When a D-back pulls on a WR Jersey...

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
during the route, isn't that a PI? On Purdy's first INT, the Hinkins fellow reached out and tugged on Hutchinson's jersey. Can believe that didn't get called.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
during the route, isn't that a PI? On Purdy's first INT, the Hinkins fellow reached out and tugged on Hutchinson's jersey. Can believe that didn't get called.

He grabbed him by the pants. Was talked about quite a bit. Hutchinson had him beat and had Hankins not grabbed the pants it could have been seven because separation would have been early. As it was......instead of checking down Purdy waits for Hutchinson to get more separation later in the route and it didn't happen. The answer to your question is yes........it should have been called it wasn't like he was trying to hide anything. Hankins knew he was beat and did what you are suppose to in college if you think it's going for a big play. A penalty is preferable to a huge gain or a TD. Like Herbstreit said....."he got away with it".

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
They allowed some jersey tugging, but you're allowed to have your hands on them, just can't influence their ability to make a play. I would argue he may have done that.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Definitely defensive holding. I've always thought Iowa's DB's get away with a crazy amount of contact and grabbing early in plays which makes it hard for WR to separate. They are very good at playing the ball once it's thrown though so they don't get called for P.I. very often. I compare it to West Virginia's defense in basketball. Grab and push constantly and the refs wont call it as long as you don't foul in the act of shooting or grab the receiver while the ball is in the air.

• Haha
Reactions: FatNTired

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
I understand the sentiment of the op…however, good teams don’t allow the refs to decide games (and I don’t think you’re saying the refs decided this game). You beat your guy over and over- which forces either a long play or the refs have to start calling it.

I cringe at the idea we’re retreating back to the refs as part of our teams’ problems. Last year- we didn’t have these discussions because we were winning. The more you win, the less impact the refs seem to have. The offense needs to get it figured out- and fast. Once they do, we won’t be talking about bad officiating anymore.

Reactions: CycloneVet

MisterO

Dec 6, 2020
Not trying to change the subject. On a side note…not sure if y’all listened to the locker room show after the UNI game. In his interview, CMC criticized the refs publicly without criticizing the refs. He said something to the effect that ‘I should’ve challenged that call, it was a learning opportunity for me to know to challenge that call’. The refs do suck when it comes to ISU- CMC knows it, we know it, but you have to play beyond them.

CMC is brilliant- absolutely brilliant. Just like that clip someone posted of him shoulder checking Jacob Park in the Texas game. A perfect lesson on how to hit a bonehead player that deserves it…without hitting a player. CMC will right the ship by the time conference play rolls around. I still have my flight booked to NOLA.

MisterO

Dec 6, 2020
refs definitely are not our problem and are not the reason we lost this game. They missed a few McDonald holds though. No, we cost ourselves the game with poor special teams and of course turnovers.
100% agree- poor WMcD got held on, what seemed like, every play. It’s the only way they can stop him- guy is a freak!

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
That was a terrible missed call by the ref.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
They’re not gonna call every jersey tug. Purdy underthrew him. The commentators said it was a timing issue but if he throws 5 yards out and 5 yards deeper it’s a different game.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That back judge was not good the whole day.

Also did anyone else notice there was an African American female ref a part of that crew? Maybe this has happened before and I had never noticed it. I wouldn’t of even caught it but I noticed her as she ran on the field because I was at the bottom of the NW hill at the time.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That back judge was not good the whole day.

Also did anyone else notice there was an African American female ref a part of that crew? Maybe this has happened before and I had never noticed it. I wouldn’t of even caught it but I noticed her as she ran on the field because I was at the bottom of the NW hill at the time.

First time ever.

**EDIT: that was the NFL, not sure of NCAA.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee