Whats up with gas prices?

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
It is always hard to tell. I know OPEC made a comment recently about wanting a barrel of oil to cost a certain amount. I don't recall what that amount was...maybe 55 or 60. Anyway, they are probably reducing supply to drive up prices. I don't really know.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
I think it's gone up something like 20 cents a gallon in Ames over the last few days...anybody know what gives?

There is, surprise, surprise, speculation in the oil markets; the speculators are betting that the recession is moderating and that the economy will recover sooner than expected. That being the supposition, those guys feel that as the stock market goes up, the demand for gas will eventually follow. Remember that the stock market normally recovers before the actual economy starts to grow and way before job losses cease. So, look for gas prices to follow the stock market, if not precisely to track it. Moral? Don't buy that gas-hog suv, thinking that gas will stay below $2.50; ain't gonna happen.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I've got an idea..its a fact that oil always goes up as demand increases for Memorial day travel. Lets all buy oil futures and wait to sell that week. Our speculation oil purchases will drive up the price even further, and we can get $4.00 / gallon prices AND WE ALL PROFIT!! WOO HOO!!

:jimlad: #1 REASON OIL DOES NOT FOLLOW SUPPLY AND DEMAND LAWS!!!

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Less uncertaininty in the world = higher prices.

Watch out. If inflation sets in like many economists are predicting, it will make gas very expensive for U.S. citizens.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006

Watch out. If inflation sets in like many economists are predicting, it will make gas very expensive for U.S. citizens.

If inflation sets in like they're predicting, it will make everything very expensive for us.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah, that always happens in ames. Better to fill up in des moines if your route back takes you through there. Being from WDM, i always filled up the tank when i came home, bc it was always 10-15 cents cheaper here.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

I always thought that MORE uncertainty and unrest worldwide caused prices to rise.

Actually it has more to do with speculation. Retracement back towards the extreme highs. The irony of the whole thing is that lower energy prices fuels the recovery, but if recovery is deemed to be happening that speculators will drive prices higher anticipating higher demand.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
There have been several refinery shutdowns in the last month because of the drop in demand and an increase in inventories. The price of crude and gas on the enchanges is up over 10% in the last 10 days.

That being said, the price of gas in Des Moines has not gone up that much in the last few days.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
It simple, Memorial Day is in a few weeks. They're just ramping up the prices in preparation.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I agree with pulse, they always jack it up before a holiday and summer driving season.