What will be the next major impact to society?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Let's keep this non-political....

What do you think will be the next big thing to impact society - positively or negatively?

An example one could have given for the past 5-10 years is social media. I would argue it has been a huge negative, some would argue otherwise.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Let's keep this non-political....

What do you think will be the next big thing to impact society - positively or negatively?

An example one could have given for the past 5-10 years is social media. I would argue it has been a huge negative, some would argue otherwise.
Negatively: good luck finding in person health care in about a decade. If you can find it, expect your costs to skyrocket. Both will lead to life expectancy decreases and an increase in preventable mortality.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think I'm most concerned about the convergence of AI with social media, or possibly deep fakes and their ability to create disruption. Both are driven by the same fear - tribal/herd mentality and the inability of so many to decipher real vs fake or to be easily influenced.

My fears are mostly generated by the feeling that far too many people are gullible, believe everything at face value, and/or are easily influenced by their social network or media networks. It doesn't matter their political alignment or religious beliefs, echo chambers have become huge with social media and cable tv on every side.

Facebook groups are probably the best example of something that creates a pen of like-minded sheep, echoing the same false view on whatever is going on. "Influencers" in society today are nothing more than snake oil salesmen of the old days - praying on those easily swayed or already in a corner of the ring, and these two examples work together in so many hurtful ways already.

With the tribal nature of our society, and the tinderbox we seem to be standing on, technology is at a point - or will be in 3-5 years - that it will be exploited in such a way that it's impossible to tell what's reality.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Negatively: good luck finding in person health care in about a decade. If you can’t find it, expect your costs to skyrocket. Both will lead to life expectancy decreases and an increase in preventable mortality.

This is spot on. There are already specialties that have 2+ year waiting lists for patients. Waiting list example would be something as straightforward as ADHD testing is on average 2 years out right now. That's just to get tested. Then you're going to get on another long waiting list for psychiatrists and psychologists.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
AI almost seems like a cliché answer to me, because it seems like that's been the answer to this question for quite a while. But now it seems different. The change that the spread of ChatGPT has had already is impressive. I occasionally use ChatGPT to generate some template code that I can modify, or I ask it to modify code that I give it. I have a Grammarly extension in Chrome, and just today I got a notification from it suggesting that I use GrammarlyGo, which is their new built-in AI tool. More and more apps and websites are building in generative AI capabilities, and that's not going to stop. It could really transform the way we work.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I'm with AI. I'm a huge Dan Brown fan. He released Origin in 2017. I believe I got it out of the box at Barnes and Noble myself before it even went on the shelf. Read it in 2 days- couldn't put it down. When it was done I remember thinking- meh I'll believe it when I see it. With all the news coming out now----Brown nailed it.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
yeah AI. Specifically people not being able to decipher reality from AI generated video or audio. Already some people (especially older folks) can't tell when a pretty obvious CGI image is posted online showing a political figure doing or saying something crazy. Something needs to be done otherwise one of these days we'll all be tricked...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
AI definitely has a lot of potential to cause disruption. I think in many ways it is overblown (the 'intelligence' really isnt all there), but like several other advances in the last 30 years, it could certainly cause a lot of job loss due to productivity gains and the benefits of that will probably be consolidated into a small number of hands increasing the wealth inequality problems in our country. This could hit a wide swath of white collar careers pretty hard.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Frankly AI scares the **** out of me. I love tech and I've played with ChatGPT and found it very usable for certain tasks. The speed at which it's improving is taking everyone by surprise. As an older worker, I'm not going to be able to pivot professionally as quickly as younger people. A ton of entry level jobs will go first, but a lot of white collar jobs are next.

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu and dtISU

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
AI is definitely the biggest one that hasn't been overly politicized into tribes.

It's here. It's working its way into the most creative fields. It learns exponentially teaching itself. Combined with advancing robotics I don't see how it doesn't affect nearly 100% of all fields. I laughed at this recent NYT article that said it was only coming for "boring jobs". I design toys in the movie industry and I've already seen it used in my creative field to brainstorm ideas and sketch concepts. In my experience it's better at the creative fun parts than the less fun details, the opposite of that article.

AI and the traditional kind of automation we've already had for several decades are totally incompatible with our current general view of taxation for "job creators".

Status
Not open for further replies.