What's your major?

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
What did you major in? BS? or grad school? or no degree? Is there anything else you would have done had it not been for money/time/difficulty of courses etc. ? Did you double major? Is your current job related in any way, shape, or form to what you went to school for or what you did in school?

For example, I'm majoring in ChE, and would like to go to grad school for nuclear or petroleum engineering. If it weren't for the whole starting over thing or the lack of pay in the jobs thing, I would've liked to have majored in Philosophy or Economics. In my experience with internships, those used only a small part of what I learned in school, mostly they just used the problem solving skills that I have picked up along the way.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
What did you major in? BS? or grad school? or no degree? Is there anything else you would have done had it not been for money/time/difficulty of courses etc. ? Did you double major? Is your current job related in any way, shape, or form to what you went to school for or what you did in school?

For example, I'm majoring in ChE, and would like to go to grad school for nuclear or petroleum engineering. If it weren't for the whole starting over thing or the lack of pay in the jobs thing, I would've liked to have majored in Philosophy or Economics. In my experience with internships, those used only a small part of what I learned in school, mostly they just used the problem solving skills that I have picked up along the way.

You just figured out half of what you should have learned in college. Congratulations! Now learn how to work with others and get along with people and your education will be complete. You have taken your first step into a larger world!

As for me, Poli Sci degree, with an Entrepeneurial Studies minor.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Masters student in Mechanical Engineering and Biorenewable Resources and Technologies

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
It doesn't matter what I majored in because I'm not using it. Good thing I didn't spend to much time learning that stuff.

If I could do it all over again, I WOULD.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Double majored in Journalism and Mass Communication and Political Science with a minor in Environmental Studies. I'm currently in grad school for education and using very few of the hard skills I learned from undergrad (besides research). However, like you mentioned, a lot what is applicable are some of those intangibles that I picked up along the way like problem solving, communication, and playing well with others.

FlashGordon

Dec 14, 2008
Ames
Majored in Psych, after starting in Ag Education. Picked up an English minor for fun, and was done in 4.5 years. Decided against grad school, so far.

In retrospect, woulda done the same.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
chemistry-bs
biochem and biophys-masters
bichem-and nuclear engineering-ph.d double major

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Graduate in May with B.S. in Agronomy. Then on to Masters in Agronomy.

If I could do it again, I might have majored in Ag. Business instead. I would also like to start farming now, but my family situation wont allow it and it is really, really, really expensive.

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
I'm currently a senior in finance which kind of sucks with the current economic situation. Can't really go on to an MBA right out of my undergrad so I'm kind of stuck in a limbo situation at the moment. Yet, I'm hopeful that a good job is still in my immediate postgrad future.

I second in wishing sports management was still an option. I've enjoyed my time in finance though, and it has been pretty easy, but I chose it in thinking that it would guarantee me a decent job. Now it seems like that is not as much of a certainty. If I could do it over again I would probably major in something agriculturally related as that was what I was exposed to in my youth and enjoy.