• NASCAR / F1 / etc - Auto Racing

Votes: 29 13.6%
  • UFC / Boxing / WWE / WWF - Pro Wrestling or Impact Sports

Votes: 32 15.0%

• Total voters

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Now that we're officially in the "offseason"... also known as peak CF... I was wondering how many are like me and stuck without any sport whatsoever until CFB picks up again.

Multiple choice poll - which sports do you watch and/or maintain an interest in?

Note that I'm limited in poll choices so had to combine several and some didn't make the cut (perceived least popular).

Reactions: wxman1

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I marked only College Football, College Basketball, NFL. While I pay attention to Iowa State Wrestling and some years may watch a couple NBA games, those 3 are my only "look forward to" events.

Reactions: GTO

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I didn’t mark mlb because I sort of follow it, but I don’t watch many games until the postseason.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I marked the "big three" collegiate sports. I rarely watch pro sports.

I like the Olympics - primarily the track & field events, swimming, gymnastics, figure & speed skating, snowboarding half-pipe, and slalom/downhill skiing events. The Olympic are must see TV for me most of the time. However, I don't really follow those sports at either the collegiate or sub-Olympic levels.
So I'm not sure how you would count that.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Not interested in UFC, boxing or wrestling, no nascar, and the NBA is just horrendous to watch, other than those I’m pretty open.

• Dislike
Reactions: simply1

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
College football has always #1 for me but the NFL is nearly neck and neck now. NFL has made their product so much more enjoyable and accessible (redzone NFL ticket) despite some rule changes being head scratching. Although there is nothing that beats a big time college football game.

NBA playoffs are still appointment tv for me but to be honest my regular season viewing has dwindled. I use to watch 3-4 games a week but I think this year I only watch less than 5 regular season games.

MLB use to be a nightly watch but outside of my favorite team I probably couldn’t name most players on other rosters and that is all on the fault of MLB leadership. There needs to be a case study on what NOT to do to market your product using baseball as an example.

I don’t have the bandwidth for all the rest.

TL;DR football is king

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I was thinking of this same thread topic!

Mine in order, if not listed means I don't follow it at all:
Cyclone football
Cyclone MBB
NBA basketball (lifelong, heavily follow all Cyclones, playoffs every year, no specific fav team)
AS Roma soccer (Serie A, Champions League, Europa League)
College football in general (any upset, lots of teams I like or hate besides ISU)
World Cup/International Soccer (US and to lesser extent Italy)
Chicago Cubs baseball
Cyclone wrestling
Cyclone WBB
NFL Football (more than before now with lots of Cyclones, never had "my team")
Golf majors
Non Cyclones college mbb
UFC

I do like hockey when a friend pulls me into watch it but somehow I've never become a real fan. I don't watch/follow any MLB other than my team and it's mostly a radio sport in the background during work. Cyclone Wrestling and WBB really on upswing now that easier to watch/listen online than years ago.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I would probably list my viewing in this order

Men's bball
College fb
NFL- though NFL has been getting more of my time lately, it may overtake college football as the viewing experience keeps getting worse for college football
Women's bb (though ISU is 85% of this)
NBA playoffs, don't watch many regular season games

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
College football has always #1 for me but the NFL is nearly neck and neck now. NFL has made their product so much more enjoyable and accessible (redzone NFL ticket) despite some rule changes being head scratching. Although there is nothing that beats a big time college football game.

NBA playoffs are still appointment tv for me but to be honest my regular season viewing has dwindled. I use to watch 3-4 games a week but I think this year I only watch less than 5 regular season games.

MLB use to be a nightly watch but outside of my favorite team I probably couldn’t name most players on other rosters and that is all on the fault of MLB leadership. There needs to be a case study on what NOT to do to market your product using baseball as an example.

I don’t have the bandwidth for all the rest.

TL;DR football is king

I think with the NBA you have to try following young teams on the rise if the regular season is going to be interesting. When the Nuggets drafted Monte it kind of got me into following them and my jaw just dropped at how Jokic was changing the game. If I had just followed the teams the TV networks spoon feed us the playoffs would still have been fun those years but the regular season would have been far more boring than seeing this team build itself into a champion step by step.

Indy might be one of those teams right now, they made at least one good roster move, we'll see in offseason and how this playoffs go.

Reactions: ClubCy

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
For the April-August window:

(1) ISU spring sports (softball, golf, tennis, track)
(2) Former Cyclones competing professionally (UFL, CFL, WNBA, etc.)
(3) Auto racing and non-major golf, for Sunday napping purposes only
(4) Major golf
(5) Summer Olympics, but only select sports

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
College football/college bball
NFL

After that a big drop off. Like NBA and NHL playoffs
Probably put baseball below that.
I find watching golf and tennis to be extremely boring

Reactions: demoncore1031

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
College football/college bball
NFL

After that a big drop off. Like NBA and NHL playoffs
Probably put baseball below that.
I find watching golf and tennis to be extremely boring

Golf is interesting...when I was playing a lot I'd watch a lot regardless of cheering for or against players. Now that I'm not playing (other outdoor hobbies replaced it) I have to find some kind of personal reason to have interest, and I rarely do other than maybe a few majors. The Masters is in a 4 way tie mid Sunday right now so you'd think they have 100% of "pure love of golf" viewers, how do they capture more than that?

I thought maybe these guys selling out to Saudi Arabia would create heroes/villains but it seemed to just kind of melt into they're all in the same boat whether they like it or not.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I think with the NBA you have to try following young teams on the rise if the regular season is going to be interesting. When the Nuggets drafted Monte it kind of got me into following them and my jaw just dropped at how Jokic was changing the game. If I had just followed the teams the TV networks spoon feed us the playoffs would still have been fun those years but the regular season would have been far more boring than seeing this team build itself into a champion step by step.

Indy might be one of those teams right now, they made at least one good roster move, we'll see in offseason and how this playoffs go.
It’s probably better to have league pass to see those. I just got sick of looking at the matchups for the night and getting excited to watch let’s say….Celtics/Bucks and then 2-3 stars would be out. I know it’s getting a little bit better and the league has been pushing it to get better but when it was happening night after night after night I just stopped looking forward to regular season games.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I choose CFB, NCABB, and the NFL, as those are the only leagues where I will set time aside to watch.

As @ImJustKCClone said, I’ll also watch the Olympics when they’re on, but not the sports outside of them.

I also like soccer as I grew up playing it, but as I said in my first paragraph, this isn’t something plan my days against. It also doesn’t help I don’t know anyone, or are part of a group that follows it.

Reactions: Jer

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It’s probably better to have league pass to see those. I just got sick of looking at the matchups for the night and getting excited to watch let’s say….Celtics/Bucks and then 2-3 stars would be out. I know it’s getting a little bit better and the league has been pushing it to get better but when it was happening night after night after night I just stopped looking forward to regular season games.

Or one could fly a certain flag ;-)

Haliburton had NEVER been on national TV until he played his way onto national TV by almost winning that in season tournament in the middle of this year. He has fans flying from Asia to watch his games constantly yet American fans didn't even see him on tv. To me that's a sign of how badly they are missing opportunities to market young stars who happen to not be in massive markets.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I marked only College Football, College Basketball, NFL. While I pay attention to Iowa State Wrestling and some years may watch a couple NBA games, those 3 are my only "look forward to" events.
I'm with you on this, and even agree with the order. CFB, MBB, then NFL. After that, I may watch the occasional event, but I can't say that I follow any other sports/ leagues.

Reactions: Jer

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Was really big into NASCAR growing up in the 90s. The sport was different when the Earnhardt’s and some of that old guard were still around. Was also a huge MLB fan growing up but blackout rules + rules changes have me only marginally interested these days.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
ISU BB
ISU FB
Big 12 BB
Big 12 FB
NFL
NBA
Maybe some MLB playoffs

Latest posts