What's ISU's Skeleton in the Closet?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
As someone who dealt with Royce off the court on Welch, and college friends with a few of the girls he was stalking on campus, you couldn’t be more wrong. Managers had to babysit every time on Welch and also the countless times he was asked to leave establishments on Welch almost regularly.
2013 grad here, can confirm royce acted like a damn clown on Welch.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
As someone who dealt with Royce off the court on Welch, and college friends with a few of the girls he was stalking on campus, you couldn’t be more wrong. Managers had to babysit every time on Welch and also the countless times he was asked to leave establishments on Welch almost regularly.
I could say pretty much the same things about multiple prominent former athletes as well during their time in Ames, including some big time fan favorites, in which a few had been banned from bars on Welch.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I could say pretty much the same things about multiple prominent former athletes as well during their time in Ames, including some big time fan favorites, in which a few had been banned from bars on Welch.

Yet this about Royce, who came here with baggage, and now is even a worse person. But yeah sure, keep thinking he was a “leader”. Funny how you couldn’t refute what I said.

Reactions: MJ29

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I want to say a lot of it was buried in Pammel Woods right next to the old Spangler lab but then dug back up and sent out to a nuclear waste site in Nevada. I think I'm remembering that correctly from Dr. Burras' Agronomy class.

I thought there was a rumor that there was a room or two in Gillman that was sealed from that work as well? Might have just been freshman rumor mill though.

Reactions: GMackey32

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I thought there was a rumor that there was a room or two in Gillman that was sealed from that work as well? Might have just been freshman rumor mill though.
Yeah I think I remember that rumor as well. Also, there's a rock right outside Hamilton Hall at the intersection of Wallace and Beach that has a plaque on it signifying the existence of radioactive materials on campus do to the Manhattan Project. I'll have to make my way over there sometime and freshen up on it.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Yet this about Royce, who came here with baggage, and now is even a worse person. But yeah sure, keep thinking he was a “leader”. Funny how you couldn’t refute what I said.
Everybody and their mothers knew he came here with baggage. Dude got kicked out of Minnesota for stealing a laptop for crying out loud. But he was a leader on the court. Many of our favorite players were leaders on the court, as well, but complete asshats in public when there wasn't a camera on them.

• Dumb
  • Disagree
Reactions: CyDude16 and MJ29

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Everybody and their mothers knew he came here with baggage. Dude got kicked out of Minnesota for stealing a laptop for crying out loud. But he was a leader on the court. Many of our favorite players were leaders on the court, as well, but complete asshats in public when there wasn't a camera on them.

Moving the goal posts, that’s great.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Royce was a leader on the court but was off the rails off it. This isnt hard.

Reactions: VeloClone

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'll still raise you the Eustachy photos partying with college co-eds. BVD and the Athletic department knew of it WELL in advance of the DMR breaking the story yet chose not to do anything about it and let us becoming the laughing stock of the news cycle instead. Anyone around the BB program at the time knew Larry had problems and many even witnessed them in person at some Ames establishments or knew what he was up to when away from the team. But they turned a blind eye to it because we were winning and the AD had every chance to get out in front of the story and be the ones to limit the damage by driving the narrative but Bruce just let them run with it. If that had happened now there probably would be videos of it as it happened on social media but Bruce was basically hand fed that this story was coming out WEEKS before it did including seeing the photos which would never happen now and he still botched the handling of it.

Not saying the the story that came out out Mac was nothing to take lightly at the time it happened but it got nowhere near the national attention that Larry's mess did. And I am still a very vocal Larry supporter to this day and felt we had a path to do damage control on that one and possibly still retain him as coach but our idiot AD at the time allowed that to become a circus where we had no choice but to fire him after the attention it got.

Bruce was an embarrassment himself about how piss poor he ran things and had no vision like Pollard has for growing ISU Athletics. A friend in college shared with me a story of a run in he had with Bruce while watching a soccer game. Apparently his wife and kids were sitting a few rows in front of them and when Bruce showed up she said something to him and pointed back at them. He talked to them and scolded them for apparently talking bad of him in front of his family. Well the funny thing is they never were talking about him at all and didn't know it was his family in front of them so they told him they don't know what he was talking about and maybe if everyone didn't hate him so much maybe they wouldn't be so paranoid to think they were. He then asked them what they meant by that like he had no clue people didn't like him which they laughed and rattled off a bunch of things like him cutting baseball, firing Larry, and various other failures he had why maybe people didn't like him.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Since his name came up numerous times in this thread, it seems appropriate to share this link here.

That story was kind of gross the way it was written. I'm all for people getting help for their issues but they acted like oops this happened to me because I was sad.

• Agree
Reactions: MJ29 and 1100011CS

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
His interviews from years ago with long winded answers that felt like he was just blaming everyone else instead of really taking on his issues iirc weren't nationally huge but I didn't come out of it a bigger fan.

Again not on a national level of scrutiny but it's pretty embarrassing if there's truth to some players needing to be babysat during their time at ISU in the Fred years.
Fred had a lot of babysitting to do.

• Agree
Reactions: HGoat1

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
The odd part on that was, while Gene Smith said he accepted the explanation and situation, he still cut Dan's salary by 100k. I didn't fully understand the thought that if there was nothing there really, why are you still punishing the hire?
Campus Reader or cityview blasted the hire. But,you know, Coach Mac was later one of the most appreciative coaches.And you could see how much his HOF induction meant to him.

Reactions: BCClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron