What will ISU be ranked?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
What am I missing about Villanova? Yes, their losses are to good teams in Purdue and UCLA but they are 4-2 and their best (only good) win is Tennessee. Is that really worthy of a #6 ranking?
Don't dissect early season polls. It's not worth your time. How many voters actually know much?

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Iowa State was sub-100 in Kenpom before the season. Something like the 6th worst power conference team.

Still only 74th per Kenpom though
Kenpom’s model still uses historical inputs (e.g. 2020) as part of the ranking. Using just this year’s adjusted efficiency rankings, Iowa State is around #20 per Barttorvik’s similar style model. Very impressive, but that #20 ranking has lots of variance and I would caution to project future outcomes. Nonetheless, excited to watch the season unfold.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Lauren Brownlow not only has Memphis ranked and ISU not, but she has Xavier still ranked as well. So does Luke DeCock*. Also Dave Preston. And Aria Gerson.

*No, I didn't make that name up.

It is sad how many times I had to add to this post.

I was just looking at those and about to post -- I'll piggy-back it onto your work.

If a voter doesn’t want to rank ISU yet, I can respect that. But among voters who have ISU NR, these people weren’t paying attention to results of that tournament.

Aria Gerson - Memphis 18, Virginia Tech 23, Xavier 25 (!)
Dave Preston - Memphis 12, Xavier 18
Luke DeCock - Memphis 17, Xavier 21
Lauren Brownlow - Memphis 12, Xavier 23

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Don't want to undersell what our guys were able to do to them. That Memphis team will probably light up anyone without a solid defense.

This is fair, Va Tech is a tough to play as well but I saw nothing from their guards that indicates they are anything special. Their best guys are too young to be serious difference makers and Penny is an AAU bagman, not a head coach. Tough to see them improving much , even with Brown on the staff. They have 1 decent win this year. This will naturally work itself out as they play like 5 sec teams in December but it's a joke they are rated right now. Xavier is a better team than them. The sad thing is, they'll run up wins against the bottom of the AAC and end up getting a favored seed in the ncaa's, because of people buying into this hype.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was just looking at those and about to post -- I'll piggy-back it onto your work.

If a voter doesn’t want to rank ISU yet, I can respect that. But among voters who have ISU NR, these people weren’t paying attention to results of that tournament.

Aria Gerson - Memphis 18, Virginia Tech 23, Xavier 25 (!)
Dave Preston - Memphis 12, Xavier 18
Luke DeCock - Memphis 17, Xavier 21
Lauren Brownlow - Memphis 12, Xavier 23
Nice work. I totally missed that Gerson also had VTech on her ballot. Apparently she had too much turkey and fell asleep during the NIT games.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This is fair, Va Tech is a tough to play as well but I saw nothing from their guards that indicates they are anything special. Their best guys are too young to be serious difference makers and Penny is an AAU bagman, not a head coach. Tough to see them improving much , even with Brown on the staff. They have 1 decent win this year. This will naturally work itself out as they play like 5 sec teams in December but it's a joke they are rated right now. Xavier is a better team than them. The sad thing is, they'll run up wins against the bottom of the AAC and end up getting a favored seed in the ncaa's, because of people buying into this hype.
I think it's fair for people to hang on to Memphis as a team that will be one to reckon with as the season moves on. There is a lot of talent on that team, but yikes, they are completely inept offensively as a team. I also think individually a lot of those guys simply aren't polished enough offensively to be a factor this year. I just don't see Duren and Minott being consistently effective in big roles that would translate to a top 10 or maybe even top 25 team.

I will give it to them - those kids play hard and are willing to play D, so maybe they can still win. But man, they are BAD offensively. They are going to physically overwhelm low major teams and it's going to look good, but when they start playing teams with reasonable athleticism I think they are going to struggle.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If you would have told anyone that ISU would be ranked in November(!), or even at all this season, you would have been labeled a nut job and possible banned from this site.

I would have personally trashed that poster to the extent it would have been a second job.

• Funny
Reactions: Cytasticlone