What's sports moment would you want to be a part of?

What's sports moment would you want to be a part of?

• Walk off homerun

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Game winning basket in basketball

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Birdie shot to win a golf tournament

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Game winning shot in soccer

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Game winning touchdown in football

Votes: 10 16.1%

• Total voters

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
So CyGuy and I were talking at the bar and were wondering what you all thought. Out of the 5 sports moments listed above which one would you want to do to win a game.

I chose the walk off homerun just because I'm a huge baseball fan. CyGuy chose the game winning basket and so did the other guy we were hanging out with.

So which one would you guys choose?

P.S.- Mug Night got the best of me so sorry for errors in the post.

Last edited:

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I've had a grand slam that was a walk off only because it guaranteed 10 run rule. Not the same as a true walk-off, but it's a great feeling! :smile:

Had a couple of game winning goals in soccer, one in the last minute.

I suppose out of your list, probably a game winning basket. My best friend had a couple senior year that made me a little jealous.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Was coaching when a player of mine intercepted pass on 4th down in overtime to win state title. That was pretty sweet.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I have hit a game winning shot in basketball. It was a great feeling, but I chose walkoff homer. Not everyone could hit a homerun.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Walkoff homerun. I never managed one of those in baseball in high school, but I did in a slowpitch softball game, which extended our run in the league tournament. It was everything I ever imagined it would be. :jimlad:

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
My senior of college we entered our last regular season game 9-1 and played a team who was also 9-1. With the how the district rankings worked out and how games ended up earlier in the day the winner of the game would go onto the D2 national playoffs and we all knew that going into the game.

With 14 seconds left in the game from the 5 yard line we called a play where I pulled and was the personal protector on a roll out stretch pass play which we scored on and won the game. So I didn't score the TD but it was awesome to be out there leading the QB and see the whole thing uravel right in front of you as I really only had to pick up a guy after the ball was pretty much gone. I can still see that play in my head like it was yesterday.

Also played in two games in college where we won in double and triple OT with a walk off touchdown similar to ISU-Iowa 2011. Those are a nerve racking blast to play in.

In high school I hit two game winning shots in bball. The excitement and sense of urgency that is created during a game winning drive in football is more fun to be a part of IMO.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
Gotta go with the Walk-off Homerun. Never hit one but trotting around the bases with all eyes on you, knowing you just won it. No other sport gives you the victory trot that everyone has to watch.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
My senior of high school we ended up winning like 2 games I think. Anyway, one of those games we came back from behind to either tie with about 2 seconds left. My best buddy in high school stole the inbounds pass to half court. Took one dribble. Put it up just past the half court line. Drilled it. Really cool to see it all go down. I never really had the chance to do something like that but think it would be great to do!

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Give me the 160 yard 7 iron snap hook from the left side deep rough to 15 feet and then cupping a birdie putt with 6 feet of break in it. :smile:

At Augusta of course. With a green jacket on the line.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Change the question a bit:

Walk of HR to win the World Series (Joe Carter)
Game winning TD of the Super Bowl (John Taylor from Joe Montana)
Birdie to win a major on the last hole or playoff (Bubba / Phil at Augusta)
Game winning basket to win the NCAA Tournament (Keith Smart - Indiana)
Soccer sucks -

Because the history will last longer, I think I have to take the birdie to win the Masters...........that gets you invited back for the rest of your life to play in the greatest golf tournament in the U.S.A. (some will view the Open Championship as the greatest).

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I've hit a walkoff double which is close enough. So I'll say half court shot, I love bball but am pisspoor at it.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
Change the question a bit:

Walk of HR to win the World Series (Joe Carter)
Game winning TD of the Super Bowl (John Taylor from Joe Montana)
Birdie to win a major on the last hole or playoff (Bubba / Phil at Augusta)
Game winning basket to win the NCAA Tournament (Keith Smart - Indiana)
Soccer sucks -

Because the history will last longer, I think I have to take the birdie to win the Masters...........that gets you invited back for the rest of your life to play in the greatest golf tournament in the U.S.A. (some will view the Open Championship as the greatest).

It didn't win the WS but it sparked the Dodgers. Gonna have to say Kirk Gibson would be one of the greatest walk offs of all time.

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
I voted walk off. At first I thought this thread was gonna be about a sports moment we'd like to have been a part of ourselves. I would have picked the '91 World Series if that had been the question.

Help Support Us

Become a patron