to get top 3 guys at these weights. He was an upper weight, coached two guys to titles(Varner no surprise but Zabriskie was), was a great collegiate wrestler, and was a more successful freestyle wrestler than Sanderson. I still think Sanderson does not win his medal if Moon doesn't somehow beat the Russian(was his name Sazhidov?).

All these upper weights in HS still seem to be glowing on Sanderson's record though. I hate the fact that I have to cheer against the greatest example of an athlete to compete at ISU, but I hope Iowa can continue to beat PSU in the Big 10. This should hopefully quash some of his momentum, at at least outside of Pennsylvania.

Help Support Us

Become a patron