What types of grasses are these?

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
I had this all over my back yard. At the end of the fall last year, I took roundup to it all. This spring I have raked and "kicked" up all the dead weeds I killed off. It has left holes of dirt in my yard that I will now fill with some good dirt and reseed. Hope it works because the rest of my yard looks great.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
As others have said, it's tall fescue. The only ways to get rid of it that I know of are to dig it up or roundup it. Digging seems to work better because you then have a spot to plant new desirable grass. I think I've eliminated 95% of the stuff from my yard over the past couple years but there are still little spot here and there that I need to work on.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
I had this all over my front yard. I had it sprayed last year, and it appears to be dead. Of course the whole yard looks dead until I can get it reseeded. Stuff Sucks!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I still think my best option would be to just dump a few truckloads of sand in my yard and turn the whole thing into a giant feng shui garden.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I had this all over my back yard. At the end of the fall last year, I took roundup to it all. This spring I have raked and "kicked" up all the dead weeds I killed off. It has left holes of dirt in my yard that I will now fill with some good dirt and reseed. Hope it works because the rest of my yard looks great.

My yard guy pretty much told me this is the only way to get that crap out of the yard. The previous owners let it all go so bad, there was no helping it without going scorched earth.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Use vinegar instead. Much much cheaper, will kill about everything and doesn't poison the ground like roundup.

Thanks for the idea. I prefer to always try these natural remedies and forego the chemicals unless absolutely necessary by my house. Many garden plants have proven to be quite susceptible to chemicals. Two additional things I have had success with is one, to use boiling water. Have used it to kill the grass that grows volunteer in a driveway crack. Also have had success by covering an area with a small piece of wood board or tarp. Could use a flower planter if wish to have something more decorative to smother what you wish killed.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I took a grass class last year. I made it two weeks. #FunFactsAboutCynado

Was that like Weeds and grasses or something? I took it and I was terrible at it. Everyone else in it seemed to have been doing it for years and they were basically prepping for a competition that spring.

I learned a ton but my grade was terrible.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
Was that like Weeds and grasses or something? I took it and I was terrible at it. Everyone else in it seemed to have been doing it for years and they were basically prepping for a competition that spring.

I learned a ton but my grade was terrible.

I think it was called turf management or something like that. I needed a class for my agronomy minor and I thought it would be good considering I coach baseball and help with the field. I knew right off the bat that I was behind everyone else (more of a corn and soybeans guy, the rest of the class was horticulture students). After the first couple weeks were all discussing different types of grasses and how to ID them, and realizing that was all the first exam was about, I didn't think it was worth the time.

Finding some much easier stuff to fulfil that minor.

Last edited:

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I think it was called turf management or something like that. I needed a class for my agronomy minor and I thought it would be good considering I coach baseball and help with the field. I knew right off the bat that I was behind everyone else. After two straight weeks of discussing different types of grasses and how to ID them I didn't think it was worth the time.

Finding some much easier stuff to fulfil that minor.

Yeah that's not what I took but it was a similar situation. Mine was Agronomy 330 Weed Identification or something.

I had to take it but I hated it. They just took 50 different plant samples and put them out and you had to identify each one. A large majority looked essentially identical to 3 or 4 other species and the rest were confusing drawings or bad plant presses. Some you had to smell them to tell the difference.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
Yeah that's not what I took but it was a similar situation. Mine was Agronomy 330 Weed Identification or something.

I had to take it but I hated it. They just took 50 different plant samples and put them out and you had to identify each one. A large majority looked essentially identical to 3 or 4 other species and the rest were confusing drawings or bad plant presses. Some you had to smell them to tell the difference.

Ah yes, weed ID. When I asked around about possible classes to take for my minor, that was the consensus "absolutely not!"

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
What types of grasses are these? I am assuming the only way to kill them is to spot treat them, correct? Please tell me I'm wrong.

That is a hybrid of bluegrass- Kentucky bluegrass, featherbed bent and northern California sinsemilla. The amazing stuff about this, is that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on the stuff.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
That is a hybrid of bluegrass- Kentucky bluegrass, featherbed bent and northern California sinsemilla. The amazing stuff about this, is that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on the stuff.

You beat me to it by 5 minutes!

Help Support Us

Become a patron